PDA

View Full Version : New Rifle Shooting to the Left

Redberens
11-24-10, 19:50
Today I sighted in my new Colt 6720, and I had a question about the point of impact. At 25 yards it was shooting 3 1/2" to the right. To get it centered, the rear sight needed to be moved almost all the way to the left.

My rear sight is the Daniel Defense A1.5. Ammunition used was American Eagle 55gr fmj and W-W 64gr Power Point. The Winchester load was a little tighter, but shot to the right as well.

Any ideas on what might cause this? I checked the tightness of the rear sight, and as far as I can see, the barrel doesn't appear to be canted over. I'm wondering if I should have it sent back to Colt to check it out?

markm
11-24-10, 20:02
If it does the same thing with the OEM carry handle, I'd contact Colt to get it checked out.

IrishDevil
11-24-10, 20:02
Bench shooting or offhand? Don't want to offend, but it could be the Indian. As I have no understanding of your ability, and I've seen it with new shooters.

Big +1 on trying the carry handle.

Redberens
11-24-10, 20:24
This one came from Clyde Armory, and wasn't offered with a carry handle. I had my choice of the Matech folding rear and the Daniel Defense A1.5.

Shooting was done from a rest. I appreciate the indian comment. It happens at my department all the time, and I'm usually the guy who checks the rookie's gun when he/she complains it's shooting low left. But you're right - never overlook the obvious.

Has anyone dealt with Colt on a warranty issue? S&W sent out a shipping label to have a revolver sent back and I'm wondering if Colt does the same or if shipping is on me.

markm
11-24-10, 20:30
I trust that you're an competent indian! :D Does anyone you know have a Colt carry handle you could borrow just to make sure that it's not an issue with the DD sight?

Redberens
11-24-10, 20:52
That's a good idea. Our tac guys M4's all have Aimpoints on them, so hopefully they threw all the carry handles in a box somewhere.

Norman
11-25-10, 08:08
It doesn’t have to be a Colt carry handle. Any decent rear sight will do. If that doesn’t solve the problem, there’s a chance your front sight base is canted. I would contact Clyde Armory.

The_Hammer_Man
11-25-10, 13:41
I and others have had this problem a few times with DD's 1.5 rear sight.

Turn it around backwards and see if that helps. (yes it makes your wep look odd but if it works.. it works.)

Also check to see if you fsb is canted. Had that prob with one of our guys brand new rifles... took a few hours of diddling with it.. but we got her fixed.

markm
11-26-10, 18:49
It doesn’t have to be a Colt carry handle. Any decent rear sight will do. If that doesn’t solve the problem, there’s a chance your front sight base is canted. I would contact Clyde Armory.

Yeah.. It can be a Colt or a BCM. I just wouldn't throw some bushmaster carry handle or other aftermarket stuff on their and expect good results.

rat31465
11-26-10, 21:53
Is the sight on backwards?
I have seen this cause issues with windage adjustments before.

Redberens
11-28-10, 19:57
I and others have had this problem a few times with DD's 1.5 rear sight.

Turn it around backwards and see if that helps. (yes it makes your wep look odd but if it works.. it works.)

Also check to see if you fsb is canted. Had that prob with one of our guys brand new rifles... took a few hours of diddling with it.. but we got her fixed.

This is the first I've heard of any issues with the DD A1.5. What kind of problems do they cause? Should I be calling DD instead?

ra2bach
11-29-10, 14:41
This is the first I've heard of any issues with the DD A1.5. What kind of problems do they cause? Should I be calling DD instead?

me neither. I have never heard of DD having these problems but I have heard mention of Troy sights that do.

I have a midlength that has the same problem except the other direction. I started out with a Troy and it need 21 clicks correction. then I switched to a DD1.5 and it did too. it's the gun...

SOF1971
12-09-10, 19:29
I've had trouble with several brands of flip up rear sights pivot pin sliding out which makes hitting the target very difficult, definately prefer the carry handle sights.