PDA

View Full Version : Possibly moving to VA

7.62NATO
11-24-10, 21:21
Virginians,

It appears I may have the opportunity to relocate to VA in the near future. Hence, I reach out to y'all. What cities/towns in Virginia are booming or up and coming? I'm looking for a community with a strong job market, good schools and affordable housing. My preference is to find a place with 10+ acres in a somewhat rural area. Please let me know what's available and also what areas to avoid. Also, please chime in about anything in particular I should bear in mind when making said move. Many thanks to y'all.

Sincerely,
7.62NATO

m4fun
11-25-10, 12:14
All of Northern Virginia is full. Please do not come, unless you can convince a liberal to leave.

Seriously, can only speak to the "Northern" part and it continues to boom from Leesburg down to Haymarket and cutting across the south central VA to Fredericksburg.

And if you can even find 10 acres you would have to have several million $$$.

Ak44
11-25-10, 12:26
I think its safe to say Virginia and Northern VA are two different states haha.

CarlosDJackal
11-25-10, 15:04
I think its safe to say Virginia and Northern VA are two different states haha.

Northern VA (NoVA) can also be considered as "Southern DC". :p

Robb Jensen
11-25-10, 16:29
Northern VA (NoVA) can also be considered as "Southern DC". :p

Just with better gun laws. I live in Hoodbridge (aka Woodbridge).

7.62NATO
11-27-10, 20:49
Lynchburg, Fredericksburg, Lynchburg, Richmond and Charlottesville have been floated my way. What's the verdict on these? Gracias.

Ak44
11-27-10, 22:28
Lynchburg, Fredericksburg, Lynchburg, Richmond and Charlottesville have been floated my way. What's the verdict on these? Gracias.

I lived in Richmond a long time ago it has definitely changed and seems like it's getting worse.

JSantoro
11-28-10, 13:42
Richmond's like Diet Memphis. Ick.

Fredericksburg's damned nice. Smallish, historical-type town, in the core, with the College of William and Mary contained within. Centrally located along the eastern end of the state, lots of road access, plus the VRE can make commuting to jobs in the DC Metro area...well, somewhat less painful than driving the same commute. You may pay for it, but acreage is a likely get, particularly slightly westward.

Not familiar enough with Lynchburg, to say one way or another.

Boss Hogg
11-28-10, 13:50
Diet Memphis? hahaha.

I'm not sure about Fredericksburg. I find the traffic there to be as bad as anywhere in Fairfax or Loudoun counties. With only 2 bridges over the Rappahannock (1 and 95) you have serious choke points.

JSantoro
11-28-10, 14:49
That's certainly true. The first intersection coming off of I95 Exit 130, heading west on Rt 3 is a doozy during the rush for about 3 miles (eastbound being only slightly better), but you can practically hear the Looney Tunes theme in the background where Warrenton Rd and Jeff Davis Hwy intersect.

I'm moving to that immediate vicinity, myself, but can thankfully juke eastward just north of that and avoid going anywhere near the bridges.

Rmplstlskn
11-29-10, 09:45
I can only comment about Charlottesville, as I live here... But NOVA is way too congested for me, but that is where a lot of jobs are...

Charlottesville is a liberal hive among conservative-majority farmland, and the home of Jefferson's University of Virginia. I do not recommend living "in town" but in areas surrounding it (semi-rural, ranches, farmland). It is a beautiful area with a skyline of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Some wonderful areas here. But somewhat expensive. Not as bad as NOVA by any means, but higher than rural areas of VA.

Employment is not so hot... A small town with a non-business friendly gov't, so not much going on unless you are in EDUCATION (UVa), MEDICAL (UVa Hospital), or have SECURITY CLEARANCE, as there are lots of opportunities here in the .mil and civilian military contractors. But you need that Security credentials... I have been trying for YEARS to get in the door somewhere that will help me get my security clearances, but no luck.

On the bright side, we have a very nice PRIVATE gun club (Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club) that has an active Black Rifle group of members.

Many people here buy homes in Louisa, Green counties or across the mountain in Waynesboro and commute. Anything in Albemarle is going to cost you... but with the economic woes, there are some DESPERATE sellers out there... We lucked into an affordable place just 6 miles outside town back in 2005... So jems can be found...

Good luck in your choice...

Rmpl

TY44934
11-29-10, 11:33
Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal
Northern VA (NoVA) can also be considered as "Southern DC".

Yep.

Just with better gun laws. I live in Hoodbridge (aka Woodbridge).

True. I live even further to the North - inside D.C.'s beltway. This area is much like the rest of the land inside the beltway - except the guns laws here are excellent in comparison.

OP: "booming" + "10 Acres" = not going to happen around here unless you can tolerate a loooong comute or you have big $$ to spend.

I live in Fairfax county; around here the price of admission for an older single family home is 1/2 million to $750K, and they routinely tear down houses like mine to build McMansions. 10 acres? How many millions will you be bringing to the table?

Really cheap land is all in the southwestern part of the state or up in the mountains.

Other than price, Virginia is a great place to live.

7.62NATO
11-29-10, 21:22
Thank you for your replies. I probably should add that my wife is in health care and is looking for a town/city with a reasonably sized hospital/clinic. We're currently looking closely at Roanoke, Lynchburg, Richmond and Charlottesville. I'm a conservative Christian man and am looking for like-minded folks. Again, thanks to M4C.

CarlosDJackal
11-30-10, 12:55

I moved to Charlottesville more than 10-years ago and still work in the area. It's full of uber-Liberals but that's because of the university and its Law School.

I actually live 20-minutes north (Greene County), I still recommend the area although I am not too keen on living within the city limits.

Good luck!!