PDA

View Full Version : Final Configuration - AK103k

Canonshooter
11-25-10, 09:17
Note - I also posted this in the AK pic thread.

After a few years of slowly modifying my Krebs Custom AK103k to best fit my needs - HD/SHTF and an occassional IDPA carbine match - I have finally got it where I want it. Mods to the base rifle include;

- ACE Internal Block Receiver
- ACE Folding Mechanism with integrated AR15 Stock Interface
- Magpul CTR on mil-spec tube (shortened and pinned to folding mechanism)
- Palm Grip
- Tapco Intrafuse lower hand guard
- Magpul AFG v.1
- Ultimak
- Aimpoint CompC3 in Springfield Armory low ring, Aimpoint Killflash
- Surefire M600C Scout Light in Gear mount

A few other notes;

- Total weight minus magazine is 8 lbs., 14oz.
- The pressue switch for the M600C Scout Light is secured with Loctite Plastic Epoxy to the Tapco handguard and I suspect I will need a hammer and chisel if I want/need to remove it. It is well-positioned to activate with the support hand thumb.
- Iron sights cowitness through Aimpoint
- The rifle handles very well with the new stock and does not feel nose heavy.
- With Brown Bear FMJ ammo, the rifle is consistenty sub 3 MOA and has never fumbled a single round in the 4 years I have owned it
- As expected with a Krebs Saiga conversion, fit, finish and function are superb. This is without any hesitation my "go-to" rifle.

Shown with Hungarian 20 round magazine;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/ak103k-16.jpg

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/ak103k-17.jpg

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/ak103k-18.jpg

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/ak103k-19.jpg

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/ak103k-20.jpg

thatpanda
11-25-10, 09:56
well done! looks like a whole lot of fun

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-25-10, 10:03
Very nice.

Iraqgunz
11-25-10, 11:12
That is one bad ass AK.

Pikey
11-25-10, 12:01
Very well thought out. Not to heavy. Looks great.

subzero
11-25-10, 16:21
No SWIFT Lever or similar style substitute? How can you be done?

SeriousStudent
11-25-10, 16:33
Very interesting!

Can you talk for just a minute about the sling system you picked, and how it works for you with this particular weapon?

I keep kicking around a 5.45 AK, based on ammo prices. Posts like yours do not help my self-restraint. ;)

Thanks for the thread, and especially the clear pics.

Canonshooter
11-25-10, 16:43
No SWIFT Lever or similar style substitute?

That is certainly a consideration!

Canonshooter
11-25-10, 17:19
Can you talk for just a minute about the sling system you picked, and how it works for you with this particular weapon?

It's an older Blue Force Gear 2-point quick adjust sling that you unclip the buckle to lengthen it. It will probably be replaced with a new BFG Vickers style sling.

11B101ABN
11-26-10, 03:26
That thing is wicked sweet.

The AFG looks like it was made for it. Well done.

Mark71
11-26-10, 03:36
That is one bad ass AK.

Agreed! Definitely one of the nicest AK’s that I have seen.

rdm
11-26-10, 06:58
I'm curious about the intrafuse handguard, does it have a heatshield? Has it shown signs of melting after being run hard in a short period of time? Also, did you try any other AR stock adapters prior to this?

Thanks.

Canonshooter
11-26-10, 10:21
I'm curious about the intrafuse handguard, does it have a heatshield? Has it shown signs of melting after being run hard in a short period of time? Also, did you try any other AR stock adapters prior to this?

Thanks.

The Intrafuse handguard had a thin heat shield but I had to remove it to make room for the Ultimak mounting brackets. The handguard also required some minor interior trimming with a Dremel to make it fit over the Ultimak brackets.

The handguard itseld is pretty beefy and appears to be made of a fiber re-enforced polymer. Though I have not subjected the handguard to hard (hot) use, I sincerely doubt there will be any issues under normal use. That said, I'm sure someone could do a bunch of mag dumps in succession and heat stress it. Since I don't use the rifle that way, I'm not concerned about it.

kartoffel
11-26-10, 10:36
Sometimes a little brass or aluminum sheet metal can be trimmed to fit between the barrel and handguard. I've used brass shim stock before and it does a great job of keeping wooden handguards from scorching.

Good looking rifle, by the way :)

doodi1
11-26-10, 10:50
Canonshooter, I really like what you have done with this Krebs. How do you like the US Palm grip compared to the Tapco you had before?

wargasm
11-26-10, 11:06
Very nice.

Canonshooter
11-26-10, 12:39
Canonshooter, I really like what you have done with this Krebs. How do you like the US Palm grip compared to the Tapco you had before?

Thanks!

The Palm is a definite improvement - not so much in grip comfort or control, but in having a usable storage area. The Tapco SAW grip is really nice in all but one regard - the trap door to the storage is a total POS. It's flimsy, doesn't seal at all and looks like it would pop open if I actually put anything in the grip. The Palm has a very nice, tight-sealing captured "plug." I plan on placing (at least) a few allen keys in there in the event I have to remove the Aimpoint or Surefire light in the field. I'm also looking for a small oil bottle that will fit in there and is leak-proof.

SeriousStudent
11-26-10, 19:34
Thanks!

...... I'm also looking for a small oil bottle that will fit in there and is leak-proof.

IIRC, there was a thread on here not to long ago, where people listed sources for exactly what you seek.

I think the best candidate was a website that sold supplies for lightweight camping gear.

eternal24k
11-26-10, 21:59
looks great!
thoughts on the folding mechanism?
the 103 is my favorite next to the Beryl

Canonshooter
11-27-10, 06:03
thoughts on the folding mechanism?

The ACE folding mechanism is well made and locks up solidly. No complaints!

rob_s
11-27-10, 06:19
I can only find one part on that gun that I would use on my own! LOL. Interesting how different these things can be from one another to us but to the general public your gun and mine would look identical. It's nice to see the market support the AK this way and allow for that level of customization.

Get out there and run it in some classes and matches. There's nothing like outshooting the AR guys with an AK.

pcardinal42
11-27-10, 08:07
Wow, that is unbelievably sexy.

eternal24k
11-27-10, 08:45
I can only find one part on that gun that I would use on my own! LOL. Interesting how different these things can be from one another to us but to the general public your gun and mine would look identical. It's nice to see the market support the AK this way and allow for that level of customization.

Get out there and run it in some classes and matches. There's nothing like outshooting the AR guys with an AK.

lol, sad but true.
And to the media an AR-15 is an "AK-47" or an "M-16"

Canonshooter
11-27-10, 15:56
Not too many (if any at all) winter carbine matches here in NH. But once the season starts again, I will be running the AK in the local IDPA matches. Not to beat the AR guys, but to simply get some time with the rifle and work on being as smooth and proficient with handling/operation as possible.

Yes indeed, even though lost on the Average Joe who may see them, each of us have different priorities when setting up a rifle.

kal
11-27-10, 16:27
http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml

http://www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/8-5-10/SaigaSportingSafety.jpg

http://www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/3-21-10/MkVISafety.jpg

;)

Canonshooter
11-27-10, 21:13
^^^^ I NEED TO ORDER ONE OF THOSE ^^^^

kartoffel
11-28-10, 15:38
^^^^ I NEED TO ORDER ONE OF THOSE ^^^^

They really are excellent. I've got a Krebs unit on one gun and a home made one on another. The only drawback with an enhance selector lever is that if you train with it exclusively, you might find yourself somewhere with a gun that's not so equipped. Of course the same thing applies for BAD levers, ambi safeties, etc.