PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a 1-4x mount - High or Standard Height?

Fried Chicken Blowout
11-25-10, 09:26
I'm looking for a QD optic mount for a 1-4x optic to mount on an AR, and I'm not sure if I want the High version or the standard version. It would be nice to be able to get the BUIS under the optic incase I needed to pop it off. This would call for the high mount, but I don't want to give my self cheek weld problems by jacking the optic up higher than it needs to be. How do I make this decision and what factors am I missing?

MarkG
11-25-10, 10:30
You will definitely want to get high mounts both for BUIS clearance and proper eye alignment.

mdashoot
12-15-10, 21:15
Larue SPR LT-104 QD mount.
Im sure the Troy BUIS fit under the scope with this mount.
If not, they make one thats taller.
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=30

Belmont31R
12-15-10, 21:20
You shouldn't have an issue with most optics and irons with the 1.5" height.

The 1.93" is nice that its a lot easier for rapid shots as the way the gun recoils you get on target quicker.

Downside is for precision shooting its a little bit harder to get a solid cheekweld.

Ideally Id like a 1.75" mount but they dont make that.

So if most of for your shooting is drills Id get the taller mount. Most od it precision based with some drills the 1.5.

TehLlama
12-15-10, 21:41
For me it comes down to how comfortably you can shoot at distance at high magnification on the higher mount. Being able to quickly acquire is a fantastic advantage, but if you can't shoot comfortably zoomed in, then you're better off getting a micro Aimpoint which is cheaper, or running it lower.

I can't get comfortable with the 1.93 heigh and any zoom at all (I actually put my eye too low for normal mounts when using zoom optics), so I keep mine on a 1.5, and for anything else run a T1 on a tall mount.

ALCOAR
12-15-10, 22:02
So if most of for your shooting is drills Id get the taller mount. Most od it precision based with some drills the 1.5.

Its that simple:)

shootist~
12-15-10, 23:39
Even the standard 1.5" (such as the Larue LT-104) is too high for me for an ideal cheek weld. A Nightforce 2.5-10x32 (with factory scope covers) in this mound clears a Troy BUIS by about 0.2".

CQC.45
12-16-10, 08:24
How would a high mount and a cheek riser work (e.g. CTR riser)?

Fried Chicken Blowout
12-16-10, 08:41
I ended up getting the ADM Recon, which I think is the same dimensions as the LaRue 1.5... I just couldn't get the LaRue for a good price. The ADM was on sale at Brownell's and I got it for $147 DELIVERED. I'm real impressed with it's quality and how it attaches to the rail. Easy to get a perfect fit. The only issue I had was that the recital shifts as you tighten the screws up. It was difficult to keep everything level.

It seems to be pretty similar in heigth to the AimPoint on my other gun so the cheek weld seem natural. BUT... My MagPul MBUS does not fit under it. I'll be running it without any backups until I can get a lower profile rear folder. Hopefully the Gen 2 MBUS comes out soon.

TehLlama
12-17-10, 21:41
How far forward are you running the optic? Mine's a fairly tight fit over my Matech and MBUS units (a few paper widths), but I can get it to fit. That said, it's the LT104 (SPR) mount, with the optic as far forward in the mount as possible and then mounted with the front flush with the front of the upper, but I have enough clearance (though it doesn't look like I do)

Fried Chicken Blowout
12-17-10, 22:33
I've got the centered the middle of the rings and the mount all the way forward on the upper. I've I got another farther forward I loose my eye relief sweet spot. The MBUS is about 1/8" too tall to fit. The eye piece on the Nikon M223 is very large, larger than most others I looked at so that may be the issue.

MistWolf
12-18-10, 03:54
I'm looking for a QD optic mount for a 1-4x optic to mount on an AR, and I'm not sure if I want the High version or the standard version. It would be nice to be able to get the BUIS under the optic incase I needed to pop it off. This would call for the high mount, but I don't want to give my self cheek weld problems by jacking the optic up higher than it needs to be. How do I make this decision and what factors am I missing?

What you're missing is that you won't know what works best for you until you try it. If you can, mock up the scope with each height and mount it to the rifle. With your eyes closed, set your body and mind as if you're shooting and mount the rifle to your shoulder. Open your eyes and look through the sight. If everything is set right, you should be looking though the sight without having to adjust your head. It will show you what the effect of mounting height will be

DTHN2LGS
12-18-10, 13:27
Which position will you be shooting from primarily? Bench or prone?

If your going to mock up the mounting system, be sure to try both positions to see what works best.

MistWolf
12-18-10, 16:17
Which position will you be shooting from primarily? Bench or prone?

If your going to mock up the mounting system, be sure to try both positions to see what works best.

Absolutely!

spr1
12-18-10, 16:21

The 1.93" is nice that its a lot easier for rapid shots as the way the gun recoils you get on target quicker.

Downside is for precision shooting its a little bit harder to get a solid cheekweld.

+1 and I do like the additional height over the front sight tower, especially with a smaller objective lens scope. I almost ended up going with two Larue Aimpoint mounts to get a 1.8" height.

Low Drag
12-22-10, 21:59

Ditto.
I have the 1.93 to clear the FSP on a 16" carbine. I just ordered an upper with no FSP and was going to get a 1.5 until I realized how easy it is to shoot up close at 1X. I can get my eye behind the optic easier while keeping my head up.

usmcvet
12-22-10, 23:08
I have a TR24 in a 1.93 mount. I like how you do not loose your vision to the side because you have a low stock/cheek weld. It also makes it easier for me to keep both eyes open.

Gutshot John
12-24-10, 11:07
For an AR I would discourage people from using a mount that is so high that you can simultaneously use your BUIS. IMO this is only relevant to reflex optics where you can get a proper co-witness.

If you're using a magnified optic get it as low as possible for a proper cheek weld.

Instead I would emphasize a QD mount. If the magnified optic goes down, then you can detach it quickly to use your irons.