PDA

View Full Version : When did Apex make a M&P45 specific sear?

The_Biased_Observer
11-25-10, 11:07
I bought a couple of the first editions of the sear when there was no 45 specific sear and put them in my 45's, one of which I carry daily on duty. Browsing their page today looking for deals I see they now have a model out for the 45 only and another for the 9,357,40 series.

Question is, what's the difference between sears? Anything dangerous about the old sear in the 45?

G34Shooter
11-25-10, 22:37
I bought a couple of the first editions of the sear when there was no 45 specific sear and put them in my 45's, one of which I carry daily on duty. Browsing their page today looking for deals I see they now have a model out for the 45 only and another for the 9,357,40 series.

Question is, what's the difference between sears? Anything dangerous about the old sear in the 45?

I'd contact them directly after the holidays...

Randy Lee
11-26-10, 02:56
Happy Thanksgiving!

If you have been running our sears in your pistols, you are fine.
The 45 sear was developed because in some 45s (usually compacts) our standard 9/40/357 sear provided too little over travel. I extended the cam surface forward to compensate for manufacturing tolerance variations.

In most 45s, our original sear works fine. It's just once in a while the striker release point was too far to the rear. The 45 specific sear ensures that it will drop in any 45 regardless of tolerance.

-Randy

Magsz
11-26-10, 17:15
Randy,

Will the .45 sears work in the 9 and .40 models?

I know you're thinking about creating a forward sitting sear but if the cam lobe is further forward on the .45 sear and it will work in the 9mm versions this could be a nice option for those of us with competition guns running pre travel and over travel stops.

beastfrog
11-26-10, 18:41
Will the

Yes. I run a 45 sear on my 9 Pro. I had a 9JG that wouldn't run with the 9 sear and needed the 45 sear as well.

The_Biased_Observer
11-26-10, 22:27
Thanks for clearing that up Mr. Lee.

Randy Lee
11-26-10, 23:25
Randy,

Will the .45 sears work in the 9 and .40 models?

I know you're thinking about creating a forward sitting sear but if the cam lobe is further forward on the .45 sear and it will work in the 9mm versions this could be a nice option for those of us with competition guns running pre travel and over travel stops.

Magsz,

Yes, the 45 sear will work without problem. I am hoping to have samples of the forward set sear in a couple of weeks.

-Randy

Randy Lee
11-26-10, 23:29
Thanks for clearing that up Mr. Lee.

You are quite welcome. Glad I could help.

-Randy

Magsz
11-26-10, 23:57
Magsz,

Yes, the 45 sear will work without problem. I am hoping to have samples of the forward set sear in a couple of weeks.

-Randy

Samples you say?! Any possibility one could be "lost" in the mail and headed in my direction? :P

Randy Lee
11-28-10, 02:28
Samples you say?! Any possibility one could be "lost" in the mail and headed in my direction? :P
One never knows... :-)

LHQuattro
11-28-10, 08:37
Randy,
that's great to hear. I'm meaning to get another M&P, this time in .45, and have an extra sear laying around. Will have to experiment to see what combo of parts gives me the release point I want. I take it variations in the trigger bar also vary the release point (less/more pretravel/overtravel)?

I'm in no hurry for another M&P9. S&W seems to be coming around in improving them. And besides, with all your parts coming out, I can just add/upgrade/swap with your stuff.

Are you still thinking about an Apex trigger bar?

Also, do you expect your future locking block and sear housing block with help with standard factory M&P9 barrel accuracy? That's my one serious gripe with my M&P9s. They don't do very well with standard pressure ammo.

much thanks,
James