PDA

View Full Version : Best compensator for a precision .308?

lj_1187
11-25-10, 12:16
I just ordered an 18" SS 5r barrel from LMT for my MWS. What comp would you recommend for a setup like this? I want to get back on target as quickly as possible without sacrificing any accuracy.

I dont want a massive JP recoil reduction comp. I have a BABC on my 16" CL barrel and love it to death, but since this is for a precision application, and not CQB (like the Battle Comps were made for), I am unsure about getting another one. I guess a side question would be does anyone use a BABC for precision use out to around 600 yards? How does it hold up?

supersix4
11-25-10, 15:39
PWS makes one, Larue carries the SJC. I have the BABC on my LMT 16 as well and love it.

Robb Jensen
11-25-10, 15:45
I'd look at the BattleComp BABC and the PWS FSC30. The FSC30 is a bit louder. Even louder still but extremely effective at recoil reduction and muzzle lift are the SJC Titan and Benny Hill Rolling Thunder.

reiswigt
11-25-10, 20:26
I've been wanting to ask the same question. I'm trying to decide between the FSC30 and BABC for my 20".

The_Hammer_Man
11-26-10, 03:00
I have only a little experience with the BABC. I fired a friends 16" MWS and was impressed with how easy it was to stay on target even at extended ranges off-hand.

That said, I have two FSC30's on two different .308 builds I personally own and shoot (a lot!). They ARE perceptabley louder than a flash hider, of course, but you can hold your aim off hand standing much easier that without. I also have one installed on my 20" 6.8 build.

TANGO2072
11-26-10, 07:03
FWIW; I use the SF MB762SSAL/RE.
I shoot not only Drills ( VTAC-type ) but also out to 600yd w/ my AR-10. I run an 18" w/ the SF, shes at about 20+".
I really like it, shes easy to get back on target, I've been told shes a loud comp but its barley noticable to the shooter.

If you like PM me and I'll send ya a vid of me shooting it the other day, can give ya a feel for the the rise ? ?

Christo
11-26-10, 08:52
I have a Surefire muzzle brake on my M1A and it is every effective. No increase in blast to the shooter and very fast back on target.

hozer
11-26-10, 09:14
I would say a suppressor would be a good choice.

If not a can, then a brake from Holland or Sure Fire.

elephantrider
11-26-10, 20:52
I am working on a multi use 16" .308 AR build. I was planning on eventually adding the Battelcomp BABC. I think it will help with being able to keep on target and observe longer range shots as well as reduce teh shot to shot recovery time on close range shots. It wont help with recoil, but the recoil will be staight to the rear with much reduced muzzle flip. The BABC will likely be the only option that has little to no additional noise increase to the sides of the shooter.

A brake like a Surefire Adapter or PWS will help reduce recoil in addition to reducing muzzle flip. These will have an increase in muzzle blast directly to the shooters sides.

If you are intending to run a suppressor (which it doesn't sound like you are) then your choice will will be limited to the brakes compatable with your selected suppressor.

I have yet to use the BABC, but I doubt it will hamper your precision shooting. It wll be my choice due to the increased muzzle stability and lack of blast directed to any adjacent shooters or spotters.

lj_1187
11-27-10, 16:37
Supressor is out of the question for me. If anyone has shot a BABC out to 600 yards with no difference in accuracy I will just pick another one of them up. I emailed Nick at Battle Comp and they said they heard customers say only out to 200 yards with no loss in accuracy.

Alaskapopo
11-27-10, 17:58
I just ordered an 18" SS 5r barrel from LMT for my MWS. What comp would you recommend for a setup like this? I want to get back on target as quickly as possible without sacrificing any accuracy.

I dont want a massive JP recoil reduction comp. I have a BABC on my 16" CL barrel and love it to death, but since this is for a precision application, and not CQB (like the Battle Comps were made for), I am unsure about getting another one. I guess a side question would be does anyone use a BABC for precision use out to around 600 yards? How does it hold up?

If you just want a compensator I would go for the Titan muzzle brake designed by Eric Lund. It works awesome on the 5.56 weapons I have. Muzzle stays flat.
http://stores.sjcguns.com/Detail.bok?no=52

They make a .308 version as well.
Pat
Pat

XCoastie
01-23-11, 10:56
I just replaced the Surefire Break with a BABC on my 18" OBR. Went to the range yesterday with it the BABC it is g2g. Kept the barrel on target better than the Surefire IMO during rapid fire.

XCoastie
01-23-11, 10:59
Supressor is out of the question for me. If anyone has shot a BABC out to 600 yards with no difference in accuracy I will just pick another one of them up. I emailed Nick at Battle Comp and they said they heard customers say only out to 200 yards with no loss in accuracy.

I do not have access to a 600 yd range where I am. I did shoot out to 200 yds with the BABC and did not notice an accuracy loss. The group got tighter.