PDA

View Full Version : Just feels right...

300WM
11-25-10, 12:25
Anyone ever buy a hand gun, regardless of what your friends, foes, forums, or even the reviews said, simply because it felt so good in your hand, you had to have it. My Taurus 24/7 Pro's, OSS DS's 809B (all in 9mm) fit this bill. Fortunately, they have all proven to be very good and definately keepers, though I did have to clean up some of the mags to correct failure to feed last round issues. My hat doesn't fit my head as good as they fit my hands.

gtmtnbiker98
11-25-10, 12:31
My condolences. But, if it works, it works for you.

skyugo
11-25-10, 12:37
glock 19 and p7 i bought based on feel, and awesome reviews. :)

jaxman7
11-25-10, 12:53
One of my best friends who works at the local gunstore hates M&Ps. He even won one at a pistol match and GAVE it away. That's how much he doesn't like them. I was at the time looking for a striker fired pistol to replace my 1911s of which I was very (and honestly blindly) loyal too. After much research and the majority of that on here I bought an M&P 9FS. Best handgun I have ever owned. Ironically enough because of all the hoopla, the first striker fired gun I bought a year before was a XD 45 tactical.......The worst handgun I ever bought. This was done because of magazine articles. Also I have alot of family members who swear by them but they are not avid shooters. Research pays off.

-Jax

skyugo
11-25-10, 13:02
One of my best friends who works at the local gunstore hates M&Ps. He even won one at a pistol match and GAVE it away. That's how much he doesn't like them. I was at the time looking for a striker fired pistol to replace my 1911s of which I was very (and honestly blindly) loyal too. After much research and the majority of that on here I bought an M&P 9FS. Best handgun I have ever owned. Ironically enough because of all the hoopla, the first striker fired gun I bought a year before was a XD 45 tactical.......The worst handgun I ever bought. This was done because of magazine articles. Also I have alot of family members who swear by them but they are not avid shooters. Research pays off.

-Jax

I'm pretty sure magazine editors and people who never shoot are the only folks that like XD's... :confused:

jaxman7
11-25-10, 13:49
Skyugo,

I believe you are spot on. Yes there are some real shooters who like it but lets face it. The vast majority of striker fired enthusiasts recommend either Glock or S&W Tupperware and for good reason. A writer for x gun magazine that shoots 150 rounds out of an XD and says its the best handgun since the inception of the 1911 doesn't mean anything to me anymore.

-Jax

John_Wayne777
11-25-10, 14:25
Anyone ever buy a hand gun, regardless of what your friends, foes, forums, or even the reviews said, simply because it felt so good in your hand, you had to have it.

Yes. I have. Long ago when I was a fan of learning things the hard way I bought guns because of how they "felt" in the gunstore. I quickly learned that how something "felt" in the gunstore had absolutely no connection to how it would perform for me or how it would suit my needs as a defensive tool.

300WM
11-25-10, 16:10
Yes. I have. Long ago when I was a fan of learning things the hard way I bought guns because of how they "felt" in the gunstore. I quickly learned that how something "felt" in the gunstore had absolutely no connection to how it would perform for me or how it would suit my needs as a defensive tool.

Should have added "While being an experienced shooter" to the original post. Same thing as a good mechanic buys an Alfa Romeo Veloce Spyder and knows it will strand him at times, yet he still drives it, because it feels right to him. If he needs to keep an appointment, he uses his Honda. Kinda like that.

Beat Trash
11-25-10, 17:01
Anyone ever buy a hand gun, regardless of what your friends, foes, forums, or even the reviews said, simply because it felt so good in your hand, you had to have it.

That's how I ended up buying my first 9mm in 1989. Everyone I knew and everything I read at that time told me to stay with the 1911 in 45acp.

Although I have long ago moved on to other carry guns, I still have that Browning High Power...

l8apex
11-25-10, 20:12
Feeling right at the local gun gun does not always mean that it will feel right during extended periods of shooting. Simply because things are dynamic rather than static i.e. recoil, sight acquisition etc during training or defensive use. Through mistakes in the past, too many for me to count, I've learned that just feels right is found when wringing out the pistol for a few hundred to a thousand rounds. Glocks for me feel like crap when static, even though I dont have any fitment issues. Once the rounds start, it feels perfect. Hard to explain,but that's how it works for me. YMMV

jmcrawf1
11-25-10, 20:33
My condolences. But, if it works, it works for you.

LOL, I was expecting some high end gun.

But look on the brightside, if a taurus 24/7 makes you warm and fuzzy, you may need a paper towel after holding and M&P. :sarcastic:

NMBigfoot02
11-25-10, 21:03
Should have added "While being an experienced shooter" to the original post. Same thing as a good mechanic buys an Alfa Romeo Veloce Spyder and knows it will strand him at times, yet he still drives it, because it feels right to him. If he needs to keep an appointment, he uses his Honda. Kinda like that.

I'm not sure being "stranded" by the Taurus in a time of need is a selling point...

Defensive encounters are almost never by appointment.

wesprt
11-25-10, 21:31
I can empathize with what you mean.

Some guns "feel" right, but how a gun "feels" and how a gun performs are not related in the slightest. Glocks look like a bear's ass sewed up with logging chain and feel like a 2x4. But (arguably) they have the best balance of reliability, accuracy and shootability of nearly any gun on the market despite feeling like crap in hand.

Magic_Salad0892
11-25-10, 21:40
IMHO, the 2nd gen Glock 17 fits my hand better than any pistol ever has.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-26-10, 00:24
Buying a gun simply because it feels good in your hand is like buying a car because it makes your butt feel good.

Ironnewt
11-26-10, 00:45
I bought a S&W 645 because I got a deal on it and I 'liked' the way it felt in my hand. I did not like the way it felt when I got some 'hammer bite' while shooting it.

cop1211
11-26-10, 01:38
Worst gun that fails the feel, and like category, my issued Glock 21, feels like I'm holding a brick.

Best feeling gun I've ever owned/held Beretta Cougar 8040.

uwe1
11-26-10, 02:00
3 months into gun ownership, I bought a Steyr M9A1 from CDNN after fondling one at a local gun store. It looked good, felt great in the hand, and the price was great ($349 with one mag). It malfunctioned at least once if not twice per magazine shot (FTExtract due to faulty extractors). Even after I got the upgraded extractor, free of charge, I still got ejected casings to the forehead very frequently. It got sold.

Only 9mm Glocks for me at this point. But, I always thin down the trigger-guard, take a millimeter of thickness off the entire backstrap and add a Hogue grip.

ra2bach
11-26-10, 02:50
the greatest feeling handgun to me was a CZ75. I didn't buy it because of the trigger and other issues.

now I have several guns and it's still on my list, though. someday, when I've got more than enough of everything I consider essential, or I hit the lottery, I'll go back and look at it again. till then, I'm still playing catch up...

Spiffums
11-26-10, 06:28
The XD fits my hand good.............. but too many bad reports about them to get my $$$.

Ian111
11-26-10, 10:34
I'm glad to see there are others here at M4Carbine who believe a pistol that "feels good" in the hand is overrated. Too many people throw around words like "ergonomic" or "feels good" when it comes to the grip. Like its supposed to massage and support your hand like a bad back. A pistol's grip is for holding onto under recoil not making your hand feel comfy when holding it. It might be ok for light recoiling pistols but for heavier recoiling calibers or shooting with one hand a grip thats shaped like a bar of soap isn't necessarily the most desireable trait.

Seraph
11-26-10, 10:38
I want it all, and I'm willing to do what is necessary to get it.

300WM
11-26-10, 15:52
I'm not sure being "stranded" by the Taurus in a time of need is a selling point...

Defensive encounters are almost never by appointment.

Understandable...if you don't trust a Taurus as a defensive weapon, but the analogy assumes that the Taurus is a fun or "range" gun, only. The Taurus pistols I have are for range shooting and they feel great to hold, and even though they may break (according to a lot of shooters) I don't care, because they are for the range, for the pure pleasure of shooting.

I concur with the Glock guys that they are not the best feeling guns (I have two G21's) to the hands. They are brilliantly durable, and they have cost me $$$ in ammo and time trying to get the most out of them, but if I just want to have some fun, I use my Tauruses.

120mm
11-26-10, 21:00
I'm going to steal a quote from a much better shooter than myself:

"As soon as they make a handgun that feels like a 'C' Cup, I will give a shit about the way a gun feels in my hand."

silentsod
11-26-10, 21:07
I consider "feel" to be fairly low in terms of selection for a carry firearm.

My hands can grip just about anything, but if the weapon isn't reliable and durable first and foremost then it doesn't even enter into the running.

300WM
11-26-10, 21:29
LOL, I was expecting some high end gun.

But look on the brightside, if a taurus 24/7 makes you warm and fuzzy, you may need a paper towel after holding and M&P. :sarcastic:

Have shot a couple, but do not like the trigger. They do feel good, though.

300WM
11-26-10, 21:33
I'm going to steal a quote from a much better shooter than myself:

"As soon as they make a handgun that feels like a 'C' Cup, I will give a shit about the way a gun feels in my hand."

I wouldn't be worried none too much about it, either, in that case.

Thanks for all of the replies.