PDA

View Full Version : Zeroing, just curious.

JeykllnHyde
11-25-10, 21:11
When you guys zero, do you try and get exactly dead center on with the bull?

Also, would you zero with only one type of ammo then leave it? (Presumably your favorite/good ammo)

I'm working with 1/4 MOA increments at 50 yards.

:big_boss:

Thanks, y'all.

RedHorseman
11-25-10, 21:56
Just to clarify, are you using iron sights or an optic?

When using iron sights, I utilize a six 'o clock hold using the small aperture on my rear sight.

You should be sighting in for point of aim/point of impact at whatever distance you have designated for your BZO. Try using the search feature if you have any questions about zero distances as it has been discussed in past threads. The general consensus for zeroing distance is either 50 or 100 yards for the 5.56. They each have their own benefits.

You should zero using the ammo with which you are mostly likely to employ in the rifle. Different weights and brands of ammo will affect the point of impact. As a general rule, you should always re-zero if you switch ammo. For instance, I sight in using Federal XM193 as it is what I normally feed my rifle for my purposes, i.e. training and competition.

4thPointOfContact
11-25-10, 22:12
Adjustable irons are generally made to zero at 100 yards (or meters, depending) and then be adjusted according to estimated range.

For "fixed" irons or optics, it all depends on how close you want to keep the trajectory of the bullet to the line of sight and how far out. Some people like to zero at 25/100 and adjust for holdover. I looked at the ballistic tables for my expected load and wanted something that would be 'center hold' out past 250 yards. That worked out to about a 37 yard zero. Since 37-yard lines are hard to come by, I zeroed at 25 with a bit of an offset in the impact.
I'd be more specific, but it's been over a year since that zeroing and I don't remember the specifics right now.

JeykllnHyde
11-26-10, 00:20
Just to clarify, are you using iron sights or an optic?

When using iron sights, I utilize a six 'o clock hold using the small aperture on my rear sight.

You should be sighting in for point of aim/point of impact at whatever distance you have designated for your BZO. Try using the search feature if you have any questions about zero distances as it has been discussed in past threads. The general consensus for zeroing distance is either 50 or 100 yards for the 5.56. They each have their own benefits.

You should zero using the ammo with which you are mostly likely to employ in the rifle. Different weights and brands of ammo will affect the point of impact. As a general rule, you should always re-zero if you switch ammo. For instance, I sight in using Federal XM193 as it is what I normally feed my rifle for my purposes, i.e. training and competition.

XM193 Federal and PMC Bronze, with a Primary Arms M4 Red dot clone + 3x magnification.

Grrrr... I mixed up the K and Y in my name!!! :sad:

7 RING
11-27-10, 11:52
For general all round use, I zero most of my firearms for 200 yards.

TAZ
11-28-10, 22:38
For a general purpose rifle zero with the load youre most likely going to use for defense or whatever application youre using the rifle for. Generally if youre looking to drop a threat kill a deer/coyote hit an A zone shifting factory loads of the same bullet weight wont shift POI so significantly that you'll go from being able to hit an A to missing the A.

I just make a note on how my new batch of plinking loads are shooting, but I dont re zero. Atleast not for my carbine. For my bolt gun I get more anal, but it has a different application.