PDA

View Full Version : Specter Gear Triple Stack Magazine Pouch

jnc36rcpd
11-25-10, 21:18
My nephew is a newly minted Security Forces Marine. For Christmas, he asked for two triple stack magazine carriers to replace the issue double stack carriers. The only manufacturer I can find making triple stack singles is Specter Gear.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? I ran a triple stack single when we started our rifle program, but I found it cumbersome. Would he be better off with two double stacks with FASTmags attached?

Happy Thanksgiving and be safe.

calicojack
11-26-10, 07:33
specter gear (imo) makes a solid product. Their stitching is on par with several of the "tier 1" companies i've seen. The only con that I saw with them is the fact that their lids are not adjustable. So if he is running original magpuls or magpul ranger plates, he will have less surface area to attach the hook and loop. That being said, i'm not some HSLD operator that has the opportunity to but my mag pouches through hell and back.

here is more information on them (http://www.urbantacticalgearreview.com/index.php/individual-pouches/rilfe-pouches/specter-gear-triple-m4.html)

there are other companies that have triple mag pouches. The OSOE Rallyman and Gen II pouches both have the capability of holding three mags. So does the HSGI UMMP. The Rallyman and UMMP have a dual closure system for better retention. The Rallyman Has adjustable lids for different mag sizes

jnc36rcpd
11-26-10, 18:17
Thanks, calico. I've always liked Specter Gear. I used one of their three-point slings when we started the rifle program. While I'm now using a Vickers two-point, I had no complaints about Specter quality.

HSGI makes a Universal Modular Magazine Pouch-Double that looks like it will carry six magazines with a decent degree of retention. I'm leaning in that direction if it meets his unit standards.

Thanks again.

JSantoro
11-26-10, 18:30
if it meets his unit standards.

Yeah, that's actually the question that needs answering before purchasing. Security Forces and their detachments can be so tight about uniformity of kit that they squeak when they turn quickly. That's not a slam on them, since it's also not unique to them.

More a matter of making sure that a well-intended gift doesn't simply end up skylining him to attention that he might not want....

calicojack
11-26-10, 19:13
Thanks, calico. I've always liked Specter Gear. I used one of their three-point slings when we started the rifle program. While I'm now using a Vickers two-point, I had no complaints about Specter quality.

HSGI makes a Universal Modular Magazine Pouch-Double that looks like it will carry six magazines with a decent degree of retention. I'm leaning in that direction if it meets his unit standards.

Thanks again.

i've always liked the UMMP. the only snag, literally, that i've run into is while running ak mags bullets down. the locking tab tends to snag on the interior elastic. not an issue for your soldier btw.

call topher at hsgi. tell him what's up, and your soldier should get hooked up.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-26-10, 21:27
I carried A 3 mag on my flak for a short while. I believe it was from specter. Its pretty good quality as is all Specter gear. I will say this, after I took a mag out, the 2 inside bounce around quite a bit and make alot of noise. Thats why I went back to the single and doubles.

jnc36rcpd
11-29-10, 20:16
Jim, I had a fairly ineffective Skype conversation with my nephew the other night. He said they wore "tan" gear/ Would HSGI's desert digital qualify as tan in the Security Forces world?

calico, thanks for the contact. I'll go that way if/when I can determine if the HSGI gear is good to go for his unit.

lowspeed, that was one of the issues I saw with the TT three pack I carried.

Thanks for the input, guys.

calicojack
11-29-10, 20:30
hsgi caters directly to the USMC. they can probably answer your question for you.

john at osoe could probably answer the question as well, but he does more for the teams and army.

either way, coyote is probably going to be the direction your going to want to go if he quotes "tan" gear. if they are solids desert digital is going to stand out and probably be a no-no. there again, that's all speculation on my part.

JSantoro
11-29-10, 20:58
HSGI's "khaki" is a very good match for the USMC's Coyote Brown. Anything you get, look for Coyote first, or ask the vendor questions about their color-offerings. The Corps went that way so that kit matches up and functions with either desert or woodland MarPat utility uniforms.

If he's GTG on using unique (read: non-issued) gear, then stay away from camo patterns.

jnc36rcpd
12-08-10, 18:22
Thanks, guys. I emailed HSGI over the weekend asking about their gear. I received an email sent at 0820 Monday morning advising that their khaki was good to go with Marine Corps coyote. I also received a picture of a Marine wearing a combination of issue coyota and HSGI gear. I placed an order for the magazine carrier and some shoulder pads as well as an IFAK for my plate carrier.

Thanks again.

titsonritz
12-10-10, 23:47
The only manufacturer I can find making triple stack singles is Specter Gear.

O.S.O.E. Rallyman
http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=58&products_id=3568

O.S.O.E. DA Gen II
http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=58&products_id=3571

These mag pouches will accommodate (3) AR, (2) AK or (2) M14/G3/FAL mag and are built to last. Tactical Response has very fast shipping and placing an order in December enters you in a drawing for a $400 training voucher. Please thank your nephew for his service.