PDA

View Full Version : Is a complete m4 rifle really this simple?

italius222
11-25-10, 23:03
i did my research and please confirm this, but is an m4 really just a complete lower receiver, upper receiver, handguard, bolt carrier group, charging handle and magazine? is that really it? am i missing something here?

Ak44
11-25-10, 23:15
Well for me...I would add a few more things... Ammo, light, optic, buis, flash hider, suppressor, and buttstock :cool:

Dionysusigma
11-25-10, 23:16
Well, there's the gas tube, but since it's a non-moving part I'd say yeah, that's about it. :)

bkb0000
11-25-10, 23:19
grizzled guys wearing OD m60s at gun shows love to talk about "all the hundreds of small parts to break, assembled in a complex, tight-fitting assembly to get gummed up and stop working," but the AR/M4 platform is actually pretty damn simple.

italius222
11-25-10, 23:22
Well, there's the gas tube, but since it's a non-moving part I'd say yeah, that's about it. :)

yea that seems to be on the upper already. fan-f'ing-tastic

italius222
11-25-10, 23:23
Well for me...I would add a few more things... Ammo, light, optic, buis, flash hider, suppressor, and buttstock :cool:

well yea those are all accessories and the stock is already included with the complete lower and the flash hider is on the upper

wesprt
11-25-10, 23:25
well yea those are all accessories and the stock is already included with the complete lower and the flash hider is on the upper

So... what exactly are you asking? All you have to do is look at a picture of one and you can see everything that is there... :confused:

http://www.stealthboy.com/images/AR15_DiagramB.gif

variablebinary
11-26-10, 02:35
Stoner definitely had his eye on the future when the AR15 was designed. Nothing is lighter, or simpler in its class. Using an MRP upper gets the parts count down even futher

People didn't understand it in the 60's, and many still don't get it today

I was talking some buffoon on another forum awhile back, and he was saying that the AR15 sucked, and why couldn't it be like the lighter, cheaper than a simpler SG551 SWAT. Really?

Militant83
11-26-10, 09:03
The AR platform is pretty much dummy proof when it comes to all the major part groups for assembly and disassembly. Unless you are wanting to build the rifle yourself from the ground up piece by piece...you can buy all the major groups already assembled to create your rifle.

Ofc.JL
11-26-10, 14:41
Oh yeah, VariableB, I agree with you. IIRC, Stoner was trying to use the cutting edge technology of the time with Aluminum, Plastic and Steel componets. And make the weapon very simple to manufacture, assemble and maintain. The DI gas system was lighter and simpler than anything that had been before. The military was looking for something cheaper, lighter and simple. Of course, the history of the platform was very complex with all sorts of problems and roadblocks, both mechanical and man made. But it worked. And it still does(see "The Black Rifle"). The military has said they will not field a new weapon system unless something come along that is a "night and day" improvement good enough to increase the reliability of shoulder mounted, catridge weapons systems in general.
The AR system works and works really well, if an operator does his part. Mil Spec Ammunition, Quality componets assembled correctly, and high quality magazines. Once the weapon is broken in and maintained correctly, the AR platform will be as realiable as anything on the planet, period. It does get hot with a lot of use, but Guys, I'm here to tell you: ALL weapon platforms, regardless of maker, get really hot if you push 'em. Been there, done that. Been around the block on weapons platforms and I will stick with AR system.
FWIW:D
By the way, Everybody have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
God Bless U.S. Service personnel: Thank You
Ofc.JL

pbmaster2k89
11-26-10, 14:44
honestly yes. thats really it, unless u build everything piece by piece, screw by screw like the some of the other guys said.

SOF1971
12-09-10, 20:01
There will always be the young private that thinks he can completely strip down the lower without prior instruction and end up losing some little pieces that the armorer doesn't have because of the other young privates lost prior and used them all up!