PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for good all weather gear

orlanger
11-26-10, 09:05
I need some recommendations for good, reasonably priced all weather gear.

Looking for water proof, breathable, lightweight pants, boots, parka, etc...

Thanks.

Jim D
11-26-10, 10:21
I need some recommendations for good, reasonably priced all weather gear.

Looking for water proof, breathable, lightweight pants, boots, parka, etc...

Thanks.

What are you planning to use them for? Hunting, backpacking, climbing, paddling...?

What climate/region are you going to be in?

What's your definiton of "reasonably priced"?

orlanger
11-26-10, 10:35
I'm in the south so you never know what weather you'll have here. For example, yesterday it was 75 degrees with partly cloudy skies. Today it is 43 degrees with rain and storms likely. This time of year it is likely to be in the 20-30's in the morning and 60-70's in the afternoon.

I'm looking to stay dry while on the range for the most part. Other than that, there really isn't any other specific activity, just looking for something lightweight yet durable and fairly waterproof. I've got rain gear, however the old rubber style jackets and pants are heavy and don't exactly ventilate well.

Reasonably priced as in I'm not willing to pay $350+ for Arc'teryx pants. I know their stuff is good, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on something that I won't get a whole lot of use out of.

Jim D
11-26-10, 11:24
If you want something for "range use" and you're not going to be packing it on your back for 20 miles a day....look at a laminated shell.

GoreTex doesn't breath until it gets cold out (needs to have a temp. gradient between the inside and outside to move the water vapor through it) so if you want breathability in the summer, get a jacket with vent zips (pit, chest, whatever).

Lightweight shells are typically "coating" based. They are single layer shells, and their waterproof breathable properties wear out/off far faster than laminates do.

Laminates will weigh more, but will last considerably longer.

I have a number of shells, which I choose from based upon the conditions I'm using them in. My most bomber shell is a Moonstone GoreTex shell that's full length, with long pit zips, a hood that fits over a helmet, and pockets high on the chest. It's built to wear with a backpack, climbing helmet, or war belt (high pockets are still accessable with a belt on over it).

Another shell I have is an EMS Thunderhead jacket. It's shorter in the waist, has low pockets, is a coating (lightweight) and is my "just in case" shell, that I'll throw in a bag if I'm not expecting nasty weather. It has chest vents, rather than pit vents

I also have an LL Bean GoreTex jacket that I got years ago, and I wear that if I know I'm going to be getting muddy or bushwacking through the hills. I don't care if I trash it, I don't like the cut/fit of it, so it's my abuse piece.

I also have a softshell. If it's mild precip, or I'm more active...I wear that as a hard shell won't breath as well. If it doesn't breath sufficiently, it doesn't matter if you're wet from precip or sweat...you're still wet. I use a Marmot Sharp Point, but there are other better options in soft-shells, now.

I have a few windshirts that get thrown into the mix, too.

For shell pants, I have lightweight coating pants, and laminated GoreTex XCR fullzip pants from Lowe Alpine that are far more durable. I wanted pants that had full zips so I could put them on over showshoes or crampons, you might not need that feature.

If you're not carrying it very far, or using it on Denali...most products on the market will work just fine for you. Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, TNF, Lowe Alpine, REI, EMS, Mammut, Cloudveil, Patagonia, Outdoor Research, Wild Things....they all make gear that will work for you.

Find something with the features you want, in the price range that makes you happy, and isn't a "ultra light" item. The super light stuff tends to be far more disposable, and have minimal features. Great for alpine climbing where pounds add up, but shitty for beating up in a training class.

For boots, they need to fit your feet. The popular backpacking brands tend to hold up well, so check them out.

orlanger
11-26-10, 13:20
Good info. Thanks!

Any specific item you have experience with that you can recommend?

Jim D
11-26-10, 13:33
Good info. Thanks!

Any specific item you have experience with that you can recommend?

There are more products on the market than I have experience with...so I can't say "what's the best". Additionally, it's been about 3 years since I bought any new gear, so things have probably changed.

It really comes down to your preferences, and the features offered on the different product lines. Once you have that figured out, shop around.

All of the brands I mentioned make excellent product lines, and some of them make excellent product, period. TNF and Mountain Hardwear have gotten a little trendier since they were bought by Vanity Fair and Columbia, respectively. They still have product lines which are really high quality, but those lines tend to cost just as much as any of the Marmot, Arcteryx, or Patagonia options.

Wild Things is a small shop made by guys who are all tallented dedicated climbers. They're like the Raven Concealment of outdoor apparel, in my opinion.

Cloudviel tends to be quite pricey, but everything I've seen of their has been awesome.

Marmot has gotten more popular and expesive, but has always been super high quality, well thought out designs (from what I've seen of them).

Patagonia tends to be priced steep, but when you find their stuff on sale, it's often very reasonable. I shopped their outlet store in Freeport, ME frequently, and got some killer deals on insulating layers from them. IIRC, they have excellent after-the-sale service.

I used to work for EMS, so I have a LOT of their items. They tend not to be the lighest, or best cut options, but tend to provide a great value, and would certainly fit your needs. REI is likely no different.

My Lowe Alpine shell pants are friggin' amazing! I'd put them up against anything on the market at twice the price....BUT, I don't think their lower end lines are necessarily the same quality. Maybe they are, and I'd certainly consider checking them out. I got a deal on those pants when I worked in the outdoor industry (I think they were like $375 new, retail).

Moonstone is out of business now, I think. Outdoor Research doesn't offer that many products, but make great shell gloves. They might have more opitions for shell gear since I last checked them out.

Bottom line is that for recreation (not alpine, not UL backpacking, not .mil in Afghanistan use) most products on the market will be more than sufficient.

If something catches your eye, post it up here, or send me a PM and I'll give you my thoughts if you want.

Militant83
11-29-10, 18:42
If you check out places online such as REI www.rei.com which is a great outdoors store... and also basspro, cabelas..etc yuo chan check out the wide range of products and price points and read customer reviews as well to aid in your decision.

hatidua
12-05-10, 21:28
I'm looking to stay dry while on the range for the most part.

Marmot 'Precip' jacket and pants will keep you dry at the range for a relatively small sum of money.

When it comes to boots, I don't think anyone outdoes the Italians (La Sportiva, Scarpa, Etc.). La Sportiva tend to suit people with narrower feet and Scarpa boots are a bit better for the wide-foot crowd. That said, for simply staying dry at the range, a seasonal coat of Nikwax on your existing boots should keep water out fairly well.