PDA

View Full Version : which trigger for a hunting AR-15?

royta
11-26-10, 12:24
As I've mentioned in several other threads, I'm setting up my 16" gov profile mid-length for coyote/predator hunting. I'm removing the EOTech 516 and putting an ADM Recon or Recon-X mount with a 3-9 scope. I'm swapping out the A2 flash hider for a Troy Claymore muzzle brake. I think another good thing would be to get rid of the heavy stock trigger. I've got several options I guess. There's the American Trigger, a Geissele SSA, SSA-E, a Timney, and others I'm not aware of.

I'm trying to keep the price down, so I don't think the American Trigger is somethig I'm going to get. I can justify a Timney, a SSA, a SSA-E, or something else in that price range.

Any suggestions?

ETA -I forgot to ask that at the very least, your responses explain why you like the one you're suggesting. I'd prefer a run down on how one might be better than another. I don't want to read the typical, "go for such and such one and don't look back."

Robb Jensen
11-26-10, 13:03
I like two-stage triggers for hunting guns because I'll likely be wearing gloves. I'd recommend the KAC, LMT, RRA or Geissele SSA triggers for hunting guns.

royta
11-28-10, 06:15
Any other input?

dway
11-28-10, 07:41
I have a Wilson Combat TTU two-stage in my predator gun and love it, but they may be a little more than you are wanting to spend. They are about $260.

Lost River
11-28-10, 07:50
I run two stage RRA triggers in my hunting ARs. They seem "just right". Heavy enough that I can manipulate them with a light pair of gloves, and light enough that I can make precise shots. I have put quite a few of them in friends and family members guns and no one has had any issues with them

Overall I have been very pleased.

Moto pic for the coyote hunters:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/MackayJun16-20006.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/MackayJun16-20008.jpg

Dangerousdan
11-28-10, 10:50
Enjoyed the photos of your hunt. I'm thinking about the same hand guard and pistol grip for hunting. When hunting you want to be as comfortable and feel your in control of the weapon. My $.02

Lost River
11-28-10, 11:02
Dan,

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. That lower was actually a new one I had put together for an 18" precision rig. Normally I hunt with a different one that has a fixed ACE skeleton stock on it. I will find a pic shortly. Overall it is an outstanding package for coyote calling where walks are long between stands and light weight gear is appreciated. It has proven to be an ideal general purpose hunting rifle for game that I would use an AR for.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/039-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/045.jpg

It too wears an RRA 2 stage trigger. It has proven to be a great trigger and one of my most often grabbed rifles.

WKshooter
11-28-10, 11:17
Have you considered Bill Springfield's trigger work? I sent him my BCM trigger group and he returned a trigger which breaks crisply at 3.5#. I have this installed on a built 6.8 I use for hogs and deer and have been very happy with it. Cost me @$45 for the work. If you google him, you will see his website. Just reminded me, but I need to send off another trigger this afternoon. He turns them around in seven days or so.

I have a BM I use for coyote hunting, I like the 1:9 twist as it allows me to shoot 50 grain V-Max. Coyotes are DRT with a hit to the ribcage. I had a muzzlebrake on my hunting rig, but ended up swapping it back to the FH due to the noise and sideblast (hunting partners just cowered each time I made a shot...), so make sure you have a couple of spare crush washers just in case you want to swap it back.

shootist~
11-28-10, 11:43
I don't think you could do any better than the Geissele SSA. I have two SSAs plus a Geissle DMR. With some slight tweaking of the hammer spring on the SSAs all three break clean at 4 Lbs total (plus or minus an ounce or two). The SSAa are 2 Lbs for each stage (2+2), where the DMR is ~3+1.

The SSAs are a drop in trigger while the DMR allows for more adjustments (and is more complex). One of the SSAs is in my 18" Long Range/3-Gun rifle and I've not seen a reason or desire to swap it for the DMR.

As a side note the red grease supplied with the Geissele triggers is Mobil #28. I saw apprx a 1/2 Lb increase in pull weight on one of the triggers when I ran it with oil only for awhile.

TehLlama
11-28-10, 13:42
If you can justify the cost of the SSA or SSA-E, go that route and don't look back.

royta
11-28-10, 16:05
Have you considered Bill Springfield's trigger work? I sent him my BCM trigger group and he returned a trigger which breaks crisply at 3.5#. I have this installed on a built 6.8 I use for hogs and deer and have been very happy with it. Cost me @$45 for the work. If you google him, you will see his website. Just reminded me, but I need to send off another trigger this afternoon. He turns them around in seven days or so.

I have a BM I use for coyote hunting, I like the 1:9 twist as it allows me to shoot 50 grain V-Max. Coyotes are DRT with a hit to the ribcage. I had a muzzlebrake on my hunting rig, but ended up swapping it back to the FH due to the noise and sideblast (hunting partners just cowered each time I made a shot...), so make sure you have a couple of spare crush washers just in case you want to swap it back.

Dan,

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. That lower was actually a new one I had put together for an 18" precision rig. Normally I hunt with a different one that has a fixed ACE skeleton stock on it. I will find a pic shortly. Overall it is an outstanding package for coyote calling where walks are long between stands and light weight gear is appreciated. It has proven to be an ideal general purpose hunting rifle for game that I would use an AR for.

It too wears an RRA 2 stage trigger. It has proven to be a great trigger and one of my most often grabbed rifles.

I run two stage RRA triggers in my hunting ARs. They seem "just right". Heavy enough that I can manipulate them with a light pair of gloves, and light enough that I can make precise shots. I have put quite a few of them in friends and family members guns and no one has had any issues with them

I'll certainly look at Bill Springfield's work. I see nothing wrong with a crisp 3.5# trigger and also saving $125 to $155. Who knows what he does to achieve the lighter trigger pull? Is he working the surfaces between trigger and hammer? If so, does he harden the surfaces again?

Lost River, what are the specs of those two rifles?

WKshooter
11-28-10, 16:45
If you drop Bill a line, he can answer your questions. One of the things he does is to take the "tang" off the rear of the hammer, thereby reducing some of the inertia needed to get the hammer in motion. I reload CCI and WIN primers and have never had a problem with light hammer strikes, so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

If you search this forum, you will get more recommendations, from what I read all seem to be positive. But its all a matter of personal preference, the other mechanism's are great, but for the money and dependability (Bill uses your original trigger assembly) it seems to be a good alternative. :p

http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15.html

MistWolf
11-28-10, 17:42

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/MackayJun16-20006.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/MackayJun16-20008.jpg

Were these photos taken in Utah by any chance?

TWR
11-28-10, 21:01
Those pics look very familiar... How you been?

I've been using the RRNM triggers in mine for awhile now and they work well for me.

payj
11-28-10, 23:16
I think you would like the SSA, as others have suggested. I used mine with gloves and I like it just fine.

royta
11-29-10, 05:54
The SSA 4.5# (2.5 + 2) over the SSA-Enhanced 3.5# (2.3 + 1.2)? Why? I've never used a two-stage trigger. How long is the take up of both stages versus a single stage? How much over travel is there and how long is the reset?

I hate the thought of shelling out such a large chunk of money without knowing if I'll even like what I get.