PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Airweight J-frame

xray 99
11-26-10, 12:38
I dropped my S&W M37 on the asphalt, resulting in some nasty, white gouges on the backstrap.

I'm thinking of having the gun refinished in Robar's Roguard. Thoughts yea or nay? Other ideas?

Thanks.

In2Deep
11-26-10, 12:45
Leave it alone and call it "character". :D

1_click_off
11-26-10, 13:22
If you refinish it, you will be worried about dropping it again. I'd leave it alone too.

Tomahawk_Ghost
11-26-10, 14:24
As long as it doesn't affect functionality leave it alone.

ranburr
11-26-10, 14:29
Refinish it if you want. Roguard is not a bad finish. Like anything black, it will wear. The Np3 will wear, but the protection pretty much last forever.

Jake'sDad
11-26-10, 15:57
If you refinish it, you will be worried about dropping it again. I'd leave it alone too.

I agree.

I'd post a picture of my airweight I've been carrying for over 35 years, but it would likely cause some to vomit......

Fidalgoman
11-26-10, 19:43
Multicam would be pretty slick.

Bulldog7972
11-26-10, 19:50
I agree.

I'd post a picture of my airweight I've been carrying for over 35 years, but it would likely cause some to vomit......

C'mon, post it. I love old revolvers that have been around for awhile. As someone else said, it's character.

jmcrawf1
11-26-10, 20:18
C'mon, post it. I love old revolvers that have been around for awhile. As someone else said, it's character.

Agreed, post it up. :laugh:

SpartanDCI
12-09-10, 12:39
Dude,

You carry and Airweight Smith and did not put electrical tape on the backstrap?

I always did that to prevent wearing the anodizing.

Since you got some dings, I would find a nice smith to stipple the back strap. A mild stippling would meld the dings into the finish and reanodizing or clearcoat will protect it.

Robar does good stippling along with C&S out of Nebraska.

Enjoy it.

Irish10
12-09-10, 12:47
I bought an old Mod 36 years ago that was pretty beat up but functioned perfectly. When I got it home and looked closely it had Mass State Police stamped on the backstrap. I had considered having it re-blued but now look at it as a piece of LE history. If only guns could talk. Later I pointed this out to the shop where I bought it and he was ticked, said he would have never sold it for the price I paid. His loss, my gain. Personally, I think beat up guns have much more character!

okie john
12-09-10, 13:00
My first choice would be to leave it alone and tell war stories about the gouges. My second choice would be to send it back to Smith and let them do it. An aftermarket finish would be pretty far down the list unless the gun was a real beater, but even then I'd probably leave it alone.

Okie John