PDA

View Full Version : Acog question

twpayne75
11-26-10, 23:29
Purchasing a TA50R-4 Acog. Not my first choice but I came across it as a pretty decent deal. Have never even been able to look through an Acog, so I'm somewhat reluctant to drop almost a grand on any of them until I have shot with one.

For anyone unfamiliar with this particular model- it is a mini, 3 power, carry handle mount, red crosshair model. The complaints I keep reading is a very short eye relief.

My question is how close CAN you shoot with a 3 power Acog. As far as I know there is no focus, so are they blurry if looking at something that is not atleast x meters away?

I have already commited to buying it, so backing out is not an option. If I think I like it I will by another later. This one is in my budget now and would just like to try one.

Any experience would be appreciated. Thank you.

Terry

Belmont31R
11-26-10, 23:34
They focus pretty close in.

I would not spend 1k on a carry handle mount version though. Id spend a couple hundred extra and get a TA31 or TA11 from LaRue with their mount, buy a used one, ect.

The TA11 has ~2.5" of eye relief.

twpayne75
11-26-10, 23:53
They focus pretty close in.

I would not spend 1k on a carry handle mount version though. Id spend a couple hundred extra and get a TA31 or TA11 from LaRue with their mount, buy a used one, ect.

The TA11 has ~2.5" of eye relief.

If I like this one I will probably get another later. It's just this one is in my "try it" price range. It is used, but like new.

5pins
11-27-10, 10:22
How much are you paying for it?

twpayne75
11-27-10, 12:05
How much are you paying for it?

Less than $500. The fiber optic tube is not even cracking yet. Figure I can get most or atleast some of my money back if I decide to sell it.

Again I still have not really gotten an answer on the focus distance. If anyone has one, please advise.

Terry

Dienekes
11-28-10, 20:22
Trijicon quotes 1.4" eye relief for the TA50.

By way of comparison I run a TA45-2 (1.5 x 24) on a carry handle. The eye relief on that is 3.60" which is great. The height works fine with the sliding stock and it is very forgiving on head and eye position. I also run a TA33 (3 X 30) on an M1A with a decently low mount; the eye relief on that is 1.90 and I find that harder to use. It's a different animal. Your 1.4" might be fine if you can get everything where you want it.

Good luck.

Dienekes
11-28-10, 20:29
Missed the concern with focus, sorry...I have used my 1.5x at 5 yards and less; the 3x at 10 and less, in both cases just planting the reticle in the middle and letting fly. No issues that I can see... at 25 all is sharp because I remember zeroing the 3x at that distance and seeing the .30 caliber holes very clearly.

twpayne75
11-28-10, 20:58
Missed the concern with focus, sorry...I have used my 1.5x at 5 yards and less; the 3x at 10 and less, in both cases just planting the reticle in the middle and letting fly. No issues that I can see... at 25 all is sharp because I remember zeroing the 3x at that distance and seeing the .30 caliber holes very clearly.

Thank you for the heads up Dienekes. I guess if I cannot get the carry handle to work I may try a Larue RCO mount.

warnerd
12-04-10, 02:19
Buy a flip up scope cap for the front of the ACOG, keep both eyes open with the scope cap in the closed position and you can shoot like you were using a non magnified optic.

twpayne75
12-04-10, 07:55
Buy a flip up scope cap for the front of the ACOG, keep both eyes open with the scope cap in the closed position and you can shoot like you were using a non magnified optic.

I will give it a shot. Thank you.

Terry