PDA

View Full Version : TROY TRX EXTREME RAIL

Dfarmer786
11-27-10, 00:59
IM THINKING ABOUT ORDERING ONE OF THESE AND I HAVE A FEW Q'S. FIRST I HAVE A CARBINE WITH MAGPUL MOE HANDGUARD. IF I GET THIS RAIL DO I NEED TO GET A DIFFERENT GAS BLOCK? ALSO SHOULD I GET AN 11" OR 13" I HAVE A 16" BARREL AND ITS A DUTY RIFLE

Ak44
11-27-10, 01:17
If you get anything longer than the 7" one then yes you will need a low profile gas block. As far as length it's your call, I have a 13" trx rail on my midlength 16" and with the SPR/M4 suppressor. The longer the rail the longer the sight radius.

CoryCop25
11-27-10, 01:17
IM THINKING ABOUT ORDERING ONE OF THESE AND I HAVE A FEW Q'S. FIRST I HAVE A CARBINE WITH MAGPUL MOE HANDGUARD. IF I GET THIS RAIL DO I NEED TO GET A DIFFERENT GAS BLOCK? ALSO SHOULD I GET AN 11" OR 13" I HAVE A 16" BARREL AND ITS A DUTY RIFLE

If you have a standard front sight post, you will need to replace it with a low profile gas block or have the front sight post shaved to fit under the rail. (I am assuming that you do not want a shorter 7 inch rail to accommodate the use of the front sight post.) The TRX rail also uses a proprietary barrel nut and wrench so your existing barrel nut and D-ring assembly must also be removed. This is a fairly easy process so don't get too overwhelmed. I suggest the 13" rail for the best control of the rifle (forward most grip surface) and looks... IMO

Dfarmer786
11-27-10, 01:30
DOES ANYONE HAVE PICS OF AN 11 AND 13 ON A 16" BARREL?

Ak44
11-27-10, 01:34
Check This Thread Out (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=46575)

By the way, is there a reason why your posting in all CAPS?

CoryCop25
11-27-10, 01:34
DOES ANYONE HAVE PICS OF AN 11 AND 13 ON A 16" BARREL?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=67498

See post #5. It's a standard not an extreme but it is a 13" on a 16" barrel with a PWS AC30 break.

Dfarmer786
11-27-10, 01:50
I HAVE CAPS ON BECAUSE I PRINT CITATIONS OFF THIS COMP (IN MY PATROL UNIT) AND IT LOOKS SLOPPY WHEN NAMES AND SUCH ARE LOWERCASE. there sorry

Ak44
11-27-10, 02:07
I HAVE CAPS ON BECAUSE I PRINT CITATIONS OFF THIS COMP (IN MY PATROL UNIT) AND IT LOOKS SLOPPY WHEN NAMES AND SUCH ARE LOWERCASE. there sorry

Ah gotcha no worries :cool: FWIW I love the TRX rail, super light. Hopefully that link I posted helped with your decision.

Dfarmer786
11-27-10, 02:58
thx it has all the info i need

maxniman
11-27-10, 07:51
a timely thread as I am looking to adding a 11 or 13" troy also

Surf
11-27-10, 13:43
My 13" Troy TRX on a 16" barrel.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_35931.jpg

Dfarmer786
11-27-10, 15:04
Does anyone know who has these in stock and ready to shit? Possibly in fde color? Doe that color match close to magpul stuff

sfsmedic
11-27-10, 15:33
You could just order directly from Troy. They offer LEO pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MitchK
11-27-10, 16:00
Here's mine with 13 inch rail. Be advised, I had to try a couple different gas blocks before it fit with out touching the inside of the rail. You have a little more room near the end of the rail.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/gomez308/IMG_1104.jpg

William B.
11-27-10, 16:50
The Troy brand low-pro gas block should fit underneath the TRX just fine.

Surf, that's a really clean looking carbine. I like it!

Ak44
11-27-10, 17:24
Does anyone know who has these in stock and ready to shit? Possibly in fde color? Doe that color match close to magpul stuff

Check Bravo Company, SKDtac, G&R, and CalsSportingArmory

MitchK
11-27-10, 18:42
The Troy brand low-pro gas block should fit underneath the TRX just fine.

That's what I ended up with. The DD was a little too big.

maxniman
11-27-10, 19:11
My 13" Troy TRX on a 16" barrel.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_35931.jpg

Surf,

did your afg fit onto the 4" rail section included with the TRX?

MOUNT-N-SLOT
11-27-10, 19:23
Please refrain from advertising in discussion threads.

BAC
11-27-10, 21:03

Oh c'mon, am I the only one who caught this? :p

To answer the question, Troy should have them in-stock. If not Troy, I'd check SKD Tactical. Best bet's a phone call.

-B

devildogljb
11-27-10, 21:08
Oh c'mon, am I the only one who caught this? :p

-B

no your not lol i caught it also, but back ill have to look into this rail ive been looking for a new one.

Dfarmer786
11-27-10, 21:17
lol i didnt even notice that and i typed it. SHIP

Seagrave7
11-28-10, 10:38

Did the DD low profile gas block not fit underneath the TRX extreme?

shootist~
11-28-10, 12:11

Was it the clamp on gas block or the pinned version that would not fit under the TRX?

I have a DD pencil barrel upper /w pinned DD low profile gas block on order, (along with a TRX rail from a different supplier).

Phazuka
11-28-10, 12:35
Anyone have this setup? 11" Troy Extreme on a 14.5 LIGHTWEIGHT barrel and 1.5 comp/fh?

ETA: How about a link to a picture of such a setup?

Surf
11-28-10, 13:06
Surf,

did your afg fit onto the 4" rail section included with the TRX?Yes it fits. With the first gen AFG and it being mounted all the way forward I needed to dremel the end of the AFG to be able to use the QD socket on the 4" rail piece. Some people are doing their own alteration and mounting the AFG direct to the rail itself. The AFG2 may be shorter.

Brahmzy
11-28-10, 13:56
Anybody know if TROY has plans to offer this exact rail in a 308 version (DPMS bbl nut)?

maxniman
11-28-10, 15:31
Yes it fits. With the first gen AFG and it being mounted all the way forward I needed to dremel the end of the AFG to be able to use the QD socket on the 4" rail piece. Some people are doing their own alteration and mounting the AFG direct to the rail itself. The AFG2 may be shorter.

thanks for the info - that is a great looking setup you have!

Harv
11-28-10, 17:02
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/003.jpg
Heres a 9" on a 16" BCM middy

MitchK
11-29-10, 12:05
Was it the clamp on gas block or the pinned version that would not fit under the TRX?

I have a DD pencil barrel upper /w pinned DD low profile gas block on order, (along with a TRX rail from a different supplier).

It was the clamp on version. On my mid length, I think the gas block would work with an 11" rail. There is a little more room near the end.

MitchK
11-29-10, 12:07
Did the DD low profile gas block not fit underneath the TRX extreme?

It fit, but the bottom of the block at the clamping bolts touched the inside of the rail.

shootist~
11-29-10, 12:44
It was the clamp on version. On my mid length, I think the gas block would work with an 11" rail. There is a little more room near the end.

Thanks. I'm near certain there will not be a problem with the DD low profile pinned gas block.

maxniman
11-29-10, 12:58
I just ordered the 11" trx and a troy LP gas block from botach - part of cyber monday sale. 10% off + free shipping

shootist~
11-29-10, 15:21
Troy Industries had 25% off for orders >$250 on Friday. (It was posted in the Blk Friday thread.) The 11" TRX was out of stock, but I ordered one anyway (along with a needed set of BUIS).

tbaytusmc
12-12-10, 03:13

Ew. Don't tell me that. I have my rifle waiting to be assembled back home with a trx extreme and a DD low pro gas block... =\ I do also have a ground-down standard pinned gas block that could possibly hold me over though... but it would be uglly. lol.

akula88
12-12-10, 06:38
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/akula_88/long/18151fea-1.jpg

I needed a rail at 6 o'clock for the bipod on my SPR.

I had to use the 4" rail instead of the 2", since the retaining plate would snag at the bottom of the YHM gas block/set screws. I modified the attachment; cut the long plate into two and had to by-pass the area.

usmcvet
12-12-10, 07:38
Here is a photo of my VTAC 13" on my 14.5" BCM middy.

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=1565

This is a photo of my gun before I switched from the 11" to the 13" and swapped out the SOPMOD for a CTR.

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=1363

Before optics.

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=1328

SteveL
12-12-10, 07:53
Thanks. I'm near certain there will not be a problem with the DD low profile pinned gas block.

I've been assured by Tommy at SmartGunner that the DD low-pro gas block will fit under the TRX extreme. The exact configuration I was asking about was a 16" pencil barrel with mid-length gas system and 13" TRX rail. I don't know if he was referring to a clamp-on or pinned gas block though.

maxniman
12-12-10, 07:55
Ew. Don't tell me that. I have my rifle waiting to be assembled back home with a trx extreme and a DD low pro gas block... =\ I do also have a ground-down standard pinned gas block that could possibly hold me over though... but it would be uglly. lol.

I just installed my 11" troy trx

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/maxniman/DSC05028s.jpg

tbaytusmc
12-12-10, 08:06
I've been assured by Tommy at SmartGunner that the DD low-pro gas block will fit under the TRX extreme. The exact configuration I was asking about was a 16" pencil barrel with mid-length gas system and 13" TRX rail. I don't know if he was referring to a clamp-on or pinned gas block though.

That's kind of a sigh of relief... I've got a mid-length bbl, and I've got the clamp on one. I'm not sure that I've seen too many pin-on low profile gas blocks? If you have, can you point me in that direction? I like the pinned blocks a little better, tbh.
Also, anybody know if a middy gas block will get in the way of the 4" rail section placed all the way forward\bottom on a 13" trx extreme?

@ Maxniman - I cant see the picture... (dang gov't computers... some pics wont show up) Do you have a DD clamp on gas block?

SteveL
12-12-10, 08:41
That's kind of a sigh of relief... I've got a mid-length bbl, and I've got the clamp on one. I'm not sure that I've seen too many pin-on low profile gas blocks? If you have, can you point me in that direction? I like the pinned blocks a little better, tbh.
Also, anybody know if a middy gas block will get in the way of the 4" rail section placed all the way forward\bottom on a 13" trx extreme?

@ Maxniman - I cant see the picture... (dang gov't computers... some pics wont show up) Do you have a DD clamp on gas block?

I'm sorry but I don't think I can be much more help to you. The setup I referenced above will be my first real AR build. I also don't know if it makes a difference that I'm looking at a pencil barrel as opposed to a govt profile.

Seagrave7
12-12-10, 10:36
I'm not sure that I've seen too many pin-on low profile gas blocks? If you have, can you point me in that direction? I like the pinned blocks a little better, tbh.

DD .625 Pinned GB
http://danieldefense.com/components-parts/upper-half/gas-blocks/625-pinned-low-profile-gas-block.html

DD .750 Pinned GB
http://danieldefense.com/components-parts/upper-half/gas-blocks/750-pinned-low-profile-gas-block.html

tbaytusmc
12-12-10, 13:23
@ Seagrave7 - Pretty cool, but I was talking about for barrels that're already pinned (milspec type?) oh, and mines gov't prof. mid length, idk if I've mentioned.

SteveL
12-12-10, 13:33

Follow-up: After exchanging another e-mail with Tommy he informed me that the DD low-pro gas blocks are in fact pinned on.

So now I have another question for those of you here who have the TRX rails installed. Who did you get to install them for you? All I've been able to find so far is that I can order the rail and have it shipped somehwere that will assemble an upper for me using the TRX rail, or I can order a complete upper sans rail and then find someone who can install the rail for me locally. If it matters I'm starting to lean more toward DD over BCM for the upper and barrel because of the lightweight barrel configuration.

ETA: Thanks to all those who have posted pics in this thread. I really love the look of rifles with the TRX rails installed.

tbaytusmc
12-12-10, 14:01
@ SteveL - Not all of the gas lpgb from DD are pinned on. I've one that's clamped on... I'm so close to just sayin' screw it and ordering the Troy lpgb, anyway. lol. It's cheaper, and I shoulda just done it in the first place. I'll probably just return or sell the DD lpgb when I get back home.

Anyway, another thought has hit me... Anybody know a good way of filling or plugging the taper-pin holes? I was thinking about putting the taper pins in and just filing the excess away off of the sides, then painting... Good Idea? Or maybe just go out and buy some black RTV? lol... From what I understand, a lot of the lpgb leave at least one of the pin holes exposed? Just kinda ugly, if you ask me.

shootist~
12-12-10, 14:07
Follow-up: After exchanging another e-mail with Tommy he informed me that the DD low-pro gas blocks are in fact pinned on.

So now I have another question for those of you here who have the TRX rails installed. Who did you get to install them for you? All I've been able to find so far is that I can order the rail and have it shipped somehwere that will assemble an upper for me using the TRX rail, or I can order a complete upper sans rail and then find someone who can install the rail for me locally. If it matters I'm starting to lean more toward DD over BCM for the upper and barrel because of the lightweight barrel configuration.

ETA: Thanks to all those who have posted pics in this thread. I really love the look of rifles with the TRX rails installed.

Check with the competitive A/R shooters at the club(s) in your area and find out who they use locally for such work. This is not a big job, but you need to be sure you use someone trusted (and preferably experience with this specific rail system).

If you are buying the Troy version (as opposed to the VTAC), it will come with a propitiatory barrel nut wrench. It's important that this specific wrench be used for the installation. (Unless things have changed since I did my Troy/VTAC, you had to buy the wrench separably if ordering the VTAC TRX.)

Robb Jensen here on M4C has a lot of experience with TRX installs. I don't know him, but if I were going to mail it off he would be at the top of my list. See this thread for some of his related posts:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=46575&page=3

shootist~
12-12-10, 14:20
@ SteveL - Not all of the gas lpgb from DD are pinned on. I've one that's clamped on...

Stevel is referring to the complete (or semi complete / sans rails) DD uppers ordered through Smartgunner.com. It's been stated that these come standard with the pinned version of the LP-gas block (unless the clamp-on is specifically requested).

I have a DD upper coming from Smartgunner as well (ordered without rails). A Troy TRX is going on this one.

SteveL
12-12-10, 14:34
Check with the competitive A/R shooters at the club(s) in your area and find out who they use locally for such work. This is not a big job, but you need to be sure you use someone trusted (and preferably experience with this specific rail system).

If you are buying the Troy version (as opposed to the VTAC), it will come with a propitiatory barrel nut wrench. It's important that this specific wrench be used for the installation. (Unless things have changed since I did my Troy/VTAC, you had to buy the wrench separably if ordering the VTAC TRX.)

Robb Jensen here on M4C has a lot of experience with TRX installs. I don't know him, but if I were going to mail it off he would be at the top of my list. See this thread for some of his related posts:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=46575&page=3

I'll check around and I'm sure I'll be able to find someone locally who can do the installation for me. I've got a couple of feelers out already and I'm just waiting to hear back. I would prefer not have to ship it out to anyone, but that's just a convenience issue as opposed to a lack of confidence in anyone's skills.

As far as I can tell the Troy TRX does still come with the proprietary wrench necessary for installation.

Most likely I'm going to do the exact same thing as you and order an upper from SmartGunner with no rails and order my own FDE 13" TRX rail and have someone install it for me locally.

And yes, as you said, I was referring only to the builds from SmartGunner when I said the gas blocks are pinned as opposed to clamp-on. As it was worded to me the gas blocks are "pinned by default." I'm guessing that this means I could get a clamp-on block if I requested one.

Just for my own curiosity, does anyone know if the pinned or clamp-on gas blocks are smaller around? Since some are saying the DD gas blocks will touch the inside of a TRX rail I'm curious if this makes a difference. I'm also curious if the DD gas block touches on the govt profile barrel, but not on the pencil barrel, or if it doesn't make any difference.

akula88
12-12-10, 18:31

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/akula_88/long/18151fea-1.jpg

I needed a rail at 6 o'clock for the bipod on my SPR.

I had to use the 4" rail instead of the 2", since the retaining plate would snag at the bottom of the YHM gas block/set screws. I modified the attachment; cut the long plate into two and had to by-pass the area.

I forgot to post that this is a 18" WOA with Midlength gas.

tbaytusmc
12-13-10, 13:48
@ akula88 - I did originally read your post, so thanks a lot for clearin that up! You are a scholar, and a gentleman. :big_boss: (i just wanted to use that smiley...)

shootist~
12-13-10, 17:41
Just as an FYI and this is for my SPR-ish long range A/R - (18" Noveske SPR barrel (intermediate gas) with 13" VTAC TRX:

I initially mounted the 4" accessory rail full forward on the bottom of the rail for my bi-pod. Checking it the other day, I noticed the backer plate was making contact with the (Viltor) low profile gas block. I pulled off the 4" rail and replaced it with a 2" rail in the second slot to get things right. So placement of the accessory rails can be important.

Re-sighted it today and had a 1.75 MOA change on the vertical (Windage did not change).

MitchK
12-13-10, 17:59
Just as an FYI and this is for my SPR-ish long range A/R - (18" Noveske SPR barrel (intermediate gas) with 13" VTAC TRX:

I initially mounted the 4" accessory rail full forward on the bottom of the rail for my bi-pod. Checking it the other day, I noticed the backer plate was making contact with the (Viltor) low profile gas block. I pulled off the 4" rail and replaced it with a 2" rail in the second slot to get things right. So placement of the accessory rails can be important.

Re-sighted it today and had a 1.75 MOA change on the vertical (Windage did not change).

I've run into similar issues with mine. I really like the size, but it does limit what you do with it.

maxniman
12-13-10, 19:12
@ SteveL - Not all of the gas lpgb from DD are pinned on. I've one that's clamped on... I'm so close to just sayin' screw it and ordering the Troy lpgb, anyway. lol. It's cheaper, and I shoulda just done it in the first place. I'll probably just return or sell the DD lpgb when I get back home.

Anyway, another thought has hit me... Anybody know a good way of filling or plugging the taper-pin holes? I was thinking about putting the taper pins in and just filing the excess away off of the sides, then painting... Good Idea? Or maybe just go out and buy some black RTV? lol... From what I understand, a lot of the lpgb leave at least one of the pin holes exposed? Just kinda ugly, if you ask me.

on my setup you really cannot see the troy lpgb behind the rail so I don't think you really have to plug the hole -it's not visible

shootist~
01-25-11, 23:06

Trying to nail this down before I pull the barrel off the upper to install the 11" TRX.

My pencil barrel DD upper arrived today with the clamp on gas block instead of the (supposedly standard) LP pinned on GB. Will the 11" TRX fit over the .625" DD clamp on GB or not?

Looks like it's going to be close. This is a real pisser - I hate to sent it back, but better now than after I ding it up.

ssracer
01-25-11, 23:15
I'm running an 11" TRX on my 16" carbine. Used a Vltor low pro gas block and an AFG on the 4" rail. Just added a Noveske TRX QD plate.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5007/5334579325_c68f56655d_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5010/5374008777_4766308ff9_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5214/5386001627_7eaba27d27_b.jpg

I'm very happy with this rail coming from a cheap 12" quad. Major weight savings and I still have all the rail I need.

sfsmedic
01-30-11, 22:38
I talked to the guys at Troy Friday and they said both the vtac and trxe come with the wrench as long as you order from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk