PDA

View Full Version : Safety engages when I pump my shotgun?

greene
11-27-10, 07:55
I bought a 20 gauge mossberg 500 persuader from my brother in law for a good price. When I pump this thing the safety on top engages. Is their any at home fix for this? This is the first shotgun I've had that did this and I am mostly a rifle shooter so any input is appreciated. Thanks.

jaxman7
11-27-10, 09:20
Check the tension on the safety screw and make sure its tight. Can you mash down on the top of it and feel any play?

-Jax

m24shooter
11-27-10, 12:54
It may be a loose safety screw, but most likely you have a worn safety button/wear plate. This is something that Mossbergs (particularly older ones) are known for. It is a fairly easy fix.
The safest way to fix it is to replace the safety button with either a new polymer unit or better yet a metal button. I would go with a metal button just to be sure that it doesn't happen again.
If you don't feel like doing this, it should be an easy matter for gunsmasher. Put the safety on (to the rear) and open the bolt all the way. You can either put the gun in a vise and bear down with a good gunsmith driver on the security screw and ease it out or cut a cross slot in it with a Dremel and cutoff wheel. Then install the new safety button and screw. Make sure you get a new screw with your safety. If you get one of the aftermarket models it will likely come with a hex head screw that will make it easier to install and remove.