PDA

View Full Version : "Remington Gas Piston" carbine

Slater
11-27-10, 11:20
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/Firearms/Carbines/RGP.aspx

Looking at the above promo ad, I gather that this is just a Bushmaster product with a Remington label. Accurate?

Dave L.
11-27-10, 11:31
Gee, isn't Remington just revolutionizing the AR world...:rolleyes:

RAM Engineer
11-27-10, 11:56

Looking at the above promo ad, I gather that this is just a Bushmaster product with a Remington label. Accurate?

Probably not.

Mauser KAR98K
11-27-10, 11:58
Is that mustard?

Brian1/75
11-27-10, 12:24
I actually kind of like that monolith setup they got going on.

m1a_scoutguy
11-27-10, 12:45
Hmmmm,,not a bad lookin rifle !! Hey its got 1/7 twist & a CHF BBL,,,they are starting to get it right !! ;)

Magsz
11-27-10, 13:00
I think its a beautiful rifle but why a 7 inch handguard on top? They at least extend the bottom over the gas block for a LITTLE more realestate but you're still limited by the position of the gas block itself.

So disappointing. Oh, and the piston does absolutely nothing for me but thats besides the point, i appreciate the aesthetics and function of the rail/upper receiver.

eternal24k
11-27-10, 14:49
I have to say, I am excited for the 10.5 variation.
Well, that and actually seeing the guts to determine if it is worth taking the piston plunge

ETA: if they will even sell them to civvies

Meplat
11-27-10, 16:34
My guess is they have the rail set up like that because it's an adjustable gas block, left exposed so you can get to it and adjust it for whatever reason.

variablebinary
11-27-10, 17:09

Inaccurate. This is a Remington product only...at this time

It's part of their "Keep our bases covered" strategy for any direction the Army takes for replacing or updating the M4.

Hopefully there will be a DI kit too, since it has QD barrels.

rob_s
11-27-10, 17:16
'bout the only piston-operated AR I have much interest in spending any time with. I'd actually like to play with a suppressed 10.5" quite a bit.

However, if they're going to have the exposed gas block I wish they'd just go ahead and make it an FSB, folding or fixed.

SPARC
11-27-10, 17:28
I actually like the rifle, and like others I'm a little excited for the 10.5" version. I couldn't find it on the site and chances are I just missed it, but any idea of when they're going to be released?

Thanks

variablebinary
11-27-10, 19:03
I actually like the rifle, and like others I'm a little excited for the 10.5" version. I couldn't find it on the site and chances are I just missed it, but any idea of when they're going to be released?

Thanks

10.5"

http://www.advanced-armament.com/st/rgp-1.jpg

http://www.advanced-armament.com/st/rgp-2.jpg

Comp gun

http://www.advanced-armament.com/st/rgp-comp2.jpg

Duffy
11-27-10, 19:20
The last picture has our selector on it :D

We've supplied a few to Remington's shooting team :)

SPARC
11-27-10, 19:40
I really like that comp gun. I'm guessing it's running a rifle length gas system? I was thinking of building one as soon as I "finish" my SBR build, but I may have to look into these guns if they fill the need without too many modifications.

variablebinary
11-27-10, 19:44
I really like that comp gun. I'm guessing it's running a rifle length gas system? I was thinking of building one as soon as I "finish" my SBR build, but I may have to look into these guns if they fill the need without too many modifications.

All Remington has done is create fluffy marketing. It's unknown at this time how committed they really are to making these firearms publicly available.

BAC
11-27-10, 19:52
That last picture actually reinforces my own confusion about the exposed gas block... I agree with Magsz that it's a great looking rifle, I just don't understand the exposed gas block.

Looking closer, that lower receiver's shown up before on M4C recently hasn't it? With three different mag wells?

-B

SPARC
11-27-10, 19:53
All Remington has done is create fluffy marketing. It's unknown at this time how committed they really are to making these firearms publicly available.

Gotcha. I was doing some reading on other forums and one of the Remington reps actually said that he wasn't sure when of if they would be released on the civilian market and the best bet to acquire some was using a LE office to contact Remington's Military division.

They may just be gearing up in case the switch from the M4 is made.

eternal24k
11-27-10, 22:06
However, if they're going to have the exposed gas block I wish they'd just go ahead and make it an FSB, folding or fixed.

+1, something similar to the LWRC M6A3 would be just fine

DasBulk
11-27-10, 22:48
Im kinda liking it actually...

SPARC
11-27-10, 22:52
Im kinda liking it actually...

Me too. I'm betting though that if it gets released the price it would cost to get one would easily fund my build plan using a custom B.R.O upper / lower set.

Clint
11-27-10, 23:26
That flip up thing on top of the gas block appears to be the latch that retains the gas plug.

Also looks like a carbine length gas...

Magic_Salad0892
11-28-10, 01:55
That thing is definitely a carbine.

This gun is really unattractive... :|

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 02:37
The upper rec part is kinda unique looking but no interest in the rest.

The greatest thing about DI guns is the modularity in making them. Not sure why these companies are coming out with rigid platforms that are really hard to change. Like the SCAR. Id buy one just to **** with but I dont want a friggin carbine length front rail, and I dont want to pay extra for a cobbled together bolt on rail extension.

Magic_Salad0892
11-28-10, 04:12
The SCAR probably would have been a cooler gun, if it had just been a drop in AR upper receiver.

Now THAT would have been something new to the market.

It would have been like ''SUCK IT, PARA USA!''

scottryan
11-28-10, 10:37
Another botched attempt at the monolith.

Handguard is too short.
Exposed gas block, this should have a front sight on it then
Nowhere to mount a light at 12 oclock on the front of the rail.
Ugly bulbus receiver
I bet the sling sockets are not anti rotation, either

justin_247
11-28-10, 10:39
The SCAR probably would have been a cooler gun, if it had just been a drop in AR upper receiver.

Now THAT would have been something new to the market.

It would have been like ''SUCK IT, PARA USA!''

I agree. I eagerly await the day that they released an upper receiver with a G36 or FN style BCG.

Have you seen the Para TTR's BCG? It's pretty entertaining. They took an AR BCG, cut it in half, and then moved the buffer spring to a piston assembly, allowing them to eliminate the buffer tube.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/ar15/IMG_0645.jpg

variablebinary
11-28-10, 23:04

I think that is what LMT tried to do with the MRP.

Suwannee Tim
11-29-10, 13:46
The revolutionary............

It's revolutionary ya'll! No one has ever seen anything like this before!

.......the RGP is designed from the ground up...

Looks to me like it was designed from the AR up.

Just once, I would like to see Remington have an original idea.