PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade SPARC to EOTech/Aimpoint?

Korgs130
11-27-10, 11:45
This summer got a a Vortex SPARC for my BCM Middy with the intent to eventually upgrade to a higher end red dot. This is my only AR and I shoot 4 or 5 times a year right now. Other than that I have it for home defense/SHTF. *As It turns out, I really like the SPARC. *It's small and light, with a descent battery life. *I really like the 2 MOA dot and so far I've had zero problems. *The life time warrantee is a big plus as well.

I think I understand the advantages of the higher dollar red dots, but it seems that if I make a move to an EOTech or an Aimpoint I sacrifice*something*(in addition to a big chunk of cash) that I have with the SPARC.*

- XPS (less battery life, only a 2 year warrantee)
- Comp C3 (takes up more rail space, only 10 year warrantee)
- H1 (4 MOA dot,*10 year warrantee)

I am not saying that it is a better red dot than those listed above (if this was a duty weapon there would be no discussion), but I'm seriously considering sticking with the SPARC. *Am I crazy? *Any input would be great especially if you have a SPARC and an EOTech or Aimpoint. * Set me straight, thanks!

lethal dose
11-27-10, 12:08
I would not upgrade to an eotech... if you ask me, that's not necessarily an upgrade (maybe in workmanship), however I would move to an aimpoint without hesitation.

payj
11-27-10, 20:10
I would go ahead and buy an AP to replace the Sparc. That said I do think the sparc is pretty nice. Not on the same level as the AP though in terms of quality/craftsmanship. And I would get the AP over the EO....

SPARC
11-27-10, 20:50
I had the Vortex Sparc along with a couple of Primary Arms M3 clones on my 15-22 and some builds I was in the process of "finishing up". They worked great for the money and never really let me down, but I recently upgraded all of my optics to Aimpoint Comp ML3 and T1 units. The added security of knowing the battery isn't going to die in this decade or that it may break if I drop my rifle is very nice and I do not regret the purchase.

I looked at the Eotech sights, with the XPS2 and XPS3 being the main ones. They are really nice but I had a hard time getting used to the Eotech and the Aimpoint series just suited me better. I would recommend trying them out in person before making a decision.

Typically, an Aimpoint or Eotech sight will hold their value. If you decide in a few months that you really don't feel like the upgrade was worth it...just put it up for sale here. You'll take a slight loss, but not that big.

Korgs130
12-13-10, 23:18
Thanks for all of the input. I ended up going with an Aimpoint H-1.
I got it last weeks...great optic.

lethal dose
12-13-10, 23:35
Ah... a great m4c success story. Great job, man- the h1 is a righteous optic.

Korgs130
12-13-10, 23:41
Too true.

aaron_c
12-15-10, 15:38
Congrats on the Aimpoint! Top of the line stuff- can't be beat. I like Vortex's offerings for a non-life-threatening situation optic...but who knows what that will change, you know? Great purchase.

Korgs130
12-16-10, 09:50
Thanks. I really like the Vortex as well, but the Aimpoint definately a step up.