PDA

View Full Version : BCM CHF vs Reg Uppers

ryu_sekai
11-27-10, 12:54
I did a search but had no luck, Im sure its been discussed before but will I notice a difference in accuracy between these two uppers(CHF and Reg C/CL)?
The upper will be used for 3-gun and Classes/Training, so some match grade ammo but mostly bulk training ammo

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20vtrx13.htm
and
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-VTAC-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20vtrx13.htm

thanks

TonyTacoma
11-27-10, 13:01
The first link features bravos cold hammer forged barrel, the second link feateres bravos standard barrel.

I would go for the hammer forged chrome lined barrel.

I did a search but had no luck, Im sure its been discussed before but will I notice a difference in accuracy between these two uppers(CHF and Reg C/CL)?
The upper will be used for 3-gun and Classes/Training, so some match grade ammo but mostly bulk training ammo

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20vtrx13.htm
and
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-VTAC-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20vtrx13.htm

thanks

ryu_sekai
11-27-10, 13:06
The first link features bravos cold hammer forged barrel, the second link feateres bravos standard barrel.

I would go for the hammer forged chrome lined barrel.

Could you elaborate more on why? All comments are appreciated!

Militant83
11-27-10, 14:48
The hammer forged barrel is going to have a longer barrel life vs the standard barrel..so since you plan on using it for classes and training which require alot of shooting, id say go with the hammer forged.

ryu_sekai
11-27-10, 15:14
The hammer forged barrel is going to have a longer barrel life vs the standard barrel..so since you plan on using it for classes and training which require alot of shooting, id say go with the hammer forged.

Is longevity the only advantage? The training will be spilt between 3 guns, "this" ar, my 10.5 and my dept AR, I don't think i would be able to wear out even 2 c/l ARs lol

The_Hammer_Man
11-27-10, 15:48
If as you say, you're other rifles/carbines are an SBR and your LEO cruiser carbine then I'd do what a lot of the guys here in Wisconsin have done.

Get BCM stainless 16" 1:8 barrel.

Almost boringly accurate with even low powered optics. Also, after nearly 6k rounds through the barrel there has been no appreciable loss in accuracy. (You normally see a drop off in accuracy as the chamber throat/barrel crown erodes over time.)

Mine is disturbingly accurate even with 77 gr SMK ammunition.

TonyTacoma
11-27-10, 15:48
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive that cold hammer forged barrels offer increased accuracy, especially during heat cycling. I'm thinking that if the hammer forged barrel is in your budget you should go for it, if not the standard barrel will probably serve you well. Never having shot the ladder I'm not sure you'd know the difference, but if you can afford a better barrel why not ya know?

wwhateley
11-27-10, 21:03
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive that cold hammer forged barrels offer increased accuracy, especially during heat cycling. I'm thinking that if the hammer forged barrel is in your budget you should go for it, if not the standard barrel will probably serve you well. Never having shot the ladder I'm not sure you'd know the difference, but if you can afford a better barrel why not ya know?

IIRC the hammer forging process creates an exceptionally smooth and uniform bore, both of which certainly don't hurt accuracy. But longevity is the same benefit.

texag
11-27-10, 21:12
I wonder how big the durability advantage of CHF over standard really is. With "Filthy 14" topping 40k rounds downrange on a standard barrel with no signs of quitting, is the extra money better spent elsewhere?

djegators
11-27-10, 21:19
I wonder how big the durability advantage of CHF over standard really is. With "Filthy 14" topping 40k rounds downrange on a standard barrel with no signs of quitting, is the extra money better spent elsewhere?

I'd say that's a good point, and maybe the benefit isn't huge...but then again, it's a relatively small expense (~$100) in the grand scheme of things.

Eric D.
11-27-10, 21:23
The forging process does produce a more durable part, there's no question there, but I see your point. When we're talking differences in barrel life of 10-20k rounds, it may not be worth it for some. 40k rounds is an ass-load of ammo and after spending the money and shooting that many rounds, a new barrel is loose change in my pocket.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-27-10, 21:26

IMO, as an owner of a BCM CHF bbl and a CL bbl, there isnt really any difference, but Im only about 2krds into my BFH bbl. I wish we hadnt spent the extra, but if it improves longevity then so be it.