PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the Troy XS CSAT Combat Sight yet?

control_z
11-27-10, 14:39
Hey guys, have any of you installed one of these already on one of your Troy rear BUIS?

http://www.xssights.com/store/CSAT.html (http://www.xssights.com/store/CSAT.html)

If you have please share your experiences both on the installation process and the set-up's performance.

I did some searching and only came up with a thread from a while back discussing the installation of the standard CSAT on Larue and A2 Fixed sights.

(Mods please move this thread if its not in the appropriate section and if so please accept my humble appologies)

Eagle1*
11-27-10, 18:22
I would also like to know if it works really well up close for fast shots.

To the OP, I am a AR15/M16 Armorer and putting the sight on is not bad at all. If you do get one, email me and I can walk you through it. All you need is a 1/16 punch and a screw driver!

mpd046
11-28-10, 07:23
I have one installed on my rifle. I don't really care for it at all. The only reason I bought this sight, is that I wanted a same plane small aperture just for sighting in purposes. The notch that is cut out leaves only a small sliver of metal between the notch and the small aperture. This sliver of metal tends to almost disappear when I look through the rear sight. The rear sight tends to look like a huge "H" instead of a small "O". It's very hard for me to get a good sight picture when sighting in.

I've never actually used the notch to shoot at 7 yards. I've dry fired the setup a few times and found the notch was huge when the gun was shouldered. The problem may just be me. It's not what I'm used to, and I've never given it a chance when live firing. Personally I've just decided to stick with using the large aperture for all iron sight uses.

Installation was simple. XS Sights has a video on their website that details step by step instructions.

Matt

**Sorry I didn't realize you were asking about installation on Troy BUIS, I installed mine in an ARMS**

JodyH
11-28-10, 09:37
I had a TE sample of this sight a few years back.
The notch was so close to the eye that it blended into the peep and just came out as a blurry mess for me.
I'd rather stick to the big aperture and/or just look through/over the sights for close in shots.

control_z
11-29-10, 16:25
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm still pretty curious about these, seems like people were 50/50 about these on the other thread. Some really liked them and other had the same responses.

To the OP, I am a AR15/M16 Armorer and putting the sight on is not bad at all. If you do get one, email me and I can walk you through it. All you need is a 1/16 punch and a screw driver!

Thanks, for the offer. I may take you up on that later in the future. What originally sparked my interest in the Troy CSAT was that it would give me an excuse to disassemble my Flip-up Troy so that I could switch the orientation of the aperture from large to small "at the ready". BTW, I've also search for info on this and only found one thread, actually here on this site. However, the question was only presented but unanswered.

PatrolRifleGroup
12-01-10, 18:14
I had a TE sample of this sight a few years back.
The notch was so close to the eye that it blended into the peep and just came out as a blurry mess for me.
I'd rather stick to the big aperture and/or just look through/over the sights for close in shots.

+1

Don't waste your money.

Gutshot John
12-01-10, 18:28
Was considering it until I tried a friends...Not a fan.

Jim D
12-01-10, 19:57
I run it in a Larue rear sight. I haven't experienced any reason to stop using it.

The notch will seem huge when you use it, but you can still line it up just fine. I've shot POA/POI dime sized groups at 7 yards with it.

I basically think it adds a capability, without costing anything (except $35).

jsebens
12-01-10, 19:59
I run one in a DD rear sight body on my AR. Works great. I did move the rear sight forward a few notches...kind of counter-intuitive, but it makes it much easier to use.

Mjolnir
12-03-10, 16:13
I run it in a Larue rear sight. I haven't experienced any reason to stop using it.

The notch will seem huge when you use it, but you can still line it up just fine. I've shot POA/POI dime sized groups at 7 yards with it.

I basically think it adds a capability, without costing anything (except $35).

Does it "require" a 100 yard/meter zero or can one still use a 36 yd or 50 yard conventional zero? I ask only because I know he prefers a 100 yd/m zero.

Jim D
12-03-10, 16:25
Does it "require" a 100 yard/meter zero or can one still use a 36 yd or 50 yard conventional zero? I ask only because I know he prefers a 100 yd/m zero.

To be honest, I don't know. I also prefer a 100 yard zero, so I've never tried it with a 50.

It would still work, but might shift your pinpoint POA/POI a foot or two off of exactly 21'.