PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 G17

dvdlpzus
11-27-10, 15:19
Yesterday I shot the new Gen 4 G17 for the first time. My friends and I went to the handgun range and I took my M&P9 and MkIII. I very nice Marine officer had just bought this G17 a few hours ago and he let me put 100 rounds of WWB through it. I am surprised how well this handgun shoots. It is the most accurate Glock I've shot @ 15 yds. It is a little big bigger than my M&P9 but it feels lighter. The G17 is much more snappier than my M&P9, however, obtaining the sights was easy. The trigger feels lighter than my M&P9 with DCAEK kit but it is longer. Unfortunately I did not took my camera to bring back pictures of the groupings. Overall the Gen 4 feels much better in the hand than any Gen 3 I've tried and was easier to shoot. The only bothersome feature I encountered was how snappy it is.

Anyone else has similar experience?

Mjolnir
11-27-10, 18:32
I agree with all points except I've not shot a thusly-equipped M&P9. One thing you did not mention - perhaps you did not try it - when shooting at my capability (for speed) the Glock feels 'better' as I perceive it to have less muzzle flip (but more push against the hand); 6 on one hand 1/2 dozen on the other as the total Energy is constant - something has to give, right? Riight? Yep. The M&P feels more "natural" in my hands (a function of superior ergonomics). I also find the Gen IV to be remarkably accurate (for a striker fired polymer pistol).

JHC
11-27-10, 18:34
Could you elaborate on snappy? I've got a 2400 rds in an M&P 9mm and triple that through Gen 4 9mms and I'm trying to relate to your description.

I've seen other experienced shooters compare and say they thought the M&P recoil felt softer. I think that could be possible due to the ergo grip design of the M&P. I can't say I could easily distinguish a difference in actual recoil transmitted to the the hand.

I thought the M&P front end rose more in recoil than the Glocks - which I attribute to the somewhat higher bore axis than the Glock's. This is probably an over rated attribute as it's all occurring in a fraction of a second and the M&P comes right back down on target.
So although I guzzle Glock koolaid, I realize this difference is not necessarily a significant issue for good shooting.

Should we assume this gun ran the WWB reliably? You didn't mention the $64,000 question about anyone's Gen 4 experience. ;)

dvdlpzus
11-27-10, 20:57
Sorry to not elaborate in my wording. I am still working very hard in my English. By snappier I mean that it was pushing my hand more similar to the Glock 22. I did not shoot the G17 for speed. I was just focusing in accuracy. It did feed the 100 rounds of WWB I put through it + the Federal ammo the young officer put through it.

I am not a gun expert and I am not close to being one. This are just my observations and differences I felt next to my M&P9. I have about 4,000 rounds through my M&P9 and it has never been cleaned.

randyho
11-27-10, 21:07
Overall the Gen 4 feels much better in the hand than any Gen 3 I've tried and was easier to shoot. The only bothersome feature I encountered was how snappy it is.

Anyone else has similar experience?
Exactly opposite, actually. My gen4 g17 is the softest-shooting 9mm I've ever shot. It's noticeably softer than my gen2 g19 back to back. Mine does, however, have the original recoil spring, and has been utterly reliable through a few thousand rounds of wwb, wolf, s&b, corbon, etc.

JHC
11-27-10, 22:35
Sorry to not elaborate in my wording. I am still working very hard in my English. By snappier I mean that it was pushing my hand more similar to the Glock 22. I did not shoot the G17 for speed. I was just focusing in accuracy. It did feed the 100 rounds of WWB I put through it + the Federal ammo the young officer put through it.

I am not a gun expert and I am not close to being one. This are just my observations and differences I felt next to my M&P9. I have about 4,000 rounds through my M&P9 and it has never been cleaned.

You are off to a very good start. Most gun owners never see 4K rounds. ;)

citizensoldier16
11-27-10, 23:48
Most gun owners never see 4K rounds.

Very true. However, I must not be "most gun owners". My G17 has seen over 200 IDPA matches (100+ rounds each give or take) and plenty of range time. I'd say I've got close to 35k rounds through mine. Original barrel, spring, and guide rod. She still shoots POA-POI at 25 yards and holds a damn tight group. Hard to beat the G17 for a 9mm pistol.