PDA

View Full Version : Got my M&P9!

SpookyPistolero
11-27-10, 15:56
Went to the gunshow today to unload my XD9 and an H&R I don't shoot. Couldn't get rid of them, so I took them to my local shop and traded them both even-steven for an M&P9. I took a hit but I was happy to get rid of the XD, and I don't like having things around that I don't use (like the H&R).

Spent about 1/2 hour on paper and 1/2 hour on steel with the M&P9. Fantastic shooter! Literally took it out of the box and started shooting. No jams with American Eagle ball ammo, roughly 250 rounds. Feels very good in the hand, and the trigger isn't nearly as objectionable as 'the web' has sometimes made it out to be. (And I'd initially planned on getting one tricked out from Grant, pending the sale of the XD, but that didn't pan out as I'd hoped..)

Pics later, when I find the camera. Just wanted to say thanks to those who gave the recommendation on this. Time will tell if I shoot this better than my G19, but things look good so far.

Random note: I did learn today that I shoot much, much better with 'full' extension of my arms when shooting. I normally have a very slight bend in them when shooting. I drove it as far out as I could today on the steel, and found my point of aim was much more natural, and recoil was at least as manageable.

Edited to add: which grip size are most of you guys using? I shot the medium all day and enjoyed it. I have large hands. But the small size does allow me to get my hand around more real estate.

gtmtnbiker98
11-27-10, 16:23
Congrats!

bmg
11-27-10, 16:32
Congrats!

I did something similar a few weeks back. I had a new in the box XDM that I'd pretty much regretted buying from the moment I got it home a couple of years ago. I traded it in on an MP9 Pro.

brushy bill
11-27-10, 16:51
Hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Flawless so far. Agree that for me, the stock trigger is no where as problematic as I had envisioned based on various postings.

variablebinary
11-27-10, 17:01
The M&P is much better than the XD. Well Done!

Don't get mod fever until you know your stock pistol well and have real needs established.

SpookyPistolero
11-27-10, 17:25
The M&P is much better than the XD. Well Done!

Don't get mod fever until you know your stock pistol well and have real needs established.

I very much agree. I just need a holster, and a few thousand rounds of ammo. Maybe some night sights.

MP9
11-28-10, 12:16
Congratulations..
I got my m&p9 almost on octuber and I have put 1800 rounds....

only 1 FTE after like 500 shoot without cleaning.

I rented the glock 19 again last week and shoot both now than I have a little more experience with guns. with the mp9 the shoot is more smooth, aim naturally and feel less muzzle flip.

Thinking in rent glock 23 and mp40 to compare.

very happy with the gun

Beat Trash
11-28-10, 14:07
I think you will end up enjoying the trade you did, even though you may have taken a bit of a hit. To trade off two guns you have no use for for one that you enjoy and that fulfills your needs is a good move on your part.

I have larger hands with kind of long fingers. I really enjoy the feel of the Medium grips when handling the gun at a store, ect. But once I start to shoot, I use the large grips. The Medium grips allow too much trigger finger unless I make a concerted effort to pay attention. When I use the larger grips, I get just about the right amount of finger on the trigger without thinking about it.

I stippled the removable grips, but left the frame alone. This made a huge improvement in my grip on the gun, especially when I'm in the rain or doing extended searches during hot and muggy days.

I am starting on my 5th year of carrying an issued M&P 9mm. I have shot several other Department owned M&P's during this time frame. I like it so much, I have purchased 4 M&P's of my own, or for others.

I have read tons of posts about the trigger issues with the M&P. Mainly dealing with trigger reset. While I agree the reset is weak, I find it's not the issue many feel it is. I found that through training with the gun, I personally don't have any issues with the reset. The actual trigger tends to smooth out with rounds down range.

SpookyPistolero
11-28-10, 15:22
I think you will end up enjoying the trade you did, even though you may have taken a bit of a hit. To trade off two guns you have no use for for one that you enjoy and that fulfills your needs is a good move on your part.

I have larger hands with kind of long fingers. I really enjoy the feel of the Medium grips when handling the gun at a store, ect. But once I start to shoot, I use the large grips. The Medium grips allow too much trigger finger unless I make a concerted effort to pay attention. When I use the larger grips, I get just about the right amount of finger on the trigger without thinking about it.

I stippled the removable grips, but left the frame alone. This made a huge improvement in my grip on the gun, especially when I'm in the rain or doing extended searches during hot and muggy days.

I am starting on my 5th year of carrying an issued M&P 9mm. I have shot several other Department owned M&P's during this time frame. I like it so much, I have purchased 4 M&P's of my own, or for others.

I have read tons of posts about the trigger issues with the M&P. Mainly dealing with trigger reset. While I agree the reset is weak, I find it's not the issue many feel it is. I found that through training with the gun, I personally don't have any issues with the reset. The actual trigger tends to smooth out with rounds down range.

Good post! Thanks for the thoughts. Re: the insert size, I bet you're right about the med vs. large. The med. fits well when I'm fooling around (and it's what I shot with during the first & only spurt), but I'd wager the larger size puts the pad of my finger where it ought to be. With the med. on, it puts the the trigger right in the joint.

bilat
11-28-10, 16:50
Congrats on the purchase. Thats my next gun thanks to your review! :laugh:

Omega Man
11-28-10, 23:45
I was just about to order an M&P9 from Grant when i learned about the "dead trigger" issue, and now im waiting until i find one that was made after Sept. 2010. Apparently these have the MA sear spring which has thus far solved the dead trigger problem.