PDA

View Full Version : Free Floating a 24" Barrel

TimBoothe
11-27-10, 17:07
Newby here, bear with me. I'm trying to add a flat top upper and free float my Bushmaster that comes with a 24" barrel.

As far as free floating; what are my options? I was thinking of using a Troy TRX Extreme 13". When I measure from the delta ring forward 13", it looks like the TRX will land somewhere in my front sight. I've seen where folks have cut their front sight and used free float rails that are longer than what they had to begin with and simply covered their front sight and added a flip up.

I mean even if I went with another gas block, due to the length of the tube, I'll still be in the same boat with the TRX not covering the entire gas block. If I go shorter, then some of the gas tube will be exposed which I assume is unacceptable.

Help!!!

Thanks a million,
Tim Boothe

TimBoothe
11-27-10, 18:30
Ok, ok...I'm learning, please don't laugh. Some one please tell me if I've got this right. Having a 24" barrel should give me a "Rifle length gas system". With that said, I need to shop around for a "Rifle length" free float hand guard.

Did I get it?

Thanks a million,
TimBoothe

Brian1/75
11-27-10, 18:48
You're correct, otherwise you'll have gas tube exposed if you go with a shorter rail.

MistWolf
11-27-10, 21:17
While covering the gas block affords it greater protection, there's no law leaving the gasblock uncovered either partially or completely. I would make sure the gas tube was protected.

While I'm unfamiliar with the specs of the Bushmaster, some 24 inch barrels are drilled for a longer gas system

kmrtnsn
11-27-10, 21:40
While covering the gas block affords it greater protection, there's no law leaving the gasblock uncovered either partially or completely. I would make sure the gas tube was protected.

While I'm unfamiliar with the specs of the Bushmaster, some 24 inch barrels are drilled for a longer gas system

Longer than rifle length? Never seen it.

SPARC
11-27-10, 22:04
I have a Alexander Arms 6.5G upper with a 24" barrel. I replaced the MI rail with a DD 14" LITE rail and I couldn't be happier with the decision. It has all the space I need and looks really good on the 24" barrel.

I've never owned a Troy rail or handguard system, but they're supposed to be top notch. A friend owns the 13.8" on his 19.5 AA setup and it shoots as good as it feels. I've always loved DD rails and that's what led me to purchasing the 14" LITE.

MistWolf
11-27-10, 23:47
Longer than rifle length? Never seen it.

Whoops! The barrel I was thinking of was the White Oak 26 incher. My bad!

TimBoothe
11-28-10, 13:29
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm going to do some looking around for "Rifle length" goodies and go from there.

Thanks again,
TimBoothe