PDA

View Full Version : Home defense ammunition, I need your advice.

TonyTacoma
11-27-10, 17:13
Relatively new to the AR home defense platform and I'm looking for some good home defense ammo. Any advice is highly appreciated!

m1a_scoutguy
11-27-10, 22:13
Relatively new to the AR home defense platform and I'm looking for some good home defense ammo. Any advice is highly appreciated!

There mite be others,,but I think the Main Choice is Hornady TAP ammo !!! Maybe some Winchester Silver tip,,something along those lines !! Try a Search,,ya mite find alot of info on this subject !! :)

TonyTacoma
11-27-10, 22:28
Thanks for the reply, search is not working for me at the moment, I'll try later on the computer at home, any weight recommendations?

shootist~
11-27-10, 22:55
See the sticky threads in the terminal ballistics forum:
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91

markm
11-28-10, 11:37
From my 11.5" gun yesterday.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3580.jpg?t=1290965519

Black Jeep
11-28-10, 17:04
In my extremely limited opinion [read that as about the same boat as you], I feel pretty confident in either the Hornady TAP or the Speer Gold Dot. I typically pick up whichever one is in stock at the gun shop.

As far as which bullet weight is best for you, I've come to the edge of my lane and will defer to those who know much more than I.

TonyTacoma
11-28-10, 18:21
Thanks all for your help, I may be choosing the TAP 75gr ammo to go through my 1/7 barrel

GunnutAF
11-30-10, 14:49
Tony
SD ammo needs to be tailored to your particular situation. As in do you live in a house or apartment? A large house or a small house? Do you have others living there or just you? Understand a .223/5.56mm round will zip through many walls before they stop, especially heavy bullets! If you don't reload and you need to worry about bullets zipping through walls TAP is also loads with 60 gr VMax which should break up better going through walls vs. staying together and going through many walls. I do believe Rem makes a 55gr HP which would also be a great stopper with out extreme wall penertration! Also most folks overlook the benefits of a shoty for SD
loaded with #1,00 buck is a killer at most SD ranges!

ryan
12-01-10, 17:38
Tony
SD ammo needs to be tailored to your particular situation. As in do you live in a house or apartment? A large house or a small house? Do you have others living there or just you? Understand a .223/5.56mm round will zip through many walls before they stop, especially heavy bullets! If you don't reload and you need to worry about bullets zipping through walls TAP is also loads with 60 gr VMax which should break up better going through walls vs. staying together and going through many walls. I do believe Rem makes a 55gr HP which would also be a great stopper with out extreme wall penertration! Also most folks overlook the benefits of a shoty for SD

Actually that is not exactly correct a shotgun is more likely to overpenetrate, this link should help https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=44869

GunnutAF
12-01-10, 18:39
ryan
Actually everything one might normally use for SD will OVER PENERTRATE! The BOX of truth has done some informal testing on many SD weapons and no matter what you use bullets or pellets are going through walls in a normal house! That is going to be the least of my worries if I have to defend my life from attack! Priority number one for me is to win! That's why we practice to ensure hits on target- then the likely hood of pass through walls is deminished !:D

ryan
12-01-10, 20:04

TonyTacoma
12-02-10, 01:12
I appreciate the info and concern, luckily I live rather large house with my woman and myself. Occasionally we do have kids over but I think I may pickup a different weapon in a case when they are at the house.
I did a little reading and decided to give the heavy rounds a chance, well see how they shoot, I may step to a lighter load as it is.

And your right a pumpgun is a great home sd tool and I do have one that I prize very much and hope I never have to use ;)

Tony

goneballistic
01-27-11, 01:10
I currently have hornady TAP but have a really really bad shooting lane situation as the only door into our room basically faces right towards our girls room. there are three walls between us and the angle is somewhat oblique but if someone truly is coming through that door, we can be sort of shooting in their direction.

so I have loaded up a bunch of barnes Varmint Grenade frangible rounds in 55 gr to see how they fare against drywall etc.

on their website they show them blowing up on grapes, so I'm hoping they will not survive through two layers of drywall.

still don't like the setup but I can't move the rooms around. WE are thining of moving the girls to another room if we can get an addition built on the house.