PDA

View Full Version : A Somali teen planned terrorism at Oregon Christmas Tree event

variablebinary
11-27-10, 19:42
Wait...it wasnt a nun, 80 year old white grandma, a 6 year old boy or hot college girl?

Really? A Somali...named Mohamed...planned to blow up Christians/Americans. NO! Really? Who knew?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101127/ap_on_re_us/us_portland_car_bomb_plot;_ylt=AolnMMHG6I8pb3yQBam5leKs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNwZnRpOWVxBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAxMTI3L3VzX3BvcnRsYW5kX2Nhcl9ib21iX3Bsb3QEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwMxBHBvcwMyBHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNmZWRzc29tYWxpLWI-

Oregon bomb-plot suspect wanted 'spectacular show

PORTLAND, Ore. – A Somali-born teenager plotted "a spectacular show" of terrorism for months, saying he didn't mind that children would die if he bombed a crowded Christmas tree-lighting ceremony, according to a law-enforcement official and court documents.
He never got the chance. Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, was arrested Friday in downtown Portland after using a cell phone to try to detonate what he thought were explosives in a van, prosecutors said. It turned out to be a dummy bomb put together by FBI agents.

Honu
11-27-10, 19:56
they should bring him out to a gravel pit and strap him to a real bomb :)
give him a cell phone and say you have one hour and one phone call to get loose
of course the first call will detonate it ;)

video it and youtube it saying this is what we are going to start to do to all people caught with ties to terrorism

JackOSU
11-27-10, 21:55
they should bring him out to a gravel pit and strap him to a real bomb :)
give him a cell phone and say you have one hour and one phone call to get loose
of course the first call will detonate it ;)

video it and youtube it saying this is what we are going to start to do to all people caught with ties to terrorism

I could definatley get on board with this!

Probably the only reality TV I would watch :D

Titleist
11-27-10, 21:57
I was down at the tree lighting that evening. F*&K that guy. Seriously.

GermanSynergy
11-27-10, 21:59
Shocking. I'm waiting for the media to go into PC overdrive and try to explain why he hated us..... :rolleyes:

No.6
11-27-10, 22:06
Well, duh! Someone needs to realize to stop him we should ban Christmas! I mean how simple is that? Then he wouldn't have a reason to hate us.

;)

bkb0000
11-27-10, 22:20
i just skimmed the article you posted..

but to emphasize, he was essentially approached by the FBI (obviously not knowing it), felt out to decide if he was a likely candidate, and then the rest was just handed to him. they trained him, took him out to detonate a "test" bomb, gave him the plans for the "real" bomb, had him go shopping for the parts, gave him the van and mock explosives, showed him how to assemble it and did it with him, and told him to go park it where it'd do the most damage.

how is this not entrapment?

don't get me wrong- he's a muslim, and i therefor hate him. but how's this news? why am i watching MSNBC reports on it? im gonna go with: the FBI just really, really wants to keep this terrorism panic alive, so they've resorted to inventing "thwarted terrorist attacks."

this stunk from the moment i read the first article, and it stinks more and more.

-an Oregonian

parishioner
11-27-10, 22:22
This is one of those cases where trial should be skipped and we should drag this ****er behind the shed TONIGHT. I don't have the patience or tolerance for any other action.

BrianS
11-27-10, 22:35
how is this not entrapment?

My understanding is that he took the first step in trying to contact a known jihadist, Feds caught wind of it, then they got back to him with an undercover agent claiming to be the guy he was trying to contact.

As long as you take the first step the Feds can lead you down the road as far as they need to get a conviction without it being entrapment. This is similar to all the cases you see of people trying to hire hitmen that are almost always undercover police officers - also not entrapment.

bkb0000
11-27-10, 23:02
My understanding is that he took the first step in trying to contact a known jihadist, Feds caught wind of it, then they got back to him with an undercover agent claiming to be the guy he was trying to contact.

As long as you take the first step the Feds can lead you down the road as far as they need to get a conviction without it being entrapment. This is similar to all the cases you see of people trying to hire hitmen that are almost always undercover police officers - also not entrapment.

it's my understanding that he'd been trying to get to a sponser to get to pakistan to jihad, presumably against NATO occupation forces in a-stan, but that this under-cover told him something along the lines of "i cant get you to pakistan, but i know something else that might interest a young jihadist such as yourself...."

whatever the case- entrapment or not, it's still ****ing pathetic. the fact that it was next day front-page news makes it more so. homeland security wants your vote, and it'll dig around for kids with probably temporary delusions of martyrdom and spend countless man-hours and millions of dollars turning them into terrorists if it can't find any real ones.

Belmont31R
11-27-10, 23:48
Whats pathetic is we let 3rd world muslims (or any other 3rd worlders) immigrate here en masse. We don't have enough people in this country already? Gotta go to Africa.....perhaps one of the biggest shit holes in Africa...and import them here?

kal
11-28-10, 00:13
or any other 3rd worlders

I don't agree with this at all.

I like to think that the US is a conglomerate of people who ran away from their home countries due to a poor status quo that could not be changed, to unite as one, in a country called the United States of America.

3rd world people (although should be profiled for safety:D) should continue to be allowed to migrate and live peacefully in the US as many Americans did in the past.

bkb0000
11-28-10, 00:32
there's a couple ways to look at it.. but i don't think just because our forefathers immigrated here means we're somehow required to keep letting any asshole potatohead in. everybody immigrated to everywhere, at some point. we immigrated HERE to make something unique. make society like we wanted it. why cant we make it what we want, and keep it that way? they've taken over europe. you want to be a minority to islamic fundamentalism? you're gonna be.

i have no problem with almost total isolationism. put KEEP OUT signs every 50 feet along every border, and adopt australian-like immigration and visitation policies. thats the ONE thing they're doing right down-under, last i heard.

not that this is an immigration thread.

m4fun
11-28-10, 00:52
Dig the "Australian Rules" for immigration.

On the profile side is first from Somalia, next, guys name is "Mohamed Osman Mohamud" hmm. Oh, and yells "Alaha Akbar!"

I want to write CARE and get their opinion...

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-28-10, 00:56
Cell phone ear piece needs to be a shaped charge, just like the Israelis did to that **** in Lebanon a few years ago.

Can you hear me now, bitch!

Watch out for those right wing terrorists Tea Partiers!

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 01:06
I don't agree with this at all.

I like to think that the US is a conglomerate of people who ran away from their home countries due to a poor status quo that could not be changed, to unite as one, in a country called the United States of America.

3rd world people (although should be profiled for safety:D) should continue to be allowed to migrate and live peacefully in the US as many Americans did in the past.

Most previous immigrants came from countries with similar laws and traditions as the US. Also in previous years the population level was significantly lower than it is now. Back then we needed lots of people willing to work, and expand westward.

Now not so much. Now importing 3rd world people means, generally, our standard goes down because these people fail to assimilate or take on our traditions. We are not an expanding country anymore with plenty of room for everyone, we didn't have welfare, ect. The people that came often knew a trade, could create a business, and do what they needed. Sure we had "Little Italy" and immigrant communities but that has translated over into a rich diversity. What are Somalis going to add? UN food restaurants?

In the case of Somali's I don't see how they are benefiting us at all. What do they bring to the table to improve America...a net gain if you will...? We really need to import people when we have around 15%+ unemployment?

Not to mention Somalia was at one time a hot bed for AQ action. Why are we importing people from nations known to have AQ involvement? I felt the same way when I was in Iraq, and all our terps were trying to get sent to the US. One of them ended up in jail being interrogated after he started asking us odd questions, and his cell phone history was linked to insurgents in the area. Asking about the IED jammers and shit like that.

Magic_Salad0892
11-28-10, 01:25
Dude, I almost drove out to meet a friend at that event.

Wow.

O_o

Bowser
11-28-10, 07:46
I'm gonna pick up another Noveske lower and Infidel t-shirt now.

SeriousStudent
11-28-10, 09:44
I was down at the tree lighting that evening. F*&K that guy. Seriously.

:eek:

Holy poop.

rickrock305
11-28-10, 10:33
don't get me wrong- he's a muslim, and i therefor hate him.

:D :rolleyes:

I fail to understand how this makes you any different than the terrorists.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-28-10, 11:23

Uhhm, he didn't try to blow any body up.

We are never going to make it so that everyone loves everyone else. That is some lib-tard fantasy. What we need to do is make it so that strapping on a C4, nails, and anti-coagulant salad is not people's way of dealing with it. We need to get the Muslim extremists to soccer hooligan level.

kwelz
11-28-10, 11:35

We are never going to make it so that everyone loves everyone else. That is some lib-tard fantasy. What we need to do is make it so that strapping on a C4, nails, and anti-coagulant salad is not people's way of dealing with it. We need to get the Muslim extremists to soccer hooligan level.

But he didn't say terrorists. He said Muslims. And I haven't seen any of my Muslim friends blowing anyone up either.

theblackknight
11-28-10, 13:27
But he didn't say terrorists. He said Muslims. And I haven't seen any of my Muslim friends blowing anyone up either.

All that means is they are good people and shitty muslims. Their religion isnt being hijacked as the media says(sweet terrorist pun!).

rickrock305
11-28-10, 14:45

Neither did the vast majority of Muslims.

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 14:49
Neither did the vast majority of Muslims.

Very few condemn it when its against westerners. Even from the videos I saw after 9/11 muslims around the world were celebrating.

Usually the "moderate" muslims are western born and not fully devout.

Phazuka
11-28-10, 15:01
Christmas trees will be banned soon!

:big_boss:

kwelz
11-28-10, 16:07
All that means is they are good people and shitty muslims. Their religion isnt being hijacked as the media says(sweet terrorist pun!).

As someone who has read the Qur'an and the bible I disagree.

ALCOAR
11-28-10, 16:13
All I am gonna say is that the FBI is obviously the Cell leader....numerous failed attempts by the FBI and their cohorts lead me to this conclusion.

Where does the FBI find these idiots to setup....:confused:

rickrock305
11-28-10, 16:33
Very few condemn it when its against westerners. Even from the videos I saw after 9/11 muslims around the world were celebrating.

Usually the "moderate" muslims are western born and not fully devout.

My issue is this...

Terrorists WANT to paint this as a holy war against all of Islam, which it is not and should not be. It plays right into their PR campaign to call all Muslims terrorists.

murphy j
11-28-10, 16:43

Was it a properly translated Qur'an? I'm just curious as I believe there's only 2 or 3 translations that are accepted by Islamic scholars. I also believe one of those was done by a gentleman who later converted to Christianity and espoused the dangers of Islam. I may be wrong as my memory is a bit hazy on the subject. Also, not trying to pick a fight, just genuinely curious as there's a lot of conflicting information on the subject, but most of what I've seen, read and heard has gotten me leaning more towards theblackknight's opinion. If possible, could you elaborate more on your opinion and knowledge here, or in a new thread. I'm sure it would be helpful to me and others to have a better understanding. Thanks.

kaiservontexas
11-28-10, 17:20
All I am gonna say is that the FBI is obviously the Cell leader....numerous failed attempts by the FBI and their cohorts lead me to this conclusion.

Where does the FBI find these idiots to setup....:confused:

Yep

Nothing real about this kid except being egged on for political expansion reasons on part of the .gov. He is not some person who just went for it. He was given everything while being proded in conversation.

Now if this was some independent I would believe it, but the fact they had to supply, support, and hang out with this person is garbage. You don't see that with other crimes. No agent is coming on to meth trash saying here is how you cook crystals. Be realistic . . . and no I doubt that individual is somebody I want to be friends with, but by himself he would probably just spew ignorant crap like a bonehead.

ALCOAR
11-28-10, 17:51
Yep

Nothing real about this kid except being egged on for political expansion reasons on part of the .gov. He is not some person who just went for it. He was given everything while being proded in conversation.

Now if this was some independent I would believe it, but the fact they had to supply, support, and hang out with this person is garbage. You don't see that with other crimes. No agent is coming on to meth trash saying here is how you cook crystals. Be realistic . . . and no I doubt that individual is somebody I want to be friends with, but by himself he would probably just spew ignorant crap like a bonehead.

Yeah this is SOP for the FBI....

Just two recent occurrences of what happened above, the FBI has done this for years.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-arrests-terrorists-sting-operations-dallas-springfield/story?id=8666300

http://cicentre.net/wordpress/index.php/2010/10/19/4-homegrown-jihadists-convicted-in-new-york-city-bombstinger-missiles-plot/

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 17:56
My issue is this...

Terrorists WANT to paint this as a holy war against all of Islam, which it is not and should not be. It plays right into their PR campaign to call all Muslims terrorists.

The west has been at war with the mid-east for the last thousand years. Its like Korea. We have cease fires now and then but its been an ongoing war since 1000AD and earlier.

Two completely opposing types of societies with hundreds of millions (or billion +) fervent followers who thinks the other guy is wrong about everything.

One of (maybe the first) our country's first international war act was going to the Barbary Coast to kill muslims.

armakraut
11-28-10, 18:12
Send him back to Somalia.

Col_Crocs
11-28-10, 18:20
Most previous immigrants came from countries with similar laws and traditions as the US. Also in previous years the population level was significantly lower than it is now. Back then we needed lots of people willing to work, and expand westward.

Now not so much. Now importing 3rd world people means, generally, our standard goes down because these people fail to assimilate or take on our traditions. We are not an expanding country anymore with plenty of room for everyone, we didn't have welfare, ect. The people that came often knew a trade, could create a business, and do what they needed. Sure we had "Little Italy" and immigrant communities but that has translated over into a rich diversity. What are Somalis going to add? UN food restaurants?

In the case of Somali's I don't see how they are benefiting us at all. What do they bring to the table to improve America...a net gain if you will...? We really need to import people when we have around 15%+ unemployment?

Not to mention Somalia was at one time a hot bed for AQ action. Why are we importing people from nations known to have AQ involvement? I felt the same way when I was in Iraq, and all our terps were trying to get sent to the US. One of them ended up in jail being interrogated after he started asking us odd questions, and his cell phone history was linked to insurgents in the area. Asking about the IED jammers and shit like that.

While I dont completely agree with your first post on all 3rd worlders from what I understood it to be, I totally agree with this one.
Rules need to change. Screw PCness... Profiling should be put in place for the safety of everyone and not the psychological comfort of some. Also, immigrants should be required to assimilate and adjust to US culture and not the other way around. What is happening is, American traditions are sometimes being nullified out of sensitivity to immigrant cultures. This is ridiculous.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-28-10, 18:22
So we got a short-bus wanna-be terrorists off the streets. Everyone makes fun of these morons until they get lucky and actually light something off. They are all hapless idiots till the det cord ignites.

This FBI sting does two things.
1. Dumbasses will be less likely to reach out and try to join a group in doing an attack. They have to be less effective by themselves.

2. Any budding terrorist here in the states is questioning anyone who is not a blood relative that is in on the plan. Nice FUD play.

Honu
11-28-10, 23:22

is that kind of like staying in a Holiday Inn last night ?

Honu
11-28-10, 23:25
the fact the guy was reaching out ? HMMM

the fact he went through thinking he was going to kill innocent people and said who cares if they are children !!

that kinda says it all even if he was lead along ! he did reach out first and if it was not the gov that intercepted him and a radical group then we would be reading about innocent lives lost

good thing he was caught

to think this is entrapment ? UMMMMM OK he had lots of opportunities to say NO but he kept going along

entrapment would be something totally dif !!!

Terracoma
11-28-10, 23:37
So we got a short-bus wanna-be terrorists off the streets. Everyone makes fun of these morons until they get lucky and actually light something off. They are all hapless idiots till the det cord ignites.

Exactly.

Professionals don't start out as professionals.

Send him back to Somalia.

This.

BrianS
11-29-10, 04:05

I thought liberals viewed satire as some kind of holy grail.

Dave L.
11-29-10, 06:21
Now our tax money will be spent to keep him safe in prison watching flat-screen TV's with 3 hots and a cot.

John_Wayne777
11-29-10, 06:55
homeland security wants your vote, and it'll dig around for kids with probably temporary delusions of martyrdom and spend countless man-hours and millions of dollars turning them into terrorists if it can't find any real ones.

I strongly encourage you to go back and look at the lives of the people who have pulled off spectacular terrorist attacks. Research the "group of guys" theory of terrorism.

Then perhaps you'll begin to grasp why it might be beneficial for federal agents to pose as a cell rather than waiting for one of these ****heads to plug into a real one.

I cannot believe I am actually reading a thread where people are expressing dismay that federal agents convinced a budding jihadist to pull a caper they could control with no danger to the rest of us instead of pulling off the real thing and killing a bunch of innocent people.

I suppose Lee Malvo was just a poor misunderstood youth as well, right?

General discussion is a frighteningly silly place these days.