PDA

View Full Version : Gemtech G5-22 any reviews or comments

nikuraba29
11-28-10, 09:35
So as a special event my M&P 15-22 showed on Wednesday as a Happy Thanksgiving present. Now I am looking at a suppressor in .22lr that comes with a QD mount of some form so that I don’t have to take the flash suppressor on and off whenever I want to run suppressed. Came across this on the Gemtech sight and it comes with a YHM phantomesque QD mount/suppressor. Has anybody used this yet or have another manufacturer with a .22lr suppressor that does not thread on the barrel.

TinMan556
12-11-10, 00:05
I like the Tactical innovations cans they are thread on but all maintainable.

Target07
12-12-10, 10:37
I like the Tactical innovations cans they are thread on but all maintainable.

I agree. That is what I am currently running on my Walther P-22 and my Savage bolt action rifle.

To the OP, I don't know what the cost is of the Gem-Tech that you are looking at but the Tactical Innovations .22 suppressors I can get from my dealer for $265 (not including my doc stamp from ATF). So, you end up w/ a suppressor for $465 otd.

Additionally, if you are looking to get a QD suppressor so you can take it on and off for when you want to shoot suppressed or unsuppressed I would urge you to reconsider. From expereince I never shoot any of my .22's w/o a suppressor. I ask you, why would you want to ever shoot it w/o a suppressor (unless traveling out of state to another that restricts the use of suppressors or a range that restricts the use of the suppressor)? They are made out of light wieght material (aluminum). So, the weight will be negligiable. The OAl added from a .22 suppressor will between 4"-5". If you can live w/ the additional length then I see no reason to shoot w/o one.

For me, the pros of the addition of a suppressor far out weigh it's drawbacks. Once you get one you will use it whether you are shooting standard or high velocity rounds or while shooting sub-sonic rounds.

I also, prefere the thread on suppressors better...less moving parts means less to go wrong, less weight as you don't have to have a special QD muzzle device and possibly less length overall?

Just my $.02. Good luck w/ your decision.