PDA

View Full Version : .22lr upper for training/plinking

J-Dub
11-28-10, 10:12
Anyone running a dedicated .22lr upper to train and plink? I'm really thinking about a CMMG upper for such purposes. While i wont get rid of my BCM i think that increased time behind the trigger would be beneficial.

Anyone think a .22 upper is a waste of money/time?

HeavyDuty
11-28-10, 10:43
Not at all. I have a complete dedicated .22LR carbine that gets more range time than any of my other ARs - it's simple economics.

jasonhgross
11-28-10, 11:07
The main downside is you need to replicate the same optics, vfg, buis, ect to make the complete 22 upper effective for training. Even though you don't get the same level of accuracy with the 22lr conversion kits, I like them allot bettr since they dont induce the need for the aforementioned high cost accessory items. If the 22 upper's mission statement is to save you money while increasing your training (given a specific economic limitation) then I would look hard at a 22 conversion before going for a complete upper.

shadow65
11-28-10, 11:14
Dedicated .22 upper will definetly give you better accuracy.
My CMMG M4 LE .22 upper will shoot .807 at 50 yards with a 4 x scope.
But for training, I believe a conversion will fill the bill. I get 1" with bulk ammo at 25 yards.
Most of our training (when I was training) was 50 yards and under. Accuracy with the .22 conversion is adequate for that. POI will change a little but I never re-adjusted my sights from the 5.56.
And the trigger time you get while running .22 definetly helps.
I always suggest going with the stainless. It seems to run better out of the box. Runs longer between cleanings and is easy to clean after shooting.
CMMG has been the most reliable I've used.
My upper has over 6000 rounds with 3 FTE's.
My conversions have close to 1000 rounds. One with no failures, one with 3 fte's early on using BDM mags. I believe the CMMG's run better with the CMMG kit's.
And now you can get a drop in to have bolt hold open capabilities, and optional forward assist, plus the standard live round extraction.
Dave

J-Dub
11-28-10, 11:25
I would much rather get a complete upper. I'm not a fan of the conversion kits...i guess i've heard to many bad stories about them..

It will probably be a k.i.s.s. type setup. Irons, maybe a cheap primary arms mini red dot. I just have to decide between 20 or 16" barrel. Probably 16" since that is what my middy is...

Suwannee Tim
11-29-10, 15:26
I bought a Spikes Tactical 22 long rifle upper I was pleased with. I subsequently bought a barrel and bolt for my LMT I am very pleased with. I rarely shoot more that a couple hundred rounds of center fire rifle in one day and usually less, cost being a big reason. The 22 is great, I'll shoot 500 without hesitation. The manual of arms is of course a little bit different as the bolt stop will not work correctly. I have and recommend one of these:

Boonie Packer Safety Magazine Well Bolt Block (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=826833)

I had to modify it with a hacksaw and file to make it work.

A magazine loader is also a good accessory.

Black Dog Machine Conversion Magazine Easy Loader AR-15 (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=866140)

7 RING
11-29-10, 21:38
The Tactical Solutions upper is worth every penny you will pay.

gamewarden
11-29-10, 23:47
18" Nordic Components upper is my vote!

The_War_Wagon
11-30-10, 07:35
After much reading and studying on the topic, I'm going the dedicated route myself. Tactical Solutions M4-style upper, mated to a Precision Aero lower is MY route. My order's been on BACKORDER for a while, but I'm assured it's going to ship this week... I HOPE...

I'll write it up once completed!

J-Dub
11-30-10, 08:42
Thats the beauty of the Cmmg upper, i believe the bolt hold open will work.

It just seems like a win-win. I'll get to shoot and train more...

The 6.8 project will have to wait!