PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the Magpul iPhone cases?

rickrock305
11-28-10, 17:01
Whats the word on these? Seems like you can't get them anywhere. Are they coming out with an iPhone 4 version?

Business_Casual
11-28-10, 18:05
[/fanboy]

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 18:11
Capitalist pig trying to exploit the workers of the world?

JK No idea but I think they got "forgetted" by Magpul. I don't think their ability to put products out could compete with what the electronics industry is doing. By the time they got a product to sell the next generation phone would be out for 6 months already.

rickrock305
11-28-10, 18:14
:D

Wifey is getting me the iPhone 4 for Xmas and I'm in the market for a nice case. Any other options? I'm looking for something low profile, not the huge clunky Otterbox type of thing.

Spiffums
11-28-10, 18:27
Sidelined to get the Droid case into production. :sarcastic:

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 18:27
:D

Wifey is getting me the iPhone 4 for Xmas and I'm in the market for a nice case. Any other options? I'm looking for something low profile, not the huge clunky Otterbox type of thing.

I looked around but don't like adding bulk. I tried a couple but they were too flimsy and cheap feeling. I just keep it "naked" now, and try to be careful with it. I can put it in a side pocket, and not even notice its there. At the most maybe a screen protector.

Ive had 2 previous Iphones the 4 is the best by far. I love it....got a real nice solid heavy feel to it.

rickrock305
11-28-10, 18:36
I looked around but don't like adding bulk. I tried a couple but they were too flimsy and cheap feeling. I just keep it "naked" now, and try to be careful with it. I can put it in a side pocket, and not even notice its there. At the most maybe a screen protector.

Ive had 2 previous Iphones the 4 is the best by far. I love it....got a real nice solid heavy feel to it.

Yea, the screen protector is mandatory.

I have the iPhone 3 now and I found a great case for it. Made by Speck and you can hardly even tell its there. But at the end of the day, crap still gets between the case and the phone and it gets all scratched up anyway. Guess I'll just rock it nekkid.

Army Chief
11-28-10, 18:38
Unless you're an industry professional with close ties to the right folks, or otherwise in a position to get one of the limited-run prototypes, the Magpul iPhone case remains something of an unkept promise.

Personally, I just went with something a little different (http://www.karaskustomsonline.com/?p=161).

AC

Ak44
11-28-10, 18:40
I thought the case was a side project for the guys at Magpul. Lucky few bought some at Shot but mass production wasn't really the plan? I'd rather have some other stuff in their catalog that hasn't been released as oppose to this Phone case. Besides....I got a Iphone 4 haha

ForTehNguyen
11-28-10, 18:42
you dont need a screen protector, the new glass they put on phones is very scratch resistant. Shatter resistant is a different story.

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 18:44
you dont need a screen protector, the new glass they put on phones is very scratch resistant. Shatter resistant is a different story.

Mine has a couple small scratches but its been dropped a few times.

I believe its actual glass?

rickrock305
11-28-10, 18:45
Scratch resistant...not scratch proof. Better safe than sorry.

Spooky130
11-28-10, 19:01
I use the Otter Box commuter case - the mid level protection they offer. It doesn't add the bulk that their big one does but still gives me the peace of mind to carry it without worrying too much. It has a rubber sleeve and a hard plastic shell that covers the back and part of the sides. Runs about $20 or $25.

Spooky

subzero
11-28-10, 19:15

Not enough. I scratched mine after 3 months of pocket carry. It gets a screen protector now.

I've tried 3 or 4 cases for my iPhone4 and I've settled on the Incipio NGP I picked up at the AT&T store as a throwaway until I could do some research and find a nice case. The Speck Candyshell that I thought would be great (based on my 3G experience) was a total PITA. The Griffin I got through the free case program was neat but the rubber on the sides was just a touch too thin, allowing rubs marks on the stainless.

I really want an Atomic Hybrid case (well, bumper) but I can't rationalize 90 bucks on a case that doesn't protect the front OR the back of the phone. Same criticism I have of the Apple Bumper.

rickrock305
11-28-10, 19:32
Personally, I just went with something a little different (http://www.karaskustomsonline.com/?p=161).

AC

I couldn't imagine walking around with that in my pocket :D

SeriousStudent
11-28-10, 19:36
John's been busy. :D

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=ip4case&cat=151&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Rider79
11-28-10, 20:13
Ugh, now I regret selling the one I got from Rich Fitzpatrick even though I don't have the iPhone 3 anymore. :sad:

The Noveske one looks cool, but its just printed on the same iPhone case that you could get free in the case program. I have it and its pretty flimsy. The case doesn't come over the lip of the front of the phone to protect it if you drop it on its face. I have an ifrogz case that I like. Its 2 piece and it snaps over the back of the phone, and it protects the front edge of the phone. It was $30 at the ATT store. I have had problems with it breaking at the bottom edge where its a thin piece of plastic between the bottom of the face of the phone and the opening to plug the USB cable in. Returned it twice and ATT has given a replacement with no problem. I looked into a beefier case while I was there but the plug for my Pioneer Nav wouldn't fit into the opening on the bottom.

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 20:21
That is why I don't use a case. The slim ones are weak and flimsy. The ones that actually do a good job end up turning a 1/4" thick phone into a tank.

I usually upgrade after 13-15 months so I can get by a little over a year without major protection. Just keep the phone out of pockets with keys and the like in them. Ive used mine bare since when they came out, and a couple little scratches from a 3-4ft drop onto concrete. Other than that its held up perfect. I buy pants specifically with a pocket that I can put the phone into by itself.

Alric
11-29-10, 00:32
I've been using mine with the freebie Griffin case since I got it. No screen protector and no scratches yet. I wouldn't say I 'use it hard' or anything, but I don't baby the thing.

DaBears_85
11-29-10, 01:05
I usually get my cases online from case-mate (http://www.case-mate.com/). They've got a pretty decent selection of cases for most of the popular smart phones. Looks like they've got a 'black-friday' type sale going on Monday as well, 25% off.

I buy pants specifically with a pocket that I can put the phone into by itself.

Diddo.

Mac5.56
11-29-10, 07:21
I didn't see this posted but I have seen this case on a few phones owned by very active, and rough people:

http://www.otterbox.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-otterbox_us-Site?cid=GOOTT10&gclid=CKaYxcCOxqUCFQJN4Aod4VqXYQ

It's an Otter Case. I saw one guy who wanted to prove it's strength at my bar drop it five feet onto concrete and it still functioned fine. It also kind of looks like what I remember the Magpul prototype looking like.

As I said I don't own one, but it may be a good place to start looking.

Bobert0989
01-01-11, 04:23
...I usually upgrade after 13-15 months so I can get by a little over a year without major protection...

Be careful... that kind of thinking got me married with a kid... ;)

I was wondering what was going on with the iPhone cases, but am now wanting to upgrade to a Droid X.

~Bobby