PDA

View Full Version : buffer spring length

fivefivesix
11-28-10, 19:00
my 4 carbine, is there a difference in springs for millspec tubes and commercial tubes. also i measured my buffer spring and a friends buffer springand they are both new and mine was longer. do the springs vary that much.

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 19:02
No they should be the same. Replace if below 10 1/8th" to 10 1/4".

New should be about 10 3/4 to 11".

fivefivesix
11-28-10, 19:33
thanks belmont. my daniel defense would short stoke with steel cased ammo but brass ammo its 100 percent. i found out my buffer spring was almost 11 inches. i tried my buddies buffer spring and it cycled with the low pressure steel ammo. his was 10 3/8 and his buffer weights moved more freeley than mine. my spring was more ressiliant to compress than his.

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 19:52
What weight buffer are you using?

fivefivesix
11-28-10, 20:09
It weighed 2.98 oz and it supposed to be a carbine buffer

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 20:14
What brand of spring is it?

I would expect a DD to fire steel case ammo somewhat reliably....at the worst maybe a bolt not locking back occasionally.

I personally use colt springs because I know they are a known value. Just because a spring is 11" doesn't mean it has the same "force" as another make and model of spring which is also 11".

Robb Jensen
11-28-10, 20:39
Buy a new Brownells chrome silicon standard rate carbine buffer spring. They are 10.5" long when new and last a long time.

fivefivesix
11-28-10, 20:53
its a ds arms or a delton. i assembled my rifle with all daniel defense parts except the buffer tube and and spring. man im an idiot. it was hard to beleive than just a spring can make such a friggin difference, thanks belmont and got m4

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 21:04
its a ds arms or a delton. i assembled my rifle with all daniel defense parts except the buffer tube and and spring. man im an idiot. it was hard to beleive than just a spring can make such a friggin difference, thanks belmont and got m4

Yeah springs can make a big difference. They are not all the same.

Some guys like the CS springs. Ive not had good luck with the two Ive tried so ive stuck with Colt but its worth a shot I guess. I have a ton of regular Colt springs so when I go through them Ill try the sprinco standard power and a couple others. I tried the red (extra power) sprinco and had way more recoil. I took it out after less than 3 mags.

I should add using the Colt springs ive not had a single failure in my AR's in at least the last 10k rounds Ive fired. Over 10k in just my SR15 actually. So Im hesitant to change to CS springs based on my last two experiences. Mentioned the red sprinco, and the one I had before that was sold through Magpul at one point. I keep meaning to try the sprinco regular power (they are like 20 mins from me) but havent yet.

fivefivesix
11-28-10, 21:06
im searching brownells now and cant find the spring suggested. where do you get your colt springs from

Belmont31R
11-28-10, 21:13
im searching brownells now and cant find the spring suggested. where do you get your colt springs from

search colt, and then once that search is done hit rifle parts on the left. They sell tons of colt parts which I recommend for replacements when needed. like I said colt is good as a standard variable when it comes to parts.

Colt action spring: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4875/Product/ACTION_SPRING

Brownells CS: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41438/Product/ACTION_SPRINGS

ALCOAR
11-28-10, 21:15
I currently use a few KAC SR-15, Colt, and BCM springs...all are gtg and the BCM springs are the easiest to find so that would be my suggestion.

Boss Hogg
11-29-10, 06:51
Yeah springs can make a big difference. They are not all the same.

Some guys like the CS springs. Ive not had good luck with the two Ive tried so ive stuck with Colt but its worth a shot I guess. I have a ton of regular Colt springs so when I go through them Ill try the sprinco standard power and a couple others. I tried the red (extra power) sprinco and had way more recoil. I took it out after less than 3 mags.

I had the exact opposite feeling with a Red spring in my carbine- the extra power slows down the bolt carrier is it cycles.

fivefivesix
12-02-10, 17:15
i got a dd sping today tha measured 10.5 in and a bcm that measured 11inches. both were new but the dd spring came from primary arms and the bcm came from bcm. the new spring cured my problem of the rifle not firing steel ammo. it now fires everything i put in it

ALCOAR
12-02-10, 17:25
So which spring cured your ills...BCM or the DD?

fivefivesix
12-02-10, 17:32
ive test fired it with the dd, but was told the bcm would be gtg. ill test fire it tomorrow with the bcm spring and report back.
here is a pic of the 2 new springs
daniel defense spring on the left bcm on the right.
the dd was like black chrome and the bcm had a silver finish. the finish on the bcm looked better.
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz266/mkIII1022/SU1HMDAyMDItMjAxMDEyMDItMTQ1Ni5qcGc.jpg

Robb Jensen
12-02-10, 17:33
ive test fired it with the dd, but was told the bcm would be gtg. ill test fire it tomorrow with the bcm spring and report back.
here is a pic of the 2 new springs
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz266/mkIII1022/SU1HMDAyMDItMjAxMDEyMDItMTQ1Ni5qcGc.jpg

Both will work fine. Spec for CARbine springs is 10-1/16" to 11-1/4"

fivefivesix
12-02-10, 17:36
Both will work fine. Spec for CARbine springs is 10-1/16" to 11-1/4"

i was a little worried to be honest as the bcm spring is longer. but you pros have proved to me over and over that looks mean nothing, just the quality. i cant beleive how much of a difference a spring makes

Iraqgunz
12-03-10, 00:12
Carbine srping lengths should be between 10 1/16 up to 11 1/4 inches. I have received hundreds of springs at once and when measuring would find a wide variety of sizes. But, they all fell within acceptable guidelines.

thanks belmont. my daniel defense would short stoke with steel cased ammo but brass ammo its 100 percent. i found out my buffer spring was almost 11 inches. i tried my buddies buffer spring and it cycled with the low pressure steel ammo. his was 10 3/8 and his buffer weights moved more freeley than mine. my spring was more ressiliant to compress than his.