PDA

View Full Version : Endomorph Cardio vs Weights Question

D.S. Brown
11-28-10, 20:11
I am largely, no pun intended, an endo, presently 225lbs on a 5' 7.5" large framed body.

-I gain weight naturally, when I eat poorly it comes on faster.

-I seem to "always" have a gut, though when I'm in shape it is much smaller. One of my drill sergeants last words to me was, "damn Brown you still have a gut." This was after 13 weeks of Basic/AIT and going from 194lbs to 170lbs. It was also 24 years ago.

-I seem to be able to put on muscle relatively easy, I don't think that this is an endo trait.

My question, what is a good ratio of weight lifting vs cardio for me? I've tried routines where I just lift light to medium weight at higher reps, but the only way I see reduction in weight and inches around my waist is when I combine this with a low caloric intake of 1500 - 1600 calories. I'm certainly not building muscle, but I do worry that I am compromising my bodies metabolic ability to burn calories. What I'd like to do is eat 2000 calories/day of quality food, and combine it with an effective regimen to have the same types of fat/inches loss, and maintain about 180lbs.

Not averse to cardio, but my running days are way behind me. I'm flat footed, and my knees are toasted.

So once again any suggestions on the ratio of cardio to weight lifting, in conjunction with my caloric goals would be super appreciated. Thanks.

Best,

Dave

300WM
11-28-10, 22:21
I ran when I played football in high school (79,80,81) and when I trained with the k9 unit for the Fl. Dept. of Corrections in my county (85 to 89. Was also the weight lifting coodinator for their C.E.R.T.). That is about the extent of my running. After graduating high school, I trained with Rick Poston in hopes of entering my first teenage Mr. Florida in 82 (started lifting in 76-7th gr). The love of motorcycle racing kept me from reaching this goal, but that fad faded; the weight lifting still indures to this day (and shooting guns, of course). My heart rate is 48 to 50 bpm at rest and normal blood pressure. I am 5'11" and weight 195lbs with 33" waist. I do not run, and haven't in years. I only say all this because I believe you can be very fit and not run. And in our years, it IS hard on the knees. Plus, I want you to know I have some fitness experience.

I will tell you that what you are asking is a hard thing to do, but it can be done. 180lbs at your height would give you a good build, if you gain some muscle. Just from memory, your BMI should be around 160 to 165lbs. I would suggest a physical from a DDO or MD before starting if you have not been training, lately. After that, get the book "Body For Life" by Bill Phillips. In my opinion, it is the best instructional for what you want to do. I have used information from this book many times to help people get into shape. I could bore you for hours on my theories and routines, but I would get carpel tunnel. About two years ago, I trained with a friend of mine (28yrs old) so he could go into the Navy. 205lbs when he started, with a heavy gut, and 175lbs with 32" waist when he shipped out 6 mos. later. This book helped him, a lot. One of my daughters said how "buff" he had become. He is now a pirate fighter on board the USS McFaul.

You can lose weight and gain muscle up into your seventies. Your desire to do so will determine how far you go. Get the book, it will help you.

300WM
11-28-10, 22:59
Something else if you want to research it. Google "Muscle Media" magazine. On their site, you can punch in an older mag and call toll free to see if they still have a copy for sale. The one you want is the May 2003 edition. This mag covers everything you want to do, plus it has many recipes. There is also a mag trading post that may have this edition as well. These are not body building books, they are body changing books.

onado2000
12-03-10, 18:24
Endomorph here, and I found one way for me to stop gaining weight is to not eat at night or before bed, and no etoh. 5-6 meals (2000Kcal) /day works for me, last meal at dinner time. Good luck