PDA

View Full Version : Any Thoughts on the Ruger Mini 30?

TXLowflyer
11-28-10, 21:11
Thinking about using as my "trunk" gun.

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=RUG-5806

96 SS
11-28-10, 22:13
$600 says get an AK

GNXII
11-28-10, 22:35
After having owned a Mini-30 and having a ton of issues with it, I second the AK purchase. The -30 had feeding issues(only factory mags wewre used!), poor accuracy(US made 7.62x39 Rem and Fed) etc. I gave up on it and traded for a Post ban Bushy AR and a few bucks. For 7.62x39 stick with an AK... and a dozen mags, Ultimak/H-1/T-1 and few cases of ammo...done. Good luck

ThirdWatcher
11-29-10, 01:03
Take it from me, DON'T buy an AK... I did and I got bit by the bug and now I have four of them in varying configurations. :D

davidz71
11-29-10, 20:36
If you had the slightest inkling of what Ruger replacement parts cost vs. replacement parts for the AR, which are abundant, you would pick the AR.

lloydkristmas
12-01-10, 00:37
The Mini-14 and Mini-30 are almost universally disliked by "serious" gunfighters.

There are too many reasons to list right now, but poor accuracy, poor magazine quality, and questionable reliability are at the top of that list.

For the cost of the Ruger, get an AK, like the other guys said. Even if its a WASR or something cheap, you'll at least have a more battle proven design to work with.

GNXII
12-01-10, 12:33
If you had the slightest inkling of what Ruger replacement parts cost vs. replacement parts for the AR, which are abundant, you would pick the AR.

Thats another issue against the Mini-14/30...I just don't get Ruger on replacement parts availiabilty and there cost. I dont think this a Mini issue I've heard others with Ruger issues had to return whole firearms rather than Ruger shipping out a replacement part...maybe a liability issue???

davidz71
12-01-10, 22:50
We are a State agency and a number of us are Ruger certified armorers to keep over 50 rifles in the armory running. Sometimes they balk at selling us firing pins but we have to remind them that we are armorers and have the correct tool for measuring proper firing pin length. Some times it just takes awhile for the parts to get here and they are not cheap as compared to the AR.

El Gato
12-01-10, 23:26
using the mini 14 and the 30 for years in our school....

both have their attributes...

the 30 can be picky about the ammo...the wolf military classic won't alway light in my 30...even with the wolf hammer spring...
however... it will keep wolf ammo on my action target pt torso out to 200 meters no problem... and if I have to shoot someone on the street at that range...hmm... I sense the grand jury being unhappy...but perhaps I'm wrong...

now... have a saiga.. unconverted except magazine and it has never failed to light... but alot harder to shoot well...esp at 200 meters plus..

so the mini is easier to shoot at longer ranges for most clients the AK is crazy reliable and the mags...well... I can buy 3 ak mags for one ruger...

the ruger is easier to put a glass on...and I know about rails... the mini just bolts on if the rings are squared up...

buy it if you like it...

Alaskapopo
12-02-10, 22:45
Skip the Mini 30 get an Ak. A friend of mine had one and while it was reliable with the stock 5 round mag, finding high cap mags that worked was almost impossible. Accuracy was terrible.
Pat

TXLowflyer
12-03-10, 05:52
I think i will be going with a good AK Hopefully I can find one for $600 to $700