PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered a new AKM-47

Bison
08-08-07, 18:09
Well, I did it. I just ordered a Lancaster Consulting AKM-47. I look forward to receiving it and posting a report in about a week.

I know some folks have posted negative feedback about Lancaster, instead preferring Vectors or Arsenals, but I think they are the best bang for the buck around right now in a quality AK that will just be used for plinking and fun. HD, etc., are left to the AR and 1911. Also, let me just pass along that I e-mailed a few questions about the AK and the process for ordering one directly from Lancaster and was very pleased with their response. Not just an e-mail, but an actual real person picked up the phone and called me to answer any questions I had. I talked with this fellow for a while. I have never had customer service or customer relations like Lancaster has provided so far and I don't even have the rifle yet! Very well done Lancaster!

If you're not familiar, take a look here:

http://www.lancasterarms.com/

By the way, I have no stock or shares or financial interests in this company (other than keeping them in business if I ever need to use the lifetime "no bs warranty", I'm just passing along my experience.

TOrrock
08-08-07, 18:15
Looking forward to a report once you get it in your hands! :cool:

Bison
08-09-07, 00:53
Trust me, I'm looking forward to heading to the range with it. I'll let ya'll know as soon as I can!

Bison
09-04-07, 21:01
Well, she finally came in. My one complaint with Lancaster is that it took them almost two weeks to ship a rifle that I was told was in stock. Other than that, I'm tickled pink.

On to the rifle, an AKM-47 with a gloss russian red finish, and man oh man, she is a beaut! I won't be able to get back to the range for about a week, but I can't wait to shoot her. I'll let you know how it goes!

Bulldog1967
09-04-07, 22:03
Worthless w/o pix! ;)

Bison
09-05-07, 10:57
Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm working on it! :-)

Lumpy196
09-05-07, 11:30
Having visited Lancaster's shop, I believe you'll be happy with the final product.

Bison
09-05-07, 21:48
Having visited Lancaster's shop, I believe you'll be happy with the final product.

So far, I'm very impressed. The fit and finish is pretty nice for an AK. Much nicer than the AKs I've seen at any gun shows and I'm not just talking about the Century WASRs, either -- coated metal parts, polished bolt carrier, glossy (I know, real AKs aren't glossy, but it does look good) russian red finish that looks great and it all seem to fit together well.

I tried to take some pics to share but my only digital camera is my wife's point and shoot and I wasn't really having much luck showing the detail of this rifle. I'll work on it some more and maybe post some later on.

I can't wait to get to the range with it!

SuicideHz
09-05-07, 23:31
Those mother@$%#&s are using a pic of MY Polish PMKMS on their front page!!!

It was a picture I had watermarked too. They just chose to crop it.

Their version:

http://www.lancasterarms.com/Lancaster%2520Rolling%2520Image.jpg

My version:

http://www1.zoto.com/suicidehz/img/690x690x2/7a67d28e0b0c70681dfbca11443bd162.jpg

Edited to remove profanity.

Lumpy196
09-06-07, 10:32
Those mother****ers are using a pic of MY Polish PMKMS on their front page!!!

Did they build it?

Bison
09-06-07, 10:35
Those mother****ers are using a pic of MY Polish PMKMS on their front page!!!

It was a picture I had watermarked too. They just chose to crop it.

Their version:

http://www.lancasterarms.com/Lancaster%2520Rolling%2520Image.jpg

My version:

http://www1.zoto.com/suicidehz/img/690x690x2/7a67d28e0b0c70681dfbca11443bd162.jpg

If that is a copyrighted image of yours, then you are entitled to compensation for its use. Any work you create is automatically copyrighted. That said, enforcing a copyright is much easier if you have a registered copyright. If you don't, things get harder to enforce.

There are plenty of photographer forums that have plenty of info. on protecting work on the internet. Take a look.

SuicideHz
09-06-07, 18:13
No, they didn't build it duh... :p

A nicely toned email to the site got me a response from the President/CEO. He gave me his name and phone number and I called him at lunch today.

He asked which picture. I had already told him in an email that he read. He played stupid for 1 minute exactly then broke down. He then directed the blame at a "friend" and said his friend was in charge of getting a banner together.

He said he'd have it removed. I told him I was mostly mad because someone with pretty damn good photoshop skills went and did what they did when obviously they should have known better. I wanted to see how he felt about the watermark and what the guy had done.

He told me if I didn't want it removed he'd be happy to credit me for the picture.

I guess I'll go that route.

That is what happens when you build nice AKs and take nice pictures...

Thanks for letting me rant.

Bison
09-07-07, 11:02
They seem to be reasonable folks. I have had a pretty good experience talking to them on the phone. The only complaint I had was the delay in shipping my in stock rifle. But, all told, that is a pretty minor complaint. We'll see how she shoots tomorrow at the range. Anyway, glad you worked it out.

SuicideHz
09-07-07, 18:01
The fact that they did it the way they did is the worst part.

ETA: I'm changing my mind. I'm going to call Monday and demand payment for the use and ask that it be taken down immediately. He didn't feel one bit guilty about having his friend photoshop the hell out if it.

Trim2L
09-10-07, 17:46
The fact that they did it the way they did is the worst part.

ETA: I'm changing my mind. I'm going to call Monday and demand payment for the use and ask that it be taken down immediately. He didn't feel one bit guilty about having his friend photoshop the hell out if it.

Who ever used the photo doesn't have the skills you give them credit for. They used Microsoft Frontpage to create the HTML which is why their site runs so slow. No self respecting HTML writer would use such a half-assed program. That page is full of bugs.

If they commit to using pictures of other builder's rifles what exactly are you buying? I must say, every builder I know would never use the pictures of someone else's rifle, its bad business.

SuicideHz
09-10-07, 19:34
Well I told him I wanted compensation and that my friend who is a patent lawyer gave me a little advice on copyrights.

I told Chet I also wanted it removed ASAP.

Maybe I can get a Tantel (they spelled it wrong) with a "custom red American wood stock" as payment...

Trim2L
09-11-07, 15:03
They pulled the picture.

Jay Cunningham
09-11-07, 15:06
I've seen this thread on several different forums now.

Maybe it's time to just move on.

SuicideHz
09-11-07, 20:13
Thekatar-

You've seen it on ARF- a friend posted a question about it there.

I posted on AKforum and they banned me. That asswipe StreetTrends is such a whiny little F%#&.

I don't know why they banned me. They locked the thread and I IM'd him to tell him I didn't understand why. I replied to his reply and now I can't log in today.

What a bunch of Nazi hillbillies. Not all of them, but it seems enough.

There's also some dude on ARF named squeky saying he thinks they may have been more interested in getting the page up and running and overlooked the copyright thing. That doesn't make it right. I have a feeling he's involved pretty deep in ak forums or lancaster. Sounds like their MS Frontpage guy...

TOrrock
09-11-07, 22:14
Since the original poster's thread has now been completely stomped on, I'm locking this down.