PDA

View Full Version : Spotting scopes.

Hawkeye
06-07-06, 21:04
What are some reccomendations for a good spotting scope?

Boom
06-07-06, 21:50
I'm interested to.

M4arc
06-08-06, 04:20
LOL - Dinger and I were talking about this very same thing last weekend at the range and both of us are clueless when it comes to spotting scopes.

So we need help as well :o

Griz
06-08-06, 08:22
The right spotting scope for you depends on your application.

-If you just want to see .22 holes in paper at 100 yards, pretty much anything will do.

-If you want to look for game in the hills, you don't need great glass, but something light and compact is helpful

-If you're trying to see .22 holes in paper beyond ~200 yards you need high quality glass.

I started with an el-cheapo Simmons then ditched that for a Bushnell Spacemaster. The Spacemaster's resolution made the Simmon look like a child's toy.

The Spacemaster was very good for the price, but beyond 300 yards, it just didn't have the resolution needed. A buddy brought a Kowa 81 mm scope to my range and it was like night and day compared to my Spacemaster. I sold my Spacemaster the next week and am saving up for a Kowa.

Boom
06-08-06, 12:11
Griz what would be a good scope for 22 holes at 400 yards? Thats the longest I would need to see clearly. My budget would be around $300.00

Griz
06-08-06, 16:36
Griz what would be a good scope for 22 holes at 400 yards? Thats the longest I would need to see clearly. My budget would be around $300.00

First off, I'm no expert, I've just made the mistake of buying a cheap spotting scope and then regretting it (twice). That said, I don't think you're going to find anything that will do what you want for $300. The Bushnell Spacemaster I had is one of the best scopes you can get for under $300 and it was not up to the task.

My range is 450 yards, and in the morning or afternoon when the mirage is not bad, my buddy's 81mm Kowa can resolve .22 holes. If the sun is beating down, I doubt even the Hubble telescope would be able to penetrate the heat waves (this range is in SC).

Hawkeye
06-08-06, 17:49
I need one for .308 holes out to 400-600 yards...

Boom
06-09-06, 11:00
First off, I'm no expert, I've just made the mistake of buying a cheap spotting scope and then regretting it (twice). That said, I don't think you're going to find anything that will do what you want for $300. The Bushnell Spacemaster I had is one of the best scopes you can get for under $300 and it was not up to the task.

My range is 450 yards, and in the morning or afternoon when the mirage is not bad, my buddy's 81mm Kowa can resolve .22 holes. If the sun is beating down, I doubt even the Hubble telescope would be able to penetrate the heat waves (this range is in SC).

Thats what I was afraid of. I guess I need to increase the budget amount.

jmart
06-09-06, 11:20
Kowa's are pretty well respected within competition circles, but by the time you get a good eyepiece and tripod, you are talking some $$$. Maybe best bet is to look on various competiton boards for used stuff.

knobcreek
06-09-06, 12:15

How about a price range? I don't want to hijack your question, but I'm also in the market for a good spotting scope with sound function ou to 400-500 yards. I just don't want to HAVE to spend $1500-$2000 for a Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica.

knobcreek
06-09-06, 12:16
Thats what I was afraid of. I guess I need to increase the budget amount.

Crap...me, too.

jmart
06-12-06, 15:34
No hands on experience with the following but it does sound intriguing. Saw the recommendation over at nationalmatch.us which is a pretty decent competition board. Those guys know optics and stands and the such. Anyway, check it out. The price is much nicer than Kowa's.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

Am also seeing they offer and angled eyepiece model, 20-60X - 80mm objective. Under $200. They are made in Italy. I've never heard of them before posting this link.

Harv
06-12-06, 22:03
You would never go wrong with Kowa. Walk the line at any CMP shoot and the majority of shooters are running them. I have an Older TSN-1 77MM that has served me well for years. never regretted the price, you know the old "Buy once" adage.

Only downside is they are not built for heavy field use, but for range type work, so know what you want to do with it. I don't know a lot of scoped that will let you see .30cal holes at 300 yds. with a 40x eyepeice the mirage is pretty wicked on a mild day. Most shooters run a 25x-27- LER (Long eye relief) eyepiece which I recommend if you wear glasses (and even if you don't)

High power needs are a bit different cause you can get by with lower power to see the spotting disc and scoring disc on the target out to 600yds.

Razoreye
06-12-06, 22:47
ROFL - I was just looking this up a little over a week ago. Haven't decided on anything other than I'm going to have to drop some dough on the piece of glass I want.

bigbore
06-12-06, 22:56
I have a Kowa 663 w/25 LER eye piece. with the right lighting and a fresh center, I can see the .22 holes at 300yds.

I have about $1K in the scope and stand, but If I add up all the spotting scopes I bought because I thought they would work, I'd probably afford 2 Kowas:mad:

STeed
06-14-06, 10:27
I use the Nikon Sky and Earth 20x60 80mm. Then again I rarely shoot past 100 yards. If I do I use the stick on shoot ‘n see targets. I can see them in the spotting scope out to 200 yards without any problems. Here is a link to the scope at a great price:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=199930&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

teltec01
06-15-06, 23:04

Depending on your budget, I can recommend the Kowa brand. I just purchased a Kowa TSN 660 and the optic quality is fantastic. A very expensive scope but well worth the cost.

brasidas
06-22-06, 09:07
double tap

brasidas
06-22-06, 09:08
After looking through quite a few scopes, I concluded that Zeiss and Swarovski were worth the money and that with anything else I would just end up buying twice. The superiority of the optics was as plain as day. Bearbasin.com has good package deals.

I use my scope for hunting too, so my requirements may be a bit different than what is needed strictly for target shooting.

Blackdeath13
06-29-06, 01:32
Just recently bought a Leupold 15x45 wind river for $300.00. I'm very happy with it.

Comes with a rubber armoured body, a nice hard case, and fully adj. tri-pod.
The optics are very good, more than satisfactory for my 100yd range and Fall hunting.

It's no Zeiss but, hey for the money.

sparrow
06-29-06, 02:08
I've been using a Leupold Gold Ring 25x50mm fixed spotter and the Gold Ring 12-40x60mm for Service Conditions and general use, I like the generous eye relief and the NO BS warranty though I have yet to send either in for warranty work, the 25x gets the most use as it is very compact, both are used with a OD Ewing Socom stand and Bogen Manfrotto (sp??) adapter. I love the optics on some of the higher end makes but for me the point of diminishing returns are reached with the Leuppy spotters. As always YMMV.

vogonpoet
08-08-06, 21:08
I recently bought one of these (http://www.leupold.com/products/birding_observation/WR_Sequoia.htm).

The Leupold green ring scopes (Sequoia/Wind River) scopes are made in Korea, they are not up to the standards of the gold ring scopes which are made in the US, but the latest version of the Sequoia (the one in the URL, that I have) are better than the older version. I think Leupold learned their lesson there.

So far, I am quite satisfied with mine.

MudBug
08-08-06, 22:40
I bought a couple Celestron Ultimas, The 80mm for longer range, and a 65mm for field use and shorter distances.

Both are great for the money, and are waterproof with a life time "No Fault" warranty. (hopefully I won't have to find out how true that is)

I bought them based on good reviews at Snipers Paradise, and so far I've been very happy with them.

I will note that the 80mm is huge.

65mm (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=320299&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation) 80mm (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=320301&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation)

blackwind
08-19-06, 13:44
My favorite for over a year is the Yukon 6x. I picked it up at a local gun show for 275.00 and have really enjoyed it. It came with a Bipod and all weather cover and digital camera adapter. Best spotting scope I've ever owned. I felt at the time it was a bit expensive, not anymore. :D

http://www.telescopes.com/products/yukon-6-100x100-angled-eyepiece-tripod-kit-25658.html

M193 BALL
08-25-06, 21:39
I bought a CHEAPY WALMART for under 100 bucks
its a WINCHESTER spot scope @ 100 yards you can see the 5.56 holes in The black

persona non grata
08-27-06, 23:23
+1 for KOWA. A man on a budget can ill afford cheap tools.

I have several Leupold rifle scopes, but their spotters are not even in the same class as KOWA, and not much cheaper either.

http://www.kowascope.com/frontend/default.asp

http://spottingscopes.com/brands/kowa.html

"THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN."