PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendation for a Variable

blackscot
11-29-10, 08:01
I tried plowing through Grant's sticky -- but man, there's a lot of stuff in there -- so at the risk of duplication I thought a separate post might help cut through the many choices.

Here are some parameters:
- intended range CQB to 200 yards
- 1-4 power
- prefer battery powered over tritium
- minimum size and weight
- cost range $200-$800
- useable under daylight and low light from flashlight on gun, but NV-compatibility not required

Any steers greatly welcomed.

kwelz
11-29-10, 08:58
Any reason you prefer battery powered over Tritium?

I am not saying this is a bad thing, I am just curious as to your reasoning.

IrishDevil
11-29-10, 09:17
You only have 2 choices of what I know to be daylight visible optics, in that price range.

1: Trijicon TR24, but you said no tritium

2: Meopta K-Dot, the new version is a bit shorter than the previous

SHIVAN
11-29-10, 09:33
A second, long post. Might help, might not.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4209

blackscot
11-29-10, 09:48
Any reason you prefer battery powered over Tritium?

I am not saying this is a bad thing, I am just curious as to your reasoning.

I don't want to have to replace the unit once the tritium starts to fade.

IrishDevil
11-29-10, 10:22
You're probably more likely to have the electronic illumination fail before the tritium would fade.

blackscot
11-29-10, 11:06
You're probably more likely to have the electronic illumination fail before the tritium would fade.

Fail (a) from a depleted battery (which can be replaced), or (b) because electronic illumination is undependable?

IrishDevil
11-29-10, 11:18
(b) But I wouldn't say unreliable, just that I imagine between the electronics and switching, it would be more fragile than tritium.

That said, I've been beating on my Meopta K-Dot for 2 years now and haven't had the first problem. It's been knocked and banged around, used in the rain, and at temperatures from 20-103 degrees. I'm very happy with it, and may pick up the newer version also.

LOKNLOD
11-29-10, 11:24
Note too that the tritium is not a factor in daylight, the fiber optic is doing all the work.

Your last ponit, washout in low light with whitelights is probably the biggest drawback to the fiber/tritium setup in my opinion. It's not unusable but not as good as an Aimpoint type dot either, at least to my eyes. I've heard/seen in pics that the green reticle looks better in low light than the red (which is what I have) but that's not firsthand experience.

Utah1
11-30-10, 10:37
You only have 2 choices of what I know to be daylight visible optics, in that price range.

There will be two new ones on the market fairly soon from Super Sniper and they sure look day light visible to me. Check out these photos comparing them to the short dot and NF. They show 1X and 4X illuminated and off in both day light, dark and artificial light. When comparing them keep in mind which you would prefer if the battery died. From the requirement given by the original poster of 100-200 yards I assume that he requires percision at 200 yards. The photos are from the SWFA website. http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-14x-ss_topic22981_page16.html

blackscot
11-30-10, 11:20
There will be two new ones on the market fairly soon from Super Sniper........

Wow, what a fantastic post!

With regard to the ring version of the SS, I agree with the one reply: "ME WANT!".

jwfuhrman
11-30-10, 11:41
Burris XTR 1-4. Been running one for 3gun all year long... and Im not very nice to my 3gun rifle. Its been dropped, tossed and all sorts of stuff during matches and it holds zero very well. Especially with a LaRue 1.5 mount.

Utah1
11-30-10, 11:54
Wow, what a fantastic post!

With regard to the ring version of the SS, I agree with the one reply: "ME WANT!".

You and me and hundreds of other guys. I think availability is getting close but they won't give a date. The photos are of prototypes. These are the final reticules and if you scroll back on the post in the link you will find earlier one being considered. I think they made the right choice. Final models will be available with both reticules and with both exposed and covered knobs. The illumination adjustment will have an off position between each setting. The glass is high quality like they use in the new 10X HD modles and it is a true 1X. The scope is FFP with mil/mil. Price will be in the neighborhood of $800.00.

IrishDevil
11-30-10, 12:14
I've been following the Super Sniper, but didn't mention it as it isn't out yet. I really like the circle reticle also, they look like they'll be good to go, but only time will tell.

shootist~
11-30-10, 13:40
I'm still waiting (and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...:sad: ) for the Vortex PST 1-4. Maybe in a month or three it will finally be out.

kmrtnsn
11-30-10, 20:40
Burris XTR 1-4. Been running one for 3gun all year long... and Im not very nice to my 3gun rifle. Its been dropped, tossed and all sorts of stuff during matches and it holds zero very well. Especially with a LaRue 1.5 mount.

Plus one on the XTR-14. I have one and have been very pleased with the performance.

armakraut
11-30-10, 23:26
Nikon Monarch African 1''
German #4

Cheap, good reticle, true 1x.

Otherwise I'd go for a used nightforce 1-4x or wait for the super sniper.

MarshallDodge
11-30-10, 23:31
Just throwing this out there:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=460800

I don't have experience with it but have the 3-9x TAC30 on a Larue 1.5 and am very happy with it so far.

Alaskapopo
12-01-10, 00:06

Damn beat me to it. Both are good scopes. The K-dot has the advantage of having reference marks that you can us for hold overs.
Pat

ccoker
12-01-10, 14:32
what are you going to use it for?

blackscot
12-02-10, 05:45
what are you going to use it for?

(1) civilian home/homeland defense in a rural setting

(2) range practice/training drills on paper targets from 25 to 100 yards, and steel targets at +200 yards

(3) occasional 3-gun competition