PDA

View Full Version : PMAG question

Crow Hunter
11-29-10, 09:40
Don't flame me too bad on this one please.:sad:

Due to my own stupdity I didn't research well before making a purchase and I bought a bunch of Olive Drab PMAGS. My thinking was PMAG = Great, my brother has black PMAGS, I'll get a different color so that we don't get them mixed up at the range...:sad:

After seeing a recent topic on cracked PMAGS, I did some further research and apparently there are some questions about the durability of anything other than Black PMAGS.

Many people who would be in the know, only use black PMAGS for duty/serious work.

Would it be in my best interest to sell/swap out the (48 :sad: that I still have in the package) for black PMAGS since this is supposed to be my "end times" mag stash?

Sorry if this seems like a Barfcom question, but I don't usually do such poor research on purchases and now I am a little concerned.

Thanks

markm
11-29-10, 09:43
I wouldn't worry about it a bit. Shoot them and buy some black ones as you expand your operation.

kwelz
11-29-10, 09:45
I believe you are over thinking things.

The argument can be made that lighter color plastics are less durable sure. But the newer PMAGS seem to hold up just fine regardless of color.

If it is really something that concerns you then by all means find someone to trade with. But I would not worry to much about it.

cj5_dude
11-29-10, 10:01
Don't worry about them cracking. I had two older black mags crack so color doesn't matter. I sent Magpul an email about the two cracked mags and this is what their reply was.

"Nick,

Thank you for contacting us. Broken PMAGs are actually extremely rare with a return rate of only 0.025% (2-3 per 10,000) on average. However, defective ones do pop up now and again."

Magpul then replaced my two cracked mags at their expense. So use them and don't worry about it. They won't give you any problems. And the likelyhood of any of your mags cracking is slim to none, and certainly not all of yours would have problems.

Karcas
11-29-10, 10:02
How about a little of what both these guys said. Sell/trade 25 of them for black. That should ease your mind. Personally, I wouldn't sweat it. The amount of issues I have read about with the lighter color pmags is so small I feel safe in assuming that 1 out of every 10,000+ has an issue. So I'm sure yours will be fine.

arizonaranchman
11-29-10, 10:37
I agree, compared to what we used to have available for AR mags in years past PMags are manna from heaven.

Use them with confidence.

Pariah
11-29-10, 11:45
Hell, even if they crack in the middle of a gunfight, PMAGs will usually still feed rounds. Look up some of the torture tests people have done and still had them work, then use with confidence. I have some FDE PMAGs mixed in with my (mostly) black ones, and I have no concerns.

GermanSynergy
11-29-10, 11:47
I have about 35 of the green pmags, and haven't had any issues. They get almost weekly use at the range, and are dropped alot. If a mag goes tits up, it gets tossed. That said, I did pick up some black pmags this weekend at Virginia arms.

Crow Hunter
11-29-10, 12:05
Thanks guys.

I have the almost black Olive Drab Green ones instead of the very light colored Foliage Green if that makes any difference.

I think I will keep what I have and buy another box of 50 black ones and keep using the OD ones for the range (to keep my brother from swiping them.:laugh:)

I feel a little better now. It will just remind me to do extra research before hand from now on.

Watrdawg
11-29-10, 12:22
I have a bunch of the OD ones also and have had no issues so far. I wouldn't worry too much.

djegators
11-29-10, 13:49
Crow, I think YOU will be able to advise US on PMAGS, since you have already dropped $600+ on them, and are going to drop another $600+!!

But to address your question, why not get some of the aluminum USGI mags while you're at it? BCM has a great sale on these right now.

Crow Hunter
11-29-10, 14:27
Crow, I think YOU will be able to advise US on PMAGS, since you have already dropped $600+ on them, and are going to drop another $600+!!

But to address your question, why not get some of the aluminum USGI mags while you're at it? BCM has a great sale on these right now.

:sarcastic: Hey, go big or go home. :sarcastic:

I have alway used only USGI. I have a bunch of them (probably close to 50 of them actually, come to think of it), mostly NHMTG/OKAY with a smattering of other makers (Adventurline, Cooper, Center, Labelle, etc) here and there, some I have had for 10+ years.

I only just recently decided to go PMAG based on all the glowing reports on their performance that I have read in various AAR's and general comments and a couple of SME's giving me good information. I don't have any "real" experience with the PMAG's yet, I have only tried 2 of them out of a box of 50.

Then I read a couple of things about cracking PMAGs, and start to research further and find out I "should" have bought black ones....

Just my luck, of course....

Iraq Ninja
11-29-10, 14:32
I am still running the beta version of the Pmag overseas with no problems at all. They are tan...

Caeser25
11-29-10, 18:43
Shoot them. Magpul will replace if they break.

Wolf Spyder
11-29-10, 19:02
I texture mine to keep others from trying to pick them up...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/Wolf%20Spyder%20Lightfighter/Img_9706.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/Wolf%20Spyder%20Lightfighter/Img_9705.jpg

Wolf Spyder
11-29-10, 19:13
Of course then I paint them...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/MB5Q3667.jpg

Beat Trash
11-29-10, 19:37
If you are still concerned and can find someone to trade, I'd trade them.

But I would not be so concerned about it as to take a loss on the trade.

I'd only trade if it were an even swap. Otherwise I wouldn't worry that much about it.

ApacheTactical
11-29-10, 19:37
How did you texture your Mags like that