PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite way to cook a steak?

rob_s
11-29-10, 10:08
Let's assume New York strip just to keep things consistent.

I have three of them I'll be grilling tonight and I thought I'd see what kinds of tips and tricks the rest of you use when grilling NYS.

I'm fond of the basics of setting it out, salting with sea salt, and slapping it on raring-hot grates for a couple of minutes on a side with the top open before moving it to the top rack with the lid closed to let the insides come up to desired doneness. I use a Weber three-burner propane grill and I heat the whole thing up with all three raging until the temp gauge is pegged, then run a couple of minutes on a side before turning off the back burner (on the Weber they run side-to-side) and moving them up to the warming rack for indirect cooking.

I also do blackened steaks with Chef Paul's blackened magic, but that's another topic I think.

Honu
11-29-10, 10:28
I like Ribeye :) but any steak I actually like Montreal Steak Seasoning as the base before grill and A-1 and or sometimes chutney
teriyaki is a fav but its not for steaks :)

that said my BBQ is gas but more setup for lid open cooking some call it Australian style where the lid is up the fire is closer

hot grill throw it on flip it then flip it again %90 to get nice marks and repeat then take off wrap in foil for a few minutes to let it cook up a bit more
rare or med rare poke test of thumb pad on hand relaxed hand is rare outstretched thumb means well done

I am pretty good but wish I was better at grilling :)

I guess it depends on how you like steaks done ? rare or med rare ?

thopkins22
11-29-10, 10:29
Good choice with the NYS. But that sounds like entirely too much work for a good steak.

1)Get grill pretty damn hot.
2)Salt with a course sea salt.
3)2-3 minutes a side. Don't worry about thermometers, and sure as hell DO NOT cut into it to "check." It will continue to cook a little bit as you take it off and it sits.
4)Eat a perfect medium rare steak.

If you're into cooking the hell out of your meat then ignore my advice.

mr_smiles
11-29-10, 10:31
Bring it to room temperature, light salt and pepper. Preheat the grill as high as it'll go. Throw steak on grill, once it's nicely seared on one side flip over and sear opposite side, remove from grill, let rest for 5-10 minutes depending on size, consume.

Scoby
11-29-10, 10:39
Sounds good to me.

I like to lightly dry rub both sides of mine with Canadian Steak Seasoning, heat the grill to 400 deg, sear both sides, 3-4 min. tops, turn grill down low and lightly cover with Dales Seasoning Sauce and close the lid for 10-12 mins or just long enough to drink one more beer.

They come out medium to medium rare. This is for a 3/4" thick steak.

I'm hungry now.

Scoby

Palmguy
11-29-10, 10:42
Remove from fridge prior to cooking, get my lowly grill as hot as it'll go, dust steak with either Everglades, Dillo Dust or Sea Salt, on grill, flip, remove, eat.

I think I'll have steak tonight.

thopkins22
11-29-10, 10:48
I tend to think some folks have a distorted vision of what medium rare actually is. There's no way in hell you can put something on a 400 degree grill for upwards of 16 minutes(turned down later or not,) and have it leave medium rare.

http://www.weber.com/grillout/RecipeDetails.aspx?key=595&cid=2

Weber says: 450-550 degrees...2 minutes/Flip/2 minutes/Flip/2-4 minutes.

Scoby
11-29-10, 11:14
I tend to think some folks have a distorted vision of what medium rare actually is. There's no way in hell you can put something on a 400 degree grill for upwards of 16 minutes(turned down later or not,) and have it leave medium rare.

http://www.weber.com/grillout/RecipeDetails.aspx?key=595&cid=2

Weber says: 450-550 degrees...2 minutes/Flip/2 minutes/Flip/2-4 minutes.

Well you're welcome to come to the house and I'll show you.
Maybe my grill thermometer is wrong.
Hell I don't know or care.
I like my steaks med to med rare and this is the way I do it. :rolleyes:

Scoby

Gutshot John
11-29-10, 11:20
Since grills all vary and then you factor in different cuts of thickness I find this method works pretty well.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/

If I'm cooking filet (generally 2.5-3" thick), I'll generally preheat the oven to about 350. Sear the meat on a grill (2 minutes a side, including round sides) and then put in a pan to finish in the oven for about 5-10 minutes (depending on desired doneness).

If you're going to do it the whole time on the grill, I try to use one half of the grill surface for one side and the other half for the other side. After both sides have a nice color, I turn it down below medium.

One technique a French chef taught me was while I like to use is while I mostly use salt/pepper, I also add a (very) little bit of sugar to the rub as you can barely taste it and it will caramelize on the meat nicely.

glockeyed
11-29-10, 11:31
room temperature steak.
worcestershire
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
garlic powder.

throw it on a hot grill, the second you see "blood" come up flip it. a couple of minutes take it off, it will continue to cook (esp if it has a bone).

should be a perfect Med Rare.

Thomas M-4
11-29-10, 11:32
I normally marinate with full flavor beer or Jack Daniels 4-3 hrs. Just before you grill them I add some salt and or pepper.
Now when I am grilling them I cut up a stick of real butter into little squares and place one on each steak every time I turn them. I personally like mine medium well to well. The butter keeps them from drying out and helps with tendering them up.

sadmin
11-29-10, 11:48
I like to take some sprigs of rosemary and throw them in some olive oil and simmer. Take that once its cooled and marinate the steak for 2+ hours. Add sea salt, sear on grill, finish on grill side with burner off.

rickrock305
11-29-10, 11:52
I've been sprinkling some Montreal Steak Seasoning on mine and its pretty tasty.

The_Biased_Observer
11-29-10, 11:53
I'd take the Alton Brown pan fry method over steak from a yucky propane grill.

Wood fire or nothing!

rob_s
11-29-10, 11:58
wood fire is ridiculously over-rated when it comes to steaks and other grilling. It's like some bastardized wannabe barbecue smokehouse thing. Does zero for steak for the amount of time you're going to cook the meat. It's some weird suburban mental problem where they're clinging to their manhood, or what's left of it. Like obsessing over their lawn as if it's actually "property" at 1/250th of an acre. :sarcastic:

I'm reminded of the exchange between Hank Hill and his neighbor
neighbor: I cook with charcoal. gives meat nice taste of mequite
Hank: I cook with propane. gives meat nice taste of MEAT!

Mac5.56
11-29-10, 11:58
I like to play around with marinades from time to time. And I am a big fan of a well cooked, blackened medium rare steak with blue cheese butter on top and fried onions. So I do this from time to time too.

But just a plain ol steak is good some times too.

Cooking wise though I have a cast iron pan with a raised grill on it. Since I live in an apartment this is the closest I can get to a grill. Heat that sucker up, and just like everyone else here, 2 to 3 minutes per side, and done!

Don Robison
11-29-10, 11:59

I have three of them I'll be grilling tonight and I thought I'd see what kinds of tips and tricks the rest of you use when grilling NYS.

I'm fond of the basics of setting it out, salting with sea salt, and slapping it on raring-hot grates for a couple of minutes on a side with the top open before moving it to the top rack with the lid closed to let the insides come up to desired doneness. I use a Weber three-burner propane grill and I heat the whole thing up with all three raging until the temp gauge is pegged, then run a couple of minutes on a side before turning off the back burner (on the Weber they run side-to-side) and moving them up to the warming rack for indirect cooking.

I also do blackened steaks with Chef Paul's blackened magic, but that's another topic I think.

I do it the same as you Rob except I also add fresh ground pepper.

Honu
11-29-10, 12:46
curious if others think this also ?

let it rest for a few minutes before cutting into it ! and remember meat keeps cooking once off the grill :)

seems at some BBQ people take the steak off plate it up and cut into it ?

I was always taught let it rest a bit so the juices kinda redistribute throughout and makes the steak much juicer otherwise all the juices tend to just run out and you are left with a drier steak :)

Gutshot John
11-29-10, 12:55
Yes you should let it rest (covered with foil) for about 10 minutes. This allows the juices to pull back into the fibers.

I don't recommend cutting into the meat unless you're really not sure.

This is true for all meats (except fish) no matter which kind and no matter which cooking method.

jaydoc1
11-29-10, 13:04
Don't remember which chef said this but his opinion (and mine) is that people play with their meat entirely too much when grilling. Perfect medium rare 1-1.5"medium rate steak is grilled thusly:

Grill is 425-450°. Grill 5 minutes with lid closed. Flip. Grill 5 minutes with lid closed. Eat.

Any more than that and you're just drying out the steak.

orionz06
11-29-10, 13:05
I will salt the steak on both sides with course crystals and let it sit out of the refrigerator. Before I cook it, I will take some sugar (brown sugar) and a touch of garlic salt, hit it in a mortar and pestle to get it real fine, almost powder like, and mix in a bit of the same salt. The salt is mixed in and the cyrstals are broken down a bit. I rub one each side and toss it on the grill.

I use an infrared grill and the thing is set to high with grate temps of about 700 degrees. Let each side cook for about a minute or two. I will flip when the steak lifts up easily and doesnt stick. Flip too soon and it will stick to the grate. Once the second side is done, I turn the heat down to medium and go for about 2-3 minutes a side again and I am done.

When I am flipping, I flip to a clean spot on the grill.

mr_smiles
11-29-10, 14:05
wood fire is ridiculously over-rated when it comes to steaks and other grilling. It's like some bastardized wannabe barbecue smokehouse thing. Does zero for steak for the amount of time you're going to cook the meat. It's some weird suburban mental problem where they're clinging to their manhood, or what's left of it. Like obsessing over their lawn as if it's actually "property" at 1/250th of an acre. :sarcastic:

I gotta disagree, last year I got bored and built a redneck grill inside of my wood burning fireplace, and it was delicious. Wasn't like off the gas grill.

The_Biased_Observer
11-29-10, 14:52

Thats a bucket of turds left under the porch.....

Any commercial propane grill is not going to maintain it's heat once the lid is opened like a wood fire will. Unless of course you've filled your grill with cast iron and added burners, a simple grate (or "flavorizer bar") won't do it. You are focusing too much on pop culture instead of the science.

The added bonus of smoke is just that, but does indeed ad to the experience.

I have an acre.:laugh:

11-29-10, 14:54
My brother-in-law is an excellent, trained chef. He's won a boatload of prizes, been on tv, etc. He turned me onto coating the steaks with butter while they cooked and seasoning them to personal taste. The butter really works wonders.

rob_s
11-29-10, 14:58
your "science" bores me. It's like the people worrying about DI guns getting hot, total non-issue, regardless of whether or not it's true.

I bet if we gave 100 people 200 steaks and didn't tell them which was cooked on what 99 of them wouldn't be able to tell you one way or the other. and I bet 75 of 'em would prefer the gas steak too. :p Most people worried about cooking with wood/coal are more worried about what their friends will think if they use gas than they are about having a good meal. Like folks that buy from the left side of the Chart just so they can use it to tell their friends how stupid they are for buying from the right.

It's pure horseshit. Or mythology. or religion. all the same. ;)

The_Biased_Observer
11-29-10, 15:21
By the sound of it, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference either but that's ok too. It make you easy to cook for.:p

PrivateCitizen
11-29-10, 15:54
Stove top, Pan (or griddle for those who like stripes) most always. Steak over flame is a recipe for leather. Most outdoor grills can't maintain the temps as needed in my experience.

Easy 7 Step Process (assume NY or Rib Eye)

Lightly oil (peanut or canola), Kosher Salt, Pepper
Iron skillet/griddle heated rocket hot (5 min on high)
2 min per side … no touching
Insert digital remote temp probe to center and place in oven at heated 275-300°
pull at desired temp -3°
rest on cooling rack 5 muntes
Serve

lethal dose
11-29-10, 16:04
I put the steaks in gallon zip loc bags with an amber beer overnight, take them out, rub them in salt and pepper, grill on a medium high heat until blood comes through, flip them, grill till blood comes through, flip them once more to cook the blood off, eat. Usually a nice medium.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-29-10, 17:11
What, no Larue seasoning????

I do the singe and bake method too. 2.5min, flip; 2.5min, flip. Turn and repeat to make cross grill marks. I have to cook steaks for the family that range from well-done(don't ask) to grill marked.

I sometimes take Sprite or 7up and marinate the steaks for a few hours. The acids 'age' the steak a bit and add a lemon flavor. The sugar carmalizes on the surface. My brother really likes it.

How much tenderizing with a mallet do you guys do?

Don Robison
11-29-10, 17:26

I buy mine already dead so there is no reason to bludgeon it.:sarcastic:

lethal dose
11-29-10, 17:29
I don't use a mallet much. Depending on the cut, I perforate the meat with a fork.

rat31465
11-29-10, 18:41
Thick cut Ribeye.
Hot Charcoal two level fire.
Seven minutes per side.
I especially like the McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning.

orionz06
11-29-10, 19:48
What, no Larue seasoning????

I do the singe and bake method too. 2.5min, flip; 2.5min, flip. Turn and repeat to make cross grill marks. I have to cook steaks for the family that range from well-done(don't ask) to grill marked.

I sometimes take Sprite or 7up and marinate the steaks for a few hours. The acids 'age' the steak a bit and add a lemon flavor. The sugar carmalizes on the surface. My brother really likes it.

Dillo dust has its place, but not on a steak...

No mallet... See below...

I buy mine already dead so there is no reason to bludgeon it.:sarcastic:

Exactly.

SWATcop556
11-29-10, 21:33
Dillo Dust is ok but I find that Lawrey's Seasoned Salt tastes damn near the same.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-29-10, 23:01
On the mallet, I don't beat my meat either, didn't know if anyone would admit to it. I do marinade and flatten my chicken breast fillets, gets them nice and thin so I can cook them evenly.

I lightly season with Lawry's, except for fatty cuts like Ribeyes where I'll season the fat on the edges pretty heavily to help season and soften it up.

South Park on WGN is about the beef industry.

SteyrAUG
11-29-10, 23:03
The only thing I do out of the ordinary is put a few real coals on my gas grill. Other than that ribeye medium rare with nothing fancy.

Honu
11-29-10, 23:16
Thats a bucket of turds left under the porch.....

Any commercial propane grill is not going to maintain it's heat once the lid is opened like a wood fire will. Unless of course you've filled your grill with cast iron and added burners, a simple grate (or "flavorizer bar") won't do it. You are focusing too much on pop culture instead of the science.

The added bonus of smoke is just that, but does indeed ad to the experience.

I have an acre.:laugh:
I agree wood or open cooking is a touch better ? but depends a bit :) but for me not always doable these days :)
some of the best we used to do dig big hole in beach throw in Kiawe burn down to charcoal throw big iron grate over throw on food enjoy :)

for gas I like Australia style open top BBQ setups hot flame dont need to close the top to cook :)
porcelain redistributing briquets and huge cast iron burners

best cooking was my old green egg type setup I think it was called a Kimado oven or something then ?
those do amazing job for lots of things

most important thing is good meat !!!! and as mentioned not played with to much :) a few flips thats it let it rest and enjoy

Magic_Salad0892
11-30-10, 08:30
You guys are dicks. I wish I could cook.

Oh, propane is better; by the way.

Quiet-Matt
11-30-10, 08:42
I'd take the Alton Brown pan fry method.

We tried this the other night. We put the steaks in a freezer bag to marinate for 30-45 minutes on the counter. Put a little olive oil in the giant sautee pan over medium high heat. about 3 - 4 minutes on each side, done. I topped it with some terragon butter sauce that I made. Ate it with my wife's awesome french onion soup. Goood stuff. Took 2 hours to make everything and 15 minutes to inhale it. I usually grill out, but the weather was nasty. I was surprized how well it turned out in the pan. Oh yea, be sure to cover the pan.;)

parishioner
11-30-10, 09:06
I'm at an apartment complex so I bought a little compact weber. I put around 30 coals in the chimney, let them get mostly white and toss them in the pit.

For the steak, I like a NY strip around 12-14 oz. I have a marinade that I like to use. Some say it's too much but I like it.

Lemon juice
Red pepper- two pinches
Chipoltle mustard
Worchestershire sauce
Dales- just a cap full
Montreal steak seasoning
Italian dressing

I let it marinade for at least an hour, usually 2-3. Then I let it cook on one side for 7 min and 6 on the other. Grab a brew and enjoy.

One of the best steaks I've had was one that was just marinated in Italian dressing.

R Moran
11-30-10, 10:49
I tell the waitress at Outback, Prime Rib, medium:D

I live in an apartment also, with no grills allowed. When I do decide to cook for myself, (what a PITA), I use Gordon's Grub Rub, that shit is the bomb.
Put it in a pan and broil it, a few minutes each side,and call it good.

Bob

R Moran
11-30-10, 10:51
Double tap

Razoreye
11-30-10, 11:03

I do not know the meaning of this "insides come up to desired doneness." It reads egyptian or faggotry or something. :D

Get the grill as hot as possible, no spices/salts/bastes, slap steak on (love NYS,) sear first side around 2 minutes, flip and sear second side around 2 minutes, take off and consume immediately. Depending on the grill/heat combo time may be more or less. The idea is to be rare through and through so there is none of this "5-10 minutes" cool off. The ONLY acceptable addition now is salt to enhance steak flavor and NOT hide it. Enjoy. ;)

d90king
11-30-10, 11:06
Kosher (blue square box with the star of David on it... I dont remember the brand) salt rubbed all over - fresh crushed black pepper liberally applied - Rosemary sprinkled on.

Let sit in the fridge for an hour and grill at 550 or so 5-6 minutes each side (turning only once). Very easy and awesome as long as you like black pepper :big_boss:

glockeyed
11-30-10, 13:21
i keep seeing rosemary pop up...

now im gonna have to try it. :laugh:

rat31465
11-30-10, 18:47
Just remember that if you cook with the lid to the grill down...you are baking and not Grilling....:D