PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!Quiting smoking

devildogljb
11-30-10, 04:45
Well ive been smoking since 2003 picked it up in the core and i want to stop. My mom passed away from cancer in june not smoking related but i dont want to go threw what she did any suggestions. I cant afford the chewing gum or the patch or pretty much any thing that will cost alot of money lol Any one have any suggestions i would appericate it

austinN4
11-30-10, 04:59
Well ive been smoking since 2003 picked it up in the core and i want to stop. My mom passed away from cancer in june not smoking related but i dont want to go threw what she did any suggestions. I cant afford the chewing gum or the patch or pretty much any thing that will cost alot of money lol Any one have any suggestions i would appericate it
Will power - just do it! If you really want to quit you will.

variablebinary
11-30-10, 05:03
It's all about motivation, and odds are if you can't quit, you don't have the right motivation

If someone offered you a billion dollars if you never smoked again, I don't you'd have a problem going cold turkey

Commit to a goal and live up to it.

DaBears_85
11-30-10, 06:06
The patches aren't that expensive. It's been awhile since I quit smoking, but if IIRC they're like $20-30 for each 'step', which lasts like a month or so. I'd also recommend getting something to replace the oral fixation that smoking creates, like some gum or sunflower seeds e.t.c.

Basically put, anything that helps minimalize your overwhelming urge to kill is a good thing.

Business_Casual
11-30-10, 06:10
I bet there are programs that will help with the costs - check around, these organizations exist to help.

I used Chantix and it worked like a charm.

B_C

5pins
11-30-10, 07:51
Think of it this way, if you can’t afford to quit then you can’t afford to smoke. Look at how much you spend on cigarettes and how much you will save if you quit. I quit 14 years ago with a little help with nicorette. But nether gum or patches will work by themselves. Like Variable said find some motivation.

rickrock305
11-30-10, 08:28
Don't mess around with any of that gum or patch crap. Just quit. Its really not that hard if you want to do it.

glockeyed
11-30-10, 09:15
Don't mess around with any of that gum or patch crap. Just quit. Its really not that hard if you want to do it.

this^^^

read this site, it really helped me.. becomeanex.org

it focuses on triggers. for me whenever a trigger started a craving, i popped 2 altoids and left the "area". disrupt that "habit" for 5mins and you can beat it.

Ejh28
11-30-10, 10:16
+1 to the Chantex. I've never smoked cigerettes (cigars are a different story), but I watched a couple co-workers go from almost a pack a day to nothing inside of 2 weeks.

Only side effect either one of them had was some bad dreams.

Good luck on it though!

500grains
11-30-10, 10:33
Every time you feel a desire for a cig, do 10 burpees.

Macx
11-30-10, 10:42
I did a smoking cessation class. Patches, switching to chew and like nicotine replacement gimicks just wouldn't do it for me. I had the habit bad. Not a drag since 16 Sept 1996 now.

kaiservontexas
11-30-10, 10:47
Stay calm . . . I went 2 1/2 days the other week without even thinking about it the day before I just stopped. Then I got all excited and poof now I am thinking about another quit date. I do not use ceasation aids. I did quit for a year once . . . Addiction sucks . . . and it is a struggle to get free.

khc3
11-30-10, 11:24
I used Chantix to stop smoking and dipping Copenhagen after 27 years.

IIRC, I did one 12-week course of medication at about $95 per 30 pills. My insurance covered the doctor visit to get the prescription as wellness care.

So around $325 to quit tobacco almost painlessly, for good.

Previous attempts to quit resulted in feeling physically ill after 18 hours without nicotine, much like I'd imagine heroin withdrawal to be.

Coming up on 4 years without tobacco, and I haven't had one craving since then. I can sit in a smoky bar drinking beer and not even think about smoking a cigarette, which I never thought would be possible.

SWATcop556
11-30-10, 11:30
Best of luck to you. I smoked for a few years but never a hard core pack-a-day guy. My nicotine crutch is I've used chewing tobacco since I was 17. I've tried to quit several times with no luck so anyone wanting to quit gets my full blessing. At damn near $10 a bag for chew I know I'm pissing money away and my wife hates it but I haven't been able to drop the habit.

parishioner
11-30-10, 12:00
I've always thought that these were pretty amazing facts and they may help with the motivation to quit.

The chance of heart attack decreases 24 hours after ending tobacco use.

Nerve endings regenerate, enhancing the ability to smell and taste, within 48 hours after stopping tobacco use.

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting tobacco use, circulation improves, walking becomes easier and lung function significantly improves.

1 year after ending tobacco use, risk of coronary disease decreases to half that of a smoker.

5 years after quitting, the risk of stroke is reduced to that of a non-smoker.

Spurholder
11-30-10, 12:43
I quit ten years ago, used nicotine patches. Worked like a champ, haven't smoked since.

tracker722
11-30-10, 15:55

montanadave
11-30-10, 16:47
My biggest trigger was beer, booze, and bars. Didn't seem right to have a beer in one hand and not have a smoke in the other.

For others, it's the morning cup of joe.

As others have previously stated, identify your triggers and eliminate them. Breaking an addiction is never easy, but it's not complicated. Make the commitment, get support from the folks around you, identify and eliminate your triggers, and reward yourself for positive results.

Quitting smoking may require shaking up your routine a little (or maybe a lot) but your health and being around for your family and friends is worth the price. If it means skipping the beer after work for a month or two, so be it.

Smoke free since August '96.

Suwannee Tim
11-30-10, 17:24
For me pharmaceuticals were the key. Forget the gum, it is as as addictive as cigarettes and worthless for conquering addiction. When you smoke your last cigarette, immediately think of yourself as a non-smoker which means you will never smoke another cigarette, not even one. One cigarette will cause you to fail. You can't smoke "just one" and expect to succeed. I used Zyban (wellbutrin) which is an anti-depressant which reduces or eliminates the craving. It doesn't eliminate the want but the craving which is a big help. This is 10 years ago and there might be better choices than Zyban now. Get on the pill for a couple or three weeks before you quit. When you quit use the patch as well as the pill. Start with the biggest patch. After a week or two step down the the next dosage, a week or two then next. Stay on the pill for a week or two after your last patch. The pharmaceutical company recommends you use the patch and pill longer than you really need to. A few weeks is what it takes. As far as the cost, if you look at the yearly cost of smoking, the investment in the drugs pays off in a couple of months then you are money ahead. If you fail, keep trying. I tried and failed many times before I succeeded. Good luck.

Hersh
11-30-10, 17:28
Here's what worked for me. I quit on a New Year's Eve, after smoking about two packs of Luckies, then started a running program the next day. The coughing fits no doubt bolstered my will power.

I gave up running a long time ago, but haven't had a cigarette in almost 20 years.

Good luck!

rickrock305
11-30-10, 21:40
and just a warning, don't replace your nicotine addiction with another addiction! thats why you hear people say they get fatter when they quit smoking. they just replace one addiction with another. or at least find a healthy addiction. mine was working out and running.

devildogljb
11-30-10, 21:45
and just a warning, don't replace your nicotine addiction with another addiction! thats why you hear people say they get fatter when they quit smoking. they just replace one addiction with another. or at least find a healthy addiction. mine was working out and running.

Yeah i know im already ahead of you on that i used to weigh 230 pounds before i joined the core

cop1211
11-30-10, 21:51
Its Corps, not core:confused:

devildogljb
11-30-10, 21:54
Its Corps, not core:confused:

sorry, but some people do call it core espically my father hes was also in, i guess it rubbed off on me

Ak44
11-30-10, 21:56
It's spelt "Corps", pronounced like "core". We're talking about the Marine Corps right?

devildogljb
11-30-10, 21:59
It's spelt "Corps", pronounced like "core". We're talking about the Marine Corps right?

yes we are, sorry for my lack of grammer or what ever you want to call it

rdc0000
11-30-10, 22:19
Will power - just do it! If you really want to quit you will.

This is the only way. Quit once for 5 years and now its been 6 on the second quit. I will never go back to smoking. It killed my uncles and my father. It will still probably kill me.

Your a hacking junkie, if you want to keep it that way then whine, cry and chew gum with an electric cigarette, with a patch on you.

Make up your mind, be a man and just do it. Otherwise your a mindless worm that needs to die of lung cancer for the good of man kind. JK, sort of.

devildogljb
11-30-10, 22:27
This is the only way. Quit once for 5 years and now its been 6 on the second quit. I will never go back to smoking. It killed my uncles and my father. It will still probably kill me.

Your a hacking junkie, if you want to keep it that way then whine, cry and chew gum with an electric cigarette, with a patch on you.

Make up your mind, be a man and just do it. Otherwise your a mindless worm that needs to die of lung cancer for the good of man kind. JK, sort of.

well its been 3 hours with out one so we will see how the night goes

Macx
12-01-10, 01:07
Good luck.

One of the things that keeps me quit is the time I have invested in being quit. When you were three hours quit, you had three hours, one drag takes you to zero. You get a day in, you have a day, one drag takes you to nadda. Remeber how miserable it is, remember how much the craving sucks & then remember that you want to quit. You take a drag you gotta go through that again. The longer you are quit the easier it gets, the stronger the pull of say, being a month quit. Take a drag and you have to do that month over. Now I have over 14 years of quitness. . . . starting over wasn't even a temptation in the midst of divorce, in the midst of family tradgedies . . . I walked through without a single drag, because I didn't want to have to quit again. Fight it like you never want to have to fight it again!

rdc0000
12-01-10, 07:37
well its been 3 hours with out one so we will see how the night goes

Just keep thinking about that tumor you'll get at the Y of your lungs. Your family get's to watch you turn into a skeleton before their eyes as you wear a diaper and cough up blood. You will welcome the morphine in the end as your family slowly poisons you to stop the agony.
There will be plenty of guilt to go around.

The physical withdraw only lasts a short time, the mental issues will take longer. Just realize that you will be thinking of them ever minute, hour, then every day, then once a week and finally never again. I sometimes smoke in my dreams but, that is it.

You can do this. Don't just do it for yourself do it for your family. I would die if one of my children took up smoking. Especially, because of my influence.

Good luck, we all wish you a long an smoke free life.

5pins
12-01-10, 08:11
Beer was a big trigger for me. I didn’t have a drink for 9 months. I also had a lot of pent-up energy and found myself fidgeting with stuff all the time. Find stuff to keep yourself occupied.