PDA

View Full Version : TR24G moa and hold over info request?

Eagle1*
11-30-10, 10:03
I am looking at purchasing one of these within a day or two and was wondering what the actual moa of the triangle was top point to bottom? Obviously it does not matter at the top point if you are using that as your aiming point but I was wondering is there a way to range your targets with this recticle or is there a hold over for say 200, 300 yards for this recticle? Thanks E1..:confused:

Alaskapopo
12-01-10, 00:04
I am looking at purchasing one of these within a day or two and was wondering what the actual moa of the triangle was top point to bottom? Obviously it does not matter at the top point if you are using that as your aiming point but I was wondering is there a way to range your targets with this recticle or is there a hold over for say 200, 300 yards for this recticle? Thanks E1..:confused:

The Triangle is 12 moa I believe. When I had one I sighted the tip in at 200 yards and found that the bottom of the triangle worked for 300 yards. Past that you need to dial in your elevation with the turrets.
Pat

nickdrak
12-01-10, 01:00
I think 0-300yards is where the TR24G really works well on a 5.56 carbine. I dont like to rely on the bottom of the triangle to range as the triangle covers up too much out past 200yds. I just work off of the tip of the triangle.

I would really like to see a green chevron with some ranging lines out to about 400yds on this scope. I still love it as-is though.

I run a 100yd zero, and at 200yds my hold-over is approximately *2.75"

At 300yds my hold-over is approximately *13"

*This is all dependent on your barrel length, twist, ammo choice, etc.

glockshooter
12-01-10, 02:21
I agree with Nick it is a great scope for 0-300. I have the 24R and I have been extremely impressed with it. I however use a 50 yard zero. With a 50 you are never more the 1.5 inches high ( at about 140 yards) and don't need to hold over until about 225 yards. At 300 you have 5 to 8 inches of drop depending on bullet velocity. It gets a little fuzzy after 300 due to the type of reticle.

Matt

Eagle1*
12-01-10, 15:01
Thanks for the replies guys, I just ordered one yesterday and am anxiously awaiting it to arrive.

What would be a good mount for this scope? I was thinking Larue, but am open to others. I am wondering if I need an extended eye relief scope for my flat top AR15?:confused:

bp7178
12-01-10, 15:28
You will love your Trijicon TR24. I kick myself everyday for selling mine. After seeing what's new at Shot 2011, I may buy another Trijicon, a TR24R.

I had both an American Defense Recon-X and Larue Tactical SPR 1.93.

Both are very high quality. My issue with the ADM was that the adjusters only had six lugs, one posistion was too tight, the next too loose. They now ship with eight lugs. To make sure you got one of those, I would order from ADM direct or call and speak with someone to make sure you know what you're getting.

That being said, I liked the Larue a little better. I prefer Larue's rings. There are less screws and I also like the way they enter from alternating sides of the mount. The Larue also felt a little lighter in my hand, but it wasn't a huge amount. It could have very well been the difference in numbers of screws. I also like the tension adjustment of the Larue mounts, and the levers seem easier to move, regardless of tension.

Bobro is another option, and they are neat in the fact that they auto adjust. The mount Trijicon lists on their site is a Trijicon branded Bobro mount, if that tells you anything. They are expensive, more so than the other two options i've listed. I have no first hand with the Bobro, but user reviews i've read have been strong.

I like the higher mounts for the TR24 type of scopse, if you plan on using it a lot at 1x. I like the releif cuts in the side of the higher ADM mount, looks good.

If you plan to mostly live at longer ranges, I would get the lower mount.

If the extra-extended mounts aren't avaible, you can always mount the scope so the turrents are forward toward the front ring. Its almost an asthetic thing, i've owned both, and both have worked well.

The TR21 had a longer eye releif than the TR24, so with that scope I would recommend getting the extra-extended mount to push it further out over the delta ring. With the TR24, it isn't a huge deal.

nickdrak
12-01-10, 15:41
Thanks for the replies guys, I just ordered one yesterday and am anxiously awaiting it to arrive.

What would be a good mount for this scope? I was thinking Larue, but am open to others. I am wondering if I need an extended eye relief scope for my flat top AR15?:confused:

What upper are you going to mount it on? If you have a continuous top rail you wont need to get the extended eye-relief mount.

I initially ran the higher 1.93" height LaRue LT-135 mount and really liked it. Especially for CQB work. But I found that it would not clear part of my rifle rack at work, so I switched to the lower LaRue SPR-E (Extended Eye Relief) mount. It took a bit of getting used to, but after a few trips to the range running some drills I think there is very little difference in speed running CQB drills than the 1.93" mount for me.

Personally I would stick with the LaRue SPR-E (LT-139) mount for the TR24G. If you don't like the mount, Im sure Mark LaRue will swap it out for something that works for you if you call and speak with someone directly at LaRue Tactical. Great mounts backed-up by the greatest customer service in the industry.

Eagle1*
12-01-10, 21:32
nickdrak,

here is what I have to put it on!

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lr-vtac&cat=154&page=1&search=&since=&status=

I am thinking the Larue mount will be the way to go. I am just worried about the eye relief since I do not have the scope yet. Should be here on Friday so I need to order a mount soon.:confused:

You guys could post some pics of your rifles with your TR24's attached and that may help me out!!

bp7178
12-01-10, 23:30
I'll post a pic with the TR24 and the ADM mount I had it in.

You wont have a problem with the Larue and the TR24.

usmcvet
12-01-10, 23:35
Here is my BLT. This is the 1.93 LaRue. Id like the shorter mount.

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=1363

nickdrak
12-01-10, 23:52
Here ya go:
http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/4579/sdc10697.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4848/sdc10702d.jpg

Your Noveske/VTAC is very similar in concept to my home built 16" Middy pictured above. Very cool! I got a feeling that thing is gonna be a shooter;)

Eagle1*
12-02-10, 01:36
so nickdrak, what is the model # of your Larue mount? I was thinking the lt-104 for me but it appears that you have the extended mount? Looks good btw too!

nickdrak
12-02-10, 09:58
so nickdrak, what is the model # of your Larue mount? I was thinking the lt-104 for me but it appears that you have the extended mount? Looks good btw too!

Correct, I am running the Extended Eye Relief LT-139. As you can see from the pics I run my stock one click out from fully collapsed. If you run your stock further out you should be able to get away with running the standard LT-104 and still keep it mounted on the receiver and off of the handguard. I ran my 1.93" height LT-135 partially on the handguard by bridging the receiver rail and the VTAC handguard rail without issue, but some dont like to run it that way.

d90king
12-02-10, 10:06

Mount looks really high, how is the cheek weld with the SOPMOD?

Eagle1*
12-02-10, 18:24

did you forget to post the pic????

usmcvet
12-02-10, 20:15
The mount is pretty high. LaRue suggests the 1.43 unless you need the 1.93 because of a laser/ir. Some folks like the 1.93 because it makes you keep your head up.

I traded an H1 mounted in a LaRue mount along with a new LMT BCG and a spare SOPMOD for the scope. The SOPMOD helped balance out the gun for me. I liked the cheekweld. I've gone back to a CTR on this gun to match my other guns. I like running my 2 point sling through the end of my CTR. I don't care for the QD at the end of the CTR or SOPMOD if it had a rotaion limiter it might work better for me. I think I will save some money and buy a MOE with my next gun.:D

cop1211
12-02-10, 21:59
I have 4 of the Tr24 triangles, all are mounted in the Larue 1.93.

I went for the higher mount for more of a heads up style. I use these on duty/SWAT.

dfsutton
12-03-10, 09:43
On a AR with an F marked FSB, will the LT-104 give me a lower 1/3 co-witness or an absolute co-witness?

kwelz
12-03-10, 14:59
On a AR with an F marked FSB, will the LT-104 give me a lower 1/3 co-witness or an absolute co-witness?

You cna't really co-witness through a magnified optic even at 1X.

usmcvet
12-03-10, 18:33
You cna't really co-witness through a magnified optic even at 1X.

With the mount I have it is not even an option. The scope is too high. I tried with my initial install to mount the scope forward enough so I could flip up my Troy rear sight. It worked but the scope was too high to co witness at all.

Eagle not sure what you meant about the photo. I only have that one. I could snap a photo of the gun now. With the CTR if you want. I also swapped the 11" tube for a 13" tube and the bolt hold open unit is gone. I need another BAD lever and I am done.:D

TehLlama
12-03-10, 21:33
dfsutton - I can focus on ridiculously close objects with ease, and I'm able to get the triangle and front post the same degree of fuzziness - with an LT104 it's the same sight line - but cowitness simply doesn't occur with a variable powered optic.

bp7178
12-04-10, 11:33
The LT104 is absolute co-witness height.

The Larue 1.93 scope mount is actually a bit taller than what a lower 1/3rd co-witness mount would be. 1.93", my Larue aimpoint mount is approximately 1.75ish.

Using the term co-witness really only applies to a reference height. If I were to say absolute co-witness, you would have an idea of how high the scope would sit.

You cannot co-witness through a scope. There is too much at work inside of the tube, lenses, refractive power etc, for that to work.

dfsutton
12-04-10, 11:34
dfsutton - I can focus on ridiculously close objects with ease, and I'm able to get the triangle and front post the same degree of fuzziness - with an LT104 it's the same sight line - but cowitness simply doesn't occur with a variable powered optic.

Ok, What I was meaning to ask, but did not do a good job of conveying, is on the Trijicon TR24 mounted on a LT-104, will the FSB obscure the target when set at 1.x?

Obviously I haven't really ever handled 1-4xs before because I do not know anyone that has one locally, and do not know of a store that carries them in stock here. I'm just trying to get an idea of how it would function before I purchase it sight unseen.

bp7178
12-04-10, 11:40
You will see the FSB as a blur on 1x with a LT104. There are some pics on this site....somewhere....of it. Try searchin by using the term TR24 it TR21.

IMO, the only want to run is with flip ups. I've been using either magpul or troys and I haven't looked back. There are a few high quality gas block & flip up front sight combinations out there. Just stick with a trusted brand.

Drummer
12-05-10, 07:33
Has anyone else noticed the eye relief changing on the TR24s as the magnification power is changed?

usmcvet
12-05-10, 07:35
Has anyone else noticed the eye relief changing on the TR24s as the magnification power is changed?

Yes. I assumed it was supposed to. Should it stay the same?

bp7178
12-05-10, 09:54
I never noticed it changing. Of course, the scope is more tolerant, if you will, of head posistion at lower powers.

PrarieDog
12-05-10, 11:09
I just installed my TR 24G last night. Specs call for 3.2" of eye relief. As you dial up to 4x you lose eye relief and have to move your head forward. Not to big of a deal but usually scope manufacturers list a range for the eye relief when it changes due to power change. Other than that this scope is awsome.

bp7178
12-05-10, 11:47
I never noticed it.

Did you adjust the diopter ring into the positive or negative to match your vision?

bp7178
12-05-10, 11:49
Pic of my old TR24G in an ADM mount.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/roguedemon/AR158310.jpg

Eagle1*
12-05-10, 17:54
I just installed my TR 24G last night. Specs call for 3.2" of eye relief. As you dial up to 4x you lose eye relief and have to move your head forward. Not to big of a deal but usually scope manufacturers list a range for the eye relief when it changes due to power change. Other than that this scope is awsome.

you have a way to post a pic, I would like to see it. I am actually noticing that you guys are mounting these scopes on the extended eye relief mounts, which is what I am going to get tomorrow from Larue.

Eagle1*
12-05-10, 17:55
Eagle not sure what you meant about the photo. I only have that one. I could snap a photo of the gun now. With the CTR if you want. I also swapped the 11" tube for a 13" tube and the bolt hold open unit is gone. I need another BAD lever and I am done.:D

I cannot see it on my computer, that is why I said that. It is not posted in your post on my computer! I thought you forgot to attach it or something!

PrarieDog
12-05-10, 19:14
I'll post a pic up shortly.

PrarieDog
12-05-10, 19:49
Here is a pic as requested. Larue recommends the extended mount. It could be done with a standard mount but for some people it may not work. I am still waiting for my JP 1:30 mount so that I can install my back up sites.

Drummer
12-05-10, 20:32
The scope/rifle combo wasn't mine so I don't know how the TR24 was adjusted. But there was definitely a change in eye relief going from 1 to 4 power. I had to noticeably move my head towards the scope on 4x.

I loved the scope much that I wanted to buy one but wanted to see if this was common with them.

bp7178
12-05-10, 21:14
Are you sure it wasn't a TR21?

The TR21 does have a change in eye releif per Trijicon's specs.

glockshooter
12-06-10, 10:43
Trijicon lists the TR24 series scopes have a 3.2" eye relief that is constant throughout the magnification range. Trijicon also lists the triangle at 16.7 moa at 1x and 4 moa at 4x. That seems huge but if you are using the tip ofthe triangle for zero it is not at issue for targets inside 300. I will find out this weekend how well it works at 400 and 500. I am not expecting much from it at those distances though. I have a pretty good understanding of it's strengths and limitations

Matt

kwelz
12-06-10, 12:08
Are you sure it wasn't a TR21?

The TR21 does have a change in eye releif per Trijicon's specs.

TR21 is very pronounced, TR24 has it but not near as badly.

bp7178
12-06-10, 12:46
That's why I was asking.

I never noticed it on my TR24G, and a poster said he had to noticeably move his head, which is inconsistent with my experience with the TR24.

MTechnik
12-06-10, 13:10
I never noticed any Eye Relief change when playing with my TR24r. What I think happens (and this is with ANY variable scope) - as you get closer to the scope's higher power, it is less forgiving if you are "off" from the eye relief. At lower powers, it is MUCH more forgiving if you are off from the eye relief distance.

So, people are setting thing up for a 3" eye relief, but as they scope in, they find that they need to adjust their weld.

I never had a problem starting at 4x and reducing the power, and having to change my cheek weld.

Also, when I got my TR24R I first put it in a ADM Scout-X mount, which put it very far forward, but left it in a "low" position (that would be absolute cowitness, except that you can't cowitness). I found that was a bit low for working drills while not at the bench.

I got the newer ADM Recon-H mount, which puts it at that same 1.93" height. Now when I am standing, and bring the gun up, it is a perfect cheek weld for me. I put the UBR at the top front of my shoulder, my cheek on TOP of the UBR cheekrest, and with my head upright, the scope is perfectly centered for me.

If you want to try it at the range sometime, D90, let me know.

bp7178
12-06-10, 15:14
I couldn't agree more with everything you posted.

usmcvet
12-07-10, 18:26
I took another look at my scope quickly this morning before work. I need to pull a ruler out and check my eye relief. I got my cheek weld and ran the scope from low to high power and it was fine until the highest power where I needed to adjust my cheek weld a little. I suspect I might not have the eye relief set correctly. I never measured it just put it where it seemed to work.

bp7178
12-07-10, 18:40
I wouldn't worry about measuring it.

Just shoot it and enjoy.

Eagle1*
12-07-10, 19:13
Thanks for all of the replies, I actually ordered a Larue SPR-E mount yesterday and it should be here on Friday. I will post pics once I get it together.:D

Eagle1*
12-10-10, 13:56
Any hints on helping me mount the scope? I was thinking to run it up to the 4 power and then mount it so the eye relief would be correct.

My mount should be here any minute and then on the gun sho goes. Will post a pic of her when I get her mounted on the gun.

nickdrak
12-10-10, 14:12
Any hints on helping me mount the scope? I was thinking to run it up to the 4 power and then mount it so the eye relief would be correct.

Thats exactly how I mounted mine along with the others I have mounted for other shooters, and it worked perfectly.

Eagle1*
12-10-10, 14:30
do any of you see any reason to keep the folding iron sights on here after I mount this scope? I just think they would be useless since this scope is going to be dedicated to this rifle only. Just extra weight for nothing in my opinion???

Alaskapopo
12-10-10, 15:06
do any of you see any reason to keep the folding iron sights on here after I mount this scope? I just think they would be useless since this scope is going to be dedicated to this rifle only. Just extra weight for nothing in my opinion???

You should always have a back up sighting system usually that is back up irons sometimes its a back up RDS sight. But don't run just one optic. Those sights would be anything but useless if something bad happened to your optic. Nothing is foolproof.

Pat