PDA

View Full Version : BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle users in here please....

BR870
11-30-10, 10:55
Due to previous experience with older style Tac Latches, I have thus far been averse to all tac latches including the Gunfighter. However, the Gunfighter has been out long enough now for it to be thoroughly sorted out, and if it has genuinely avoided some of the earlier problems I am willing to look into getting one.

My main issue with the older steel latches was the steel latch was supposedly prone to wearing through the ledge on the upper receiver that the latch catches onto. Now I understand the BCM is aluminum, so this should not be as much of a problem, but I would like to hear from owners what they have experienced. Any problems with the ledge wearing down?

My second concern was the off center forces from pulling one handed, which are sort of unavoidable if pulling one handed. According to BCM the Gunfighters design is supposed to help move "directly to the rear and does not angle off to the outboard side". This is really only a minor concern, but it would be nice to know if the design does help minimize some of the off center forces on the upper receiver...

So over all, I'm just interested in hearing what owners think of the BCM Gunfighter and how well its dealt with the issues caused by older tac latches....

yellowv
11-30-10, 10:59
Just get one. The gunfighter does not mar the upper any more than a stock CH. Also the design better transfers the force of the pull by the way they moved the pin. They are a great part.

genegoesfast
11-30-10, 11:04
I own one. It's great. Don't over think this one. Buy it.

Eric D.
11-30-10, 11:08
The Gunfighter CH is one of the best things to have happened to the AR platform.
As far as wear, the finish on my upper at the latch it gone but the aluminum is solid. The latch has a low angle that allows it to ride over the notch on return, and a sharp hook that drops into the notch to keep it in place. When you pull on the latch, the first thing it does is unlock, then it slides back.
As far as the forces, if you pull straight back, the force is off center and cause an odd smell as the anodizing rubs together; proper lube is an easy fix for this. Rather than pulling directly back, you can pull slightly toward your chest (I'm charge with my left) you can keep the force in-line with the receiver. Having said that, you can still jerk it to the rear at a sharp angle just fine.
I can comfortably palm a volleyball and I have the mod4 - perfect size and doesn't jab my chest with a one-point sling

Lincoln7
11-30-10, 11:15
I love my medium, Mod 4 CH. It's very easy to manipulate and isn't too big to get in the way. This is everything you've already heard but I believe we all still feel this way.

BR870
11-30-10, 11:19
Just get one. The gunfighter does not mar the upper any more than a stock CH. Also the design better transfers the force of the pull by the way they moved the pin. They are a great part.

I own one. It's great. Don't over think this one. Buy it.

Yeah, I do I have a tendency to over think things. I think I think too much. :sarcastic:

The Gunfighter CH is one of the best things to have happened to the AR platform.
As far as wear, the finish on my upper at the latch it gone but the aluminum is solid. The latch has a low angle that allows it to ride over the notch on return, and a sharp hook that drops into the notch to keep it in place. When you pull on the latch, the first thing it does is unlock, then it slides back.
As far as the forces, if you pull straight back, the force is off center and cause an odd smell as the anodizing rubs together; proper lube is an easy fix for this. Rather than pulling directly back, you can pull slightly toward your chest (I'm charge with my left) you can keep the force in-line with the receiver. Having said that, you can still jerk it to the rear at a sharp angle just fine.
I can comfortably palm a volleyball and I have the mod4 - perfect size and doesn't jab my chest with a one-point sling
Ahhh yeah, the new gun smell... Like I said, to a certain degree its kind of unavoidable, but its nice to minimize wear where you can.

As for the latch/ledge I noticed that the latch actually looks much thicker than the standard latch. If anything that should minimize chewing up the ledge area, as it should distribute the force over a larger surface...

rob_s
11-30-10, 11:23
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41226&highlight=gunfighter

kartoffel
11-30-10, 11:23
The best thing about the BCM gunfighter, IMHO, is the enclosed back end. Simply having a web of aluminum holding the rear of the handle together makes it so much more durable. It's easy enough to rip apart a standard charging handle. Those big tactical latches only accelerate the carnage.

BCM did it right.

Hmac
11-30-10, 12:11
Very robust handle. Well-made but there is a design defect (IMHO) that creates an occasional problem for at least some people.

http://mccollister.info/chargehandle.jpg

It's occasionally annoying (painful). A Google search will demonstrate that the pinching issue is not uncommon. It's a good CH, I have three of them, but it does have a drawback which I solved with about ten seconds on a bench grinder along with a little 400-grit and some AlumaBlack.

http://mccollister.info/bcmch.jpg[/quote]

LONGBOWAH
11-30-10, 12:46
Hmmm, I have the stranest feeling of Deja vu. ;)

Highly recommended.

FWIW: I have never been pinched when actioning the handle "as intended" (IMO) with the latch in the crease of your hand below the "calous hump" of you support hand but I am also wearing gloves 100% of my operational time so maybe that makes a difference.

BR870
11-30-10, 15:02
Alright, after reading the replies and the linked thread, I went ahead and ordered a Mod 4.

Eric D.
11-30-10, 15:03
Way to go

Alright, after reading the replies and the linked thread, I went ahead and ordered a Mod 4.

Hmac
11-30-10, 16:55
Hmmm, I have the stranest feeling of Deja vu. ;)

FWIW: I have never been pinched when actioning the handle "as intended"

Yes, what is this, about the 5th BCM charging handle thread?

I recommend this charging handle too, just not "highly". Design defect, IMHO, but nothing better that I've seen, pinch point and all.

djegators
11-30-10, 17:18
I'd say it is a must have if you do a decent amount of shooting, especially if you have optics mounted that make it harder to reach the CH.

UDT
11-30-10, 19:04
Good that you did, I don't think that you will have any regrets.

PdxMotoxer
11-30-10, 19:34
I'm STILL holding out for the Troy Ambi Charging Handle....

http://troyind.com/%20/new-products/troy-ambidextrous-charging-handle-coming-soon-2

http://troyind.com/wp-content/uploads/Troy_ambidextrous_charging_handle2a.jpg

I'm 100% lefty and loving the new Troy ambidextrous parts coming out in 2010. (except the ambi selector I went with the BAD A.S.S. and even got a second short snubby lever)

PatrolRifleGroup
11-30-10, 19:45
I've got three of the Mod4 latches, and I love them. No problems or pinching at all.

wolf_walker
11-30-10, 20:22
Slots in the rear of that Troy look like a good place for crud to get packed into. Maybe the slots are for demo purposes.

I love the BCM handle, it makes an uncomfortable design much less so.

TonyTacoma
11-30-10, 21:40
That Troy handle looks cool!

147 Grain
12-08-10, 13:58
What size of Gunfighter CH do you folks recommend for someone with medium to large hands?

Medium? / Large? :confused:

kwelz
12-08-10, 14:22
Number 4, which is the Medium.

I have a number 3, large size on one gun and don't like it.

I think the #3 is best for guns with full size scopes.

blake-b
12-08-10, 14:23
What size of Gunfighter CH do you folks recommend for someone with medium to large hands?

Get the mod 4 (medium) unless you are running a scope or something that interferes with you securely grasping the charging handle.

I have never been pinched either. I use the inside knife edge of my support hand to "grab" and pull back the CH. I guess it is more of a push than a pull... Picture an open palm and placing the outside edge (palm side) of your hand against the CH... and pushing the CH back

dom1104
12-08-10, 14:26
No pinching here. Got them on all my ARs.

RGoose
12-08-10, 16:24
No pinching here. Got them on all my ARs.
Ditto, and I have the Mod 3 (large). I don't find it too be too big, I prefer it over the Mod 4.

ghostman1960
12-08-10, 16:59
I have the mod 4. While it does not pinch me it does poke me in the chest.

ApacheTactical
12-08-10, 17:23
I own the Large BCM CH and I love the overall function of the design. The only issue I have with it is that it does pinch the skin on the hand if you are not wearing gloves. I contacted Bravo Company and made the suggestion to redesign the latch to prevent this. However I took it upon myself to modify the handle. If you look and the post from Hmac you can see what I was speaking of and how to fix the issue. IT WORKS, now only if BCM would make this mod.

ErikTaylor
12-08-10, 20:34
I have the Mod 3 and it's still running strong. After several hundred one handed racks. They are a great upgrade. I have broken charging handles from standard ones all the way up to the PRI's. These are good to go.

Also if you have medium/large hands I would go with the Mod 3.

sff70
12-08-10, 22:10
Been using a mod 4 since they came out.

Like it a lot, and recommend it to others.

CoryCop25
12-08-10, 22:24
I think that the Gunfighter CH is something that should be standard equipment on any serous user's AR. They are robust and rock solid. I have Mod 4s on my fighting guns and a Mod 3 on my 6.8 with a scope. If they made one for the S&W M&P 15-22 I would have it on that one too....:D (????Paul????)

Antoine
12-08-10, 22:24
Very nice upgrade. A must if you do a lot of drills and shooting classes. I bought the prototype for hapf the price on Bravocompanyusa. Too bad they are all sold out.

PrarieDog
12-09-10, 00:36
Hmac listed about the only real drawback as it will pinch your hand. I have three of the handles. Well worth the money.

usmcvet
12-09-10, 00:39

I have a huge paw and the Medium works great for me. The large was too long for me, it poked me in the chest and caught on stuff. Sold it. I have four of the Mediums, they rock.

hunter123
12-09-10, 01:20
No problems with my Mod4.I love it.

Watrdawg
12-09-10, 07:17
Overall the design and quality of constgruction is very good. I only have one problem with it. When my weapon is slinged it hangs down with the stock on my right and the barrel pointing down to the left. Consequently the charging handle rest up against my body. When I'm wearing my chest rig the charging handle will come down on top of a magazine and the latch releases. Weapon comes out of battery just a touch and when you bring it up and pull the trigger, Click ! This happened 4-5 times in a class I took 3 weeks ago. I'm using the Mod4 Medium CH by the way. I may go to a Mod5 small CH.

RGoose
12-09-10, 10:06
Hmac listed about the only real drawback as it will pinch your hand. I have three of the handles. Well worth the money.
Really??? I must be doing something wrong, because I've never pinched my hand. :sarcastic:

I "tried" to pinch my hand last night and it took conscious effort and a slow pull of the handle. It's completely possible, the design does allow for skin to get pinched between the handle and the release mechanism. It's just unlikely for me (and I stress me) to have my hand pinched under normal use.

BR870
12-09-10, 20:48
Well I got my GF Mod4 in, but the wife won't let me have it until XMas... She says it's from her because she allowed me to get it. :sarcastic:

Hmac
12-09-10, 21:14
Really??? I must be doing something wrong, because I've never pinched my hand. :sarcastic:

I have three of them and they don't pinch me either. Any more.

In fact, I'd say it would be impossible to get pinched by any of mine. Now.