PDA

View Full Version : Larue Tactical Handstop vs. Gear Sector

Carcajou
11-30-10, 11:29
Has anyone done a direct comparison between these handstops? What are your experiences with either of these? I've had the AFG but it makes my grip circumference too wide for my hand so I was thinking switching to one of these could be what I'm looking for.

Larue Tactical
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/Handstop_2-piece_small.jpg

Gear Sector
http://www.gearsector.com/img/?filename=29714095e302b0749896f59a2be23452.jpg&width=200

jetspeed8
11-30-10, 13:13
I do not have any experience with either. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I have a VTAC handrail on mine and am looking forward to seeing if anyone can answer your question.

Belmont31R
11-30-10, 13:21
I use the Knights handstop on one gun but looking at those two Id go with the Gear Sector....the LaRue does not have any way to secure it to the rail so its held in place by putting something on the rail on either side of it. I wouldn't personally go for that.

NCPatrolAR
11-30-10, 13:24
I use a Danger Close Consulting handstop, but if I had to pick between the two shown........ gear sector.

mildot
11-30-10, 13:25
Gear Sector kit is "bullet proof"
Running the hand stop on the SCAR, however its to early to tell if I like over the tangodown stubby? Cheers

badness
11-30-10, 13:25
i have no experience with either of them, but judging from the pics posted in the this thread, looks like the gear sector one is better no? It has a screw that will prevent it from moving. The larue one looks like there's nothing to keep it from sliding around which is very odd to me.

sadmin
11-30-10, 13:30
another vote for gear sector. its bomb proof and has a lower profile.

kdcgrohl
11-30-10, 13:32
No personal experience with either but I do have 3 KAC's.
I believe the Larue's are designed to be secured with their index clips or other rail panel. Of the two choices, I'd pick the GearSector based on the quality of Jason's other products I have.

45r
11-30-10, 13:38
I picked up a Gear Sector handstop from SKD recently and its very well built. I love the low profile and its machined very well.

PatEgan
11-30-10, 13:42
I have the LaRue handstops on my 5.56 rifle. They are designed to be held in place by very small, light weight stops you can purchase separately. I didn't buy the stops, but use them in conjunction with Magpul XTM panels, and they're fine. Even without them, they're tight on the rails, and it takes some pressure to move them. I love the handstops, they're very affordable, light weight (polymer) and when well placed, lock your hand in nicely.

Pat

vader
11-30-10, 14:06
I love my gear sector mount

http://m.flickr.com/photos/93596144@N00/5221228407/sizes/m/

Stickman
11-30-10, 17:07
I love my gear sector mount

http://m.flickr.com/photos/93596144@N00/5221228407/sizes/m/

Another vote thrown in for Gear Sector, great stuff, great guy.

Vader- Your Flickr settings won't allow that link to be shown.

cj5_dude
11-30-10, 17:16
I haven't used either, but the Larue system is meant to use two stops to lock your hand into place. So instead of just an actual stop your hand kinda wedges in between the two. You use the Larue tactical clips to keep them from sliding. I really like the clips, especially the ones designed to route wires along rail systems.

Stickman
11-30-10, 17:49
I haven't used either, but the Larue system is meant to use two stops to lock your hand into place.

Gear Sector introduced using two hand stops to lock your hand into position back when they first released their hand stops. I'm sure more companies will copy them as it gets more popular.

I tried using both, but for my shooting style one worked out better as I use it with 2 fingers on each side.

Skang
11-30-10, 18:29
I think LaRue Hand stop is one i was looking for. Love the design.

Very low profile, No bumps like any other brands. (when using ladder covers).

Just don't like the i have to use clips to hold in place.

**If you are only using ONE LaRue Hand-stop, I will buy other one for $13 shipped via PayPal**

Hapainwa
11-30-10, 19:01
Another vote for the GS. I've got a KAC on my personal gun, and will most likely dump my AFG from my duty weapon once I get a longer rail. I also like the flat side of the GS as it can be used as a hand stop or on a barricade. If I can't talk my co-worker out of one of his KAC stops, I'll go with the GS.

Carcajou
11-30-10, 19:09
thanks for the responses, I think the GS is the right one for me after reading the posts.

jasonhgross
11-30-10, 19:16
The GS was great quality, but I didnt find it that much of an improvement over just the rail since its so small (to my thumb high grip). I went back to my TD stubby on one rifle and nothing on my other.

Eric
11-30-10, 19:35
I have been using a Gear Sector one as well. I like the design and construction.

vader
11-30-10, 20:56
Another vote thrown in for Gear Sector, great stuff, great guy.

Vader- Your Flickr settings won't allow that link to be shown.

sorry my computer skills are lacking. here is the photo.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/5221228407_4d32c6984f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93596144@N00/5221228407/)

Skang
11-30-10, 21:00
:oops: double post.

Skang
11-30-10, 21:02
lol, tacticool paint job on fingers?:laugh:

G/S should make slim version that can match with ladder cover style. Then i'd buy it.

Looks like Danger Close Consulting handstop is the winner for me.:D

vader
11-30-10, 21:32
nope. those would be tattoos haha

payj
11-30-10, 21:38
I am very close to buying the Gear Sector one. It is low profile just like the sling adapter he makes, which I already own. So they will look nice together. I think it aesthetically looks better too.

be1498
12-01-10, 00:32
I bought both the Gear Sector hand stop and G2 mount. Love both, would buy either one again! Great product, great service from Jason.

rob_s
12-01-10, 04:23
I don't have a Larue, but I do have two Gear Sectors and like them for the way I use them. I don't think I could do this with the Larue.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/300BLKCTR.jpg

rob_s
12-01-10, 04:25
For those wanting to attach to the Troy/VTAC and other round-tube systems, look for the product from Mount-N-Slot. Much better application than attaching a rail section just to attach a hand stop.

Dave_M
12-01-10, 04:56
Haven't gotten to play with the LT hand stops yet. I have 3 KAC and 1 Gear Sector though. The Gear Sector has a slightly lower profile but nothing I notice. The KAC comes with a QD swivel (I don't use the mount on the hand stop itself but the swivels come in handy).

dalaubon
12-01-10, 10:05
For those wanting to attach to the Troy/VTAC and other round-tube systems, look for the product from Mount-N-Slot. Much better application than attaching a rail section just to attach a hand stop.

+1 for the Mount-N-Slot hand stops. I have one for the VTAC tube and MOE; they're both great.

Their sling mounts aren't too shabby either :D

Militant83
12-01-10, 10:14
id go for the gear sector if I was to be making the purchase

d90king
12-01-10, 10:17
I am in a similar situation looking for the "right" hand stop... I asked a couple guys that are SME's and they unanimously recommended the Danger Close hand stop. They look like they will serve there purpose well and are small, light and take up very little space...

You might want to check them out... YMMV

JTrusty
12-01-10, 16:18
G/S should make slim version that can match with ladder cover style. Then i'd buy it.

Not possible if you want a robust mounting system. Ours are as low profile as possible and still be bomb proof.

3 gunners are running ours ( flat side toward the front ) and literally slamming them into barricades to stabilize their shots.

That said, we designed ours to fit flush with Tango Down rail panels for an uninterrupted rail space like so:

http://photos.gearsector.com/galleries/Carbine%20Images/00.jpg

They are best used in pairs to bracket the hand or in tandem with a VFG like pictured above.

The contour we provide on one side is ideal for indexing your support hand in the webbing between your thumb and index finger when used at the 3 or 9 o'clock rail. A bottom mounted stop can be used facing either direction depending on your intentions. Front mounted to prevent losing a digit on a SBR or rear mounted as the secondary point for bracketing your hand.

scjbash
12-02-10, 04:49
I am in a similar situation looking for the "right" hand stop... I asked a couple guys that are SME's and they unanimously recommended the Danger Close hand stop. They look like they will serve there purpose well and are small, light and take up very little space...

You might want to check them out... YMMV

I've decided to try out hand stops, and I think I've decided to go with Danger Close and Gear Sector. I'm going to put the Danger Close at 6 o'clock because it looks like it would be better for pulling against. The contour of the Gear Sector looks better suited for the web of the hand, so I'll run them at 3 and 9 o'clock.

yellowv
12-02-10, 11:03
I would go gear sector. I use an IWC handstop on mine as I run a MOE handguard and prefer it to an AFG or FVG.