PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal? 1911 Slide question *UPDATE*

sacmaster
11-30-10, 12:26
*UPDATE*
I sent the gun back to Colt in early February, and I just got it back today. They seem to have replaced the slide with a new one which looks good. The gun was also not properly ejecting unfired rounds (the nose of the bullet would catch on the front of the ejection port). This problem is now fixed, so I assume they tuned the extractor. It also looks like they polished the feedramp, as the pistol originally had trouble feeding some hollowpoints I had, although FMJ performed fine. Will find out when I shoot it. Finally, they fixed the idiot mark I put on the gun reassembling it one time. Total Cost: $0.00.

I am very pleased with Colt's service and wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
:big_boss:

I bought a new Colt Combat Elite last week, and yesterday I noticed a semi-circular indention or chip on top of the slide at the rear of the ejection port. I have scoured the web for pictures of the same area on other Colt XSEs and haven't been able to find one. Pictures I have found of other 1911s don't have this indention. I have called Colt customer service, and the girl gave me an email address, which I sent these pictures to. Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure Colt will respond appropriately, but I'm just curious.
Thanks

genegoesfast
11-30-10, 12:28
Nope. I've never seen anything like that on any 1911, nor can I think of a functionality reason for it being there.

Zhurdan
11-30-10, 12:46
A tip for you...
When taking pics up close like that... select the little flower looking icon on your camera (macro). It'll help to make them a bit sharper and in focus.

Oh, and I've never seen anything like that.

gabulldawg
11-30-10, 12:48
Pictures aren't great but it looks like a defect to me. I'm sure they will take care of you.

sacmaster
11-30-10, 12:55
Sorry about the pics. They were from my iphone. Camera decided to do a half gainer out of the duck blind.

BBossman
11-30-10, 16:23
It appears to be purely cosmetic, Colt will take care of it under warranty. Ask them for a call tag, box it up and include very specific description of any problems you are having. Might as well take it out and shoot to determine if there are any other issues you would like addressed.

Be prepared to wait...

sacmaster
11-30-10, 19:50
Got to the range just before sundown today and put a box of Blazer through it before it got too dark. Shot great without any hiccups. Hopefully I will get back to shoot a couple hundred rounds to break it in in the next few days. Depending on what Colt says, I'm not sure if I will bother sending it in.

MarshallDodge
11-30-10, 23:22
I am not sticking up for Colt but that is a cosmetic flaw and you shouldn't see any functioning issues from it.

If you plan on running the gun hard with a lot of holster time then I wouldn't worry about it but if it is going to be a safe queen or you are worried about collector value then send it back.

mike_556
12-01-10, 11:10
I am not sticking up for Colt but that is a cosmetic flaw and you shouldn't see any functioning issues from it.

If you plan on running the gun hard with a lot of holster time then I wouldn't worry about it but if it is going to be a safe queen or you are worried about collector value then send it back.

Fully agreed and what I was going to post, verbatim.....

ColdDeadHands
12-01-10, 16:13
I'd send it back for a new slide regardless if it was a shooter or a safe queen. Yes it would get marks and wear anyways if it was my gun but I want to be the one giving my gun character. That gun shouldn't have left the factory like that.
Is the gun accurate? Somebody in the 1911 forum had one that consistently shot 5- 6 inch groups at 25 yards (gun was in a ransom rest).

sacmaster
12-01-10, 16:36
I put 150 more rounds through it today without any malfunctions. It seems to be accurate, but I'm no Sundance. I didn't have any problems making a milk jug dance at 30 yards, due to a lack of any proper targets. Colt still hasn't responded to my email, but I am going to give them another day before I call again. Considering the price of the gun and the fact it is a somewhat limited model, I will most likely send it back to get unF'd. Thanks for all the replies.

d90king
12-01-10, 16:51
NOT normal and is defective. Call Colt and ask for a tag or give it to your selling dealer and get it replaced by Colt. Do not just send the slide, send the whole gun...

Did I miss somewhere wether it was like that when you picked it up and you just didn't notice it, or did that happen after you shot it?

sacmaster
12-01-10, 17:24
It was definitely like that when I bought it; just didn't notice until I got it home. I shot it to make sure there were no other obvious issues. I will call Colt again tomorrow and let them know I want to have them look at it.

jrmymiles
12-01-10, 18:09
First let me say that I love Colt's. Now having said that, I purchased a XSE that had a rear sight that looked liked it was installed by a monkey with a Dremel tool. The sight was in sturdy and the gun went bang every time. I got a heck of a deal on it because nobody wanted it. The qc dept must have been off that day. With Colt handguns I think quality is hit or miss these days.

tfltackdriver
12-13-10, 15:40
It is a sign of the poor QC that Colt is becoming famous for. It's not normal, nor would I accept that it's just cosmetic. If your slide has chipped there, where else is the metal defective? Or was it chipped during machining?

Doesn't matter. Call (don't email them).
"Good morning. I'm calling because my slide is chipped at the edge of the ejection port. I would like for you to mail me a shipping tag so I can return it for warranty repair."

Sit on them until they send you the tag to ship on their dime unless you've really gone out and banged out a few hundred rounds and it chipped. In that case, do what feels right, but send it back.

Be careful what you wish for, though. I had a poorly machined slide I returned. They made a new one that was absolutely butchered. It had the "monkey with a dremel" chew marks like this at the back of the slide. The sight index mark also looked like it had been double struck by an ape. And the front sight was canted. My second new slide is a work of art.

300WM
12-13-10, 17:25
It is a sign of the poor QC that Colt is becoming famous for. It's not normal, nor would I accept that it's just cosmetic. If your slide has chipped there, where else is the metal defective? Or was it chipped during machining?

This is sad news if it is true. I have always had great customer service with Colt, but have not had to use that dept. in some time, and I just sprung for a new 1911 GCT for my wife.

First America, now Colt. What's next?

sacmaster
12-14-10, 14:42
Just an update. I talked to Colt and emailed the pictures, and they sent me a call tag to return the gun. They said the factory would be closed for Christmas and new year's, so I am going to wait until after the first of the year to return it. They were very friendly and cooperative.

sacmaster
03-23-11, 19:21
*UPDATE*
I sent the gun back to Colt in early February, and I just got it back today. They seem to have replaced the slide with a new one which looks good. The gun was also not properly ejecting unfired rounds (the nose of the bullet would catch on the front of the ejection port). This problem is now fixed, so I assume they tuned the extractor. It also looks like they polished the feedramp, as the pistol originally had trouble feeding some hollowpoints I had, although FMJ performed fine. Will find out when I shoot it. Finally, they fixed the idiot mark I put on the gun reassembling it one time. Total Cost: $0.00.

wetidlerjr
03-24-11, 05:35
*UPDATE*
I sent the gun back to Colt in early February, and I just got it back today...Total Cost: $0.00.

Glad to hear it. Colt CS seems to be real good. My CE is a great pistol and I'm sure yours will now be one, too.