PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions....N4 Recce vs BCM

hammonje
11-30-10, 17:20
I am having difficulty in deciding which upper to purchase. I have the possibility to buy a nice Noveske 16" Recce at a fair price. I could also build one from a BCM midlength and get VTAC/Troy TRX 11" rails. Is there an advantage in the BC comp over the Vortex installed on the Noveske???? When you build you can pick and choose.

One last thing....is it worth it to get the 14.5" pinned or does it hurt resale???? I would prefer an SBR, but don't want the hoops. If it were more than a home defense rifle than I could justify a shorty.

My ignorance about these setups could cause me to make the wrong purchase. I want the rifle to be midlength, light, comfortable, and accurate. I'll plan on a Micro T-1 and 3X mag later.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you wish to share. I'm torn between the two.

500grains
11-30-10, 23:48
I have not owned a BCM but I am delighted with my N4, so I would certainly recommend one to you.

If you go with a 14.5, get it pinned. Going the SBR route for 1.5 inches of barrel length does not make much sense.

You also asked about Battlecomp vs. Vortex. Vortex is a very effective and rugged flash hider. Battlecomp is a break that hides flash about the same as an A2 flash hider. If you want to control recoil, get the BC. If you want to reduce flash at night, get the Vortex.

As for resale, don't worry about it. The market goes up and down and stuff goes in and out of fashion. Just get the gun which you feel suits your own needs.

PatrolRifleGroup
12-01-10, 06:35
You won't go wrong with either setup, I currently own a BCM and love it. My thought is that you would probably have an easier time re-selling the Noveske. If I was looking to build another BCM, I'd just buy new, especially at their prices. If you are getting the Noveske at a great price to begin with, chances are you'll get you money out, based on the name alone.

Most of my 16" guns are actually pinned 14.5's. I personally would steer clear of a comp if the rifle is to be used for duty or home defense. They are brutal to shoot indoors and can seriously mess up a co-worker's vision or hearing, if you ended up shooting in close proximity to them. I'm talking CQB stuff here. The vortex would be somewhat safer in these instances. Now, if this gun is for plinking at the range, get the BC. Good luck with the decision.

thopkins22
12-01-10, 10:42
Battlecomp is a break that hides flash about the same as an A2 flash hider.

While I think the Battlecomp is better than most brakes in the flash department, I wouldn't say it hides flash as well as an A2.

A video RetreatHell made shows the differences quite clearly. The ACR has a Battlecomp, my DDM4 has an A2, and I believe, that RetreatHell's BCM has a Surefire flash hider.

With that said, we're all running different ammo and in my experience that has damn near as much to do with flash/sparks as the FH/brake itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3IDH9FqjE

With that said, I'm still very impressed with the Battlecomp, and just as soon as they put one out that is truly compatible with a Gemtech Halo, I'll be all over one.

TonyTacoma
12-01-10, 10:52
I have a vortex and it snuffs out flash like a lead blanket, very efficient flash hider.

As everyone else says you can't go wrong either way, I'd tell you to get the Noveske because I like his products but BCM makes awesome stuff to. Flip a coin you'll be happy either way.

Cameron
12-01-10, 10:54
While I think the Battlecomp is better than most brakes in the flash department, I wouldn't say it hides flash as well as an A2.

You are right that video shows a dramatic difference between the Battle Comp and an A2.

Cameron

SteveL
12-01-10, 10:59
Most of my 16" guns are actually pinned 14.5's. I personally would steer clear of a comp if the rifle is to be used for duty or home defense. They are brutal to shoot indoors and can seriously mess up a co-worker's vision or hearing, if you ended up shooting in close proximity to them. I'm talking CQB stuff here. The vortex would be somewhat safer in these instances. Now, if this gun is for plinking at the range, get the BC. Good luck with the decision.

I haven't used one myself, but the BattleComp was designed with CQB in mind, and made specifically so it's not especially brutal on others who may be in close proximity. Everything I've read in the threads about it say it's very effective in this role.

hammonje
12-01-10, 13:38
Thanks everyone for the advice. Greatly appreciated.

I've decided to go the BCM route. Are there any disadvantages using the lightweight barrel???? How many rounds until heating causes POI changes????

Should I go with the lightweight barrel or govt profile?????

11B101ABN
12-01-10, 16:22
As a HD type weapon, it is unlikely that your rifle will be driven to the point where having a lightweight bbl would be a negative,