PDA

View Full Version : How good are the SIG .22 conversions?

ra2bach
12-01-10, 12:12
Just got an email from SIG - .22 cal conversions for P220,226,228/229 are on sale. $249.95 down from $375, shipping included.

I've been wanting a .22 to simulate action drills with my defensive caliber pistols and this would slide right on my P226. I know this doesn't hold the slide open on the last round but all the controls/holsters are same/same.

I know a couple of people who have them and they're very accurate. and spare mag availability is questionable. what do you think?

chriskc04
12-01-10, 17:53
Mags are expensive. The one I had for my old p226 was good, but ammo sensitive. It liked only Blazer and mini mags.

Only real complaint was that the mags didnt lock the slide back on empty.

If I still had the gun, I would have kept the conversion for SURE.

ra2bach
12-01-10, 19:34
Mags are expensive. The one I had for my old p226 was good, but ammo sensitive. It liked only Blazer and mini mags.

Only real complaint was that the mags didnt lock the slide back on empty.

If I still had the gun, I would have kept the conversion for SURE.

I know about the slide not locking back.

won't it feed Federal bulk ammo? I've got a little bit of that... :sarcastic:

do you think it's worth $250?

PPGMD
12-01-10, 19:40
Mine had no issue with Federal Bulk Pack. IMO if you run a Sig it's worth it.

gtmtnbiker98
12-01-10, 20:48
They are shit like everything else Sig makes, here's proof http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5680078132/p/1, although this is a Mosquito.

SkiDevil
12-01-10, 21:26
Peronally, I would pass.

I owned one and was not very impressed with it.

It worked, but to my mind wasn't what I thought it would be. The slide is not made of steel and the slide does not lock back after the magazine is empty.

If you want a .22 pistol for around $250 buy a Ruger Basic Mark III. A much better training tool with easier to find and cheaper magazines. The 4" Bull barrel model is pretty nice.

The Mosquito and the .22 Kits are two of the least desirable products Sig has made in my opinion.

Regards,
SkiDevil

chriskc04
12-02-10, 06:48
Depends on how much you plan to shoot it. I shot the snot out of mine.

I liked having the conversion rather than another pistol because I was trying to work with the same gun (grip, grip angle, trigger, controls) I shoot and carry. You know, that old "consistency" thing.

BTW- a conversion is NOT a mosquito. Apples and oranges there, my friend.

gtmtnbiker98
12-02-10, 06:53
Depends on how much you plan to shoot it. I shot the snot out of mine.

I liked having the conversion rather than another pistol because I was trying to work with the same gun (grip, grip angle, trigger, controls) I shoot and carry. You know, that old "consistency" thing.

BTW- a conversion is NOT a mosquito. Apples and oranges there, my friend.Still a current production fiasco.

PPGMD
12-02-10, 08:02
Still a current production fiasco.

Customer service yes, but the materials are different. The Sketters are made out of Zinc, which is known to crack and break (the Walther P22s have the same issue), the conversion kits are made out of aluminum.

The get a Ruger suggestion that someone else made is worthless if your goal is to work on your trigger on your current platform. The Ruger trigger pull is very different from the Sig DA/SA trigger pull.

Personally I've shot the snot out of my 22 Classic P229, no issues what so ever, other than having to zero it to my ammo. I've run Remington and Federal Bulk pack through it with no issue. In fact that is a bonus to me, as the Remington bulk pack is common here, and I want to save the harder to find Federal for my Spikes ST-22 conversion, which doesn't like Remington.

ra2bach
12-02-10, 22:17
They are shit like everything else Sig makes, here's proof http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5680078132/p/1, although this is a Mosquito.

that's a bit rough. are these the same as the mosquito?

ra2bach
12-02-10, 22:20
Peronally, I would pass.

I owned one and was not very impressed with it.

It worked, but to my mind wasn't what I thought it would be. The slide is not made of steel and the slide does not lock back after the magazine is empty.

If you want a .22 pistol for around $250 buy a Ruger Basic Mark III. A much better training tool with easier to find and cheaper magazines. The 4" Bull barrel model is pretty nice.

The Mosquito and the .22 Kits are two of the least desirable products Sig has made in my opinion.

Regards,
SkiDevil

thanks, but I already have other .22 pistols. I wanted this to run on my P226 for cheaper practice, manipulation drills, etc...

PPGMD
12-03-10, 07:18
that's a bit rough. are these the same as the mosquito?

No they aren't, different design, and different materials. As I mentioned above the Sketter is made out of Zinc, which is know to crack, and break (the Walther P22 slide is made out of the same material, and has the same issue). While the conversion kits are made out of aluminum.

ra2bach
12-03-10, 12:12
No they aren't, different design, and different materials. As I mentioned above the Sketter is made out of Zinc, which is know to crack, and break (the Walther P22 slide is made out of the same material, and has the same issue). While the conversion kits are made out of aluminum.

thanks for the reply. I already have other .22 pistols but I was interested in something to extend my training on centerfire pistols and since no one makes a .22 conversion for the M&P...

SkiDevil
12-03-10, 15:49
thanks, but I already have other .22 pistols. I wanted this to run on my P226 for cheaper practice, manipulation drills, etc...

After using the .22 conversion Kit, that was my opinion. If you truly want the experience of using the 226 at a reduced cost. Then relaoding is the best way.

You can reload a box of 50 9mm FMJ rounds for almost half what factory ammo costs.

I spent over $400.00 for the Conversion Kit plus extra magazines, then used it for several months. It was pretty reliable with CCI mini-mags but not as much with other brands.

After using it, I found that it wasn't for me. I much prefer using a standard .22 pistol, particularly a revolver. But I am only a sample of one.

If you have the cash buy one, and try-it out. That's the only way you will really know if it's for you.

I do not have the time anymore, but I used to train work as a Firearms instructor.

The most practical teaching/ learning tool I (have) found is the .22 pistol/ revolver.

Will it have the exact same controls/ maual of arms as your duty/ carry gun? No, but it is the basis for improving skills which will carry-over to your defenisve pistol of choice.

Good Luck,
SkiDevil