PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a barrel...

Vern
12-01-10, 17:37
I am looking for a barrel for my new build and thought I would check in here for a little help. I have several ARs and want one that I use for rapid fire with C-mags and cheap ammo. I want one with carbine length hand guards to put on a KAC RAS and Grip-pod that I already have. I am leaning toward a HBAR because of high volume fire. Bushmaster has their 16" HBAR with everything for $175, this seems hard to beat. http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=7

Any other ideas???

5pins
12-01-10, 20:31
How much “high volume fire” are we talking about? In any case bushmaster would be one of the last barrels I would consider. Spend a little more money and get a better barrel. Take a look at BCM and Daniel Defense. Look around this site a bit and you will see what I’m talking about.

Col_Crocs
12-01-10, 20:58
I agree with 5pins.
Is this going on a select-fire lower? Since you have a RAS you want to use, the Noveske N4 Carbine barrel would be my choice but I think they only come as full uppers.
Ive seen a standard pencil barrel live through a fullauto Cmag dump though so any standard barrel from DD or BCM should be more than sufficient, let alone their hammer forged ones.

Biggy
12-01-10, 21:22
The BCM M4 SOCOM barrel would work well.

bp7178
12-01-10, 23:42
I'm very happy with my Daniel Defense hammer forged barrel. Any chrome lined barrel will take tons of abuse, add hammer forging and you're in the money.

I try to match componets, if I had a DD upper receiver, I would try to use a DD barrel with a DD bolt carrier. Building from parts can be done, but one of the tricks I've learned, be it computers, rifles or anything, is that parts from the same maker tend to play nice with each other.

That being said DD, Noveske, BCM are who I would look toward.

HBARs aren't needed. SOCOM profile barrels can fit the bill fine.

DD has a really nice S2W profile that they are making their 6.8mm barrels in. I REALLY hope they expand that to 5.56. I would grab one in a heartbeat. A DD hammer forged S2W 16" mid-length. Perfect.

Vern
12-02-10, 00:05
I have a BCM upper and I am very happy with it. I will check their site as I did not know that they made a SOCOM profile barrel, that sounds like it might be the ticket.
Why is the bushmaster barrel bad? It is 4150 and chrome lined, I have had one for 12 years and never had a problem.

Vern
12-02-10, 00:07
Ok, I checked Bravo Company, they are out of stock on the SOCOM uppers and barrels. Does anyone elso make SOCOM profile barrels?

Col_Crocs
12-02-10, 05:21
I have a BCM upper and I am very happy with it. I will check their site as I did not know that they made a SOCOM profile barrel, that sounds like it might be the ticket.
Why is the bushmaster barrel bad? It is 4150 and chrome lined, I have had one for 12 years and never had a problem.

It's kind of a hit or miss thing for them. Some are ok, some (many even) are not. Bushies tend to have tight chambers and larger gas ports, which, I have personally experienced on an old upper. Their barrels and bolts are also batch tested.

Vern
12-02-10, 11:46
It's kind of a hit or miss thing for them. Some are ok, some (many even) are not. Bushies tend to have tight chambers and larger gas ports, which, I have personally experienced on an old upper. Their barrels and bolts are also batch tested.

I have never liked their bolts and have replaced them in both of my Bushmasters, but I have owned about five bushmasters over the years and all have been accurate and reliable. I think I may have gotten lucky.

I like the BCM SOCOM but wish I could find something like it in 1/9 twist.

I have several thousad+ rounds of Wolf 55grn FMJ and some C-mags so I am hoping to find a chrome lined 1/9 with a mid to heavy profile and carbine hand-guards.

Do you think that the Rock River barrel with the CL would be better than the Bushmaster?

Eric D.
12-02-10, 12:15
1/7 twist will do you fine with 55gr bullets, just don't go any lighter.

I like the BCM SOCOM but wish I could find something like it in 1/9 twist.

I have several thousad+ rounds of Wolf 55grn FMJ and some C-mags so I am hoping to find a chrome lined 1/9 with a mid to heavy profile and carbine hand-guards.

5pins
12-02-10, 12:31
The 1/7 will shoot anything you want. Read this thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=67792

Militant83
12-02-10, 12:49
Check out centurian arms and LMT as well they have many options in the hammer forged barrels.

Col_Crocs
12-02-10, 17:37
LMT Makes hammer forged barrels now?
My first carbine had a heavy profile M4 RR barrel. It ate everything I fed it so in that sense it was good. Im not familiar with RR specs though so I do not know how close or how far they are from the TDP. That said, even close doesnt quite cut it. TDP adherence should be your bare minimum and a more important consideration over a heavy profile for your intended use.
Lets back up a bit though... WHat BCM upper do you currently have, Vern? What do you use it for? How about you use that instead and just get yourself another BCM, DD or Centurion midlength to replace its role? I understand you have a RAS you'd like to use but if it limits your options too much, you may want to hold off on using it. Maybe even sell it to fund a good upper config from the above mentioned brands. Just my 2 cents.

Iraqgunz
12-03-10, 00:32
With BM barrels, you are almost guaranteed to get one that is overgassed (port size), is 1/9 twist, has a tight chamber and hasn't been HP/MPI tested. There are other barrels out there that are better.

As far as doing Beta mag dumps that's just plain silly and I wouldn't use that criteria for selecting a barrel.

Vern
12-03-10, 12:03
LMT Makes hammer forged barrels now?
My first carbine had a heavy profile M4 RR barrel. It ate everything I fed it so in that sense it was good. Im not familiar with RR specs though so I do not know how close or how far they are from the TDP. That said, even close doesnt quite cut it. TDP adherence should be your bare minimum and a more important consideration over a heavy profile for your intended use.
Lets back up a bit though... WHat BCM upper do you currently have, Vern? What do you use it for? How about you use that instead and just get yourself another BCM, DD or Centurion midlength to replace its role? I understand you have a RAS you'd like to use but if it limits your options too much, you may want to hold off on using it. Maybe even sell it to fund a good upper config from the above mentioned brands. Just my 2 cents.

I have the middy 16" with and ACOG I love it. I see that BCM makes a 16" SOCOM I think this would be the ticket but it is out of stock.

I do not think that BCM sells complete barrel assemblies so I would have to buy a upper assembly that is a little weak but not a deal breaker.

Centurian any YHM only seem to sell the barrel stripped with no front sight or handguard cap that is lame and puts them out of the running.

Vern
12-03-10, 12:13
With BM barrels, you are almost guaranteed to get one that is overgassed (port size), is 1/9 twist, has a tight chamber and hasn't been HP/MPI tested. There are other barrels out there that are better.

As far as doing Beta mag dumps that's just plain silly and I wouldn't use that criteria for selecting a barrel.

My plan in to use the rifle as a high rate of fire weapon much like the automatic rifleman position in a fire team, I do not plan to do Beta dump only or regularly but it needs to be able to take a very high rate of fire more so than a regular M4 type. What is so "silly" about that?

5pins
12-03-10, 13:17
Is this a fun gun or a serious weapon?

Vern
12-03-10, 14:01
Is this a fun gun or a serious weapon?

Fun gun and serious weapon. That is why I am just going to wait until the BCM SOCOM is back in stock and go with that.

Vern
12-03-10, 14:03
The BCM M4 SOCOM barrel would work well.

Thanks biggy! I did not even know this was made, it is just what I was looking for.

Col_Crocs
12-03-10, 17:56
Centurion does offer a pinned gas block or FSB option.
http://centurionarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=45&category_id=19&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=133
As mention above, Noveske also offers a 14.5 carbine upper which would allow you to use your RAS.
These two brands would be my pick. Their barrels are made of use machine gun barrel steel and will hold up just as well, if not better, under heavy fire without the additional weight.
SMGLee's video in another thread:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SMGLee?feature=mhum#p/u/4/Gfdsfb-8MTw

crazymoose
12-03-10, 18:01
I am looking for a barrel for my new build and thought I would check in here for a little help. I have several ARs and want one that I use for rapid fire with C-mags and cheap ammo. I want one with carbine length hand guards to put on a KAC RAS and Grip-pod that I already have. I am leaning toward a HBAR because of high volume fire. Bushmaster has their 16" HBAR with everything for $175, this seems hard to beat. http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=7

Any other ideas???

You're basically trying to make the rifle do something it was not designed to do. My first choice would be something like an RPK, but if I were dead set on an AR, I'd go with something like a Colt LMG upper.

aflin
12-03-10, 21:34
I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been said yet, but Sabre Defense makes superb barrels. While their AR's aren't exactly top on the "chart", their barrels are some of the best.

Iraqgunz
12-05-10, 03:54
Do I really have to answer that? Most especially since your weapon isn't auto AFAIK. I have already explained the cons if getting a BM barrel and why your selection criteria are flawed. You now have the power in your hands, use it wisely.

My plan in to use the rifle as a high rate of fire weapon much like the automatic rifleman position in a fire team, I do not plan to do Beta dump only or regularly but it needs to be able to take a very high rate of fire more so than a regular M4 type. What is so "silly" about that?

Vern
02-10-11, 19:04
Well... I finally got it together, I bought a Sabre 1/7 18" fluted barrel from PK Firearms. I used the YHM low-pro gas block and 12" YHM lightweight quad rail and topped it off with an ELCAN 3.4X M145 scope, and a BCM BCG. Thanks for all the help! I am happy I was talked out of the Bushmaster barrel. :D

Hop
02-10-11, 21:45
Well... I finally got it together, I bought a Sabre 1/7 18" fluted barrel from PK Firearms. I used the YHM low-pro gas block and 12" YHM lightweight quad rail and topped it off with an ELCAN 3.4X M145 scope, and a BCM BCG. Thanks for all the help! I am happy I was talked out of the Bushmaster barrel. :D

Did you see the Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrels on PK's site? I have one but got it a bit cheaper than their price.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/Colt_Barrels/101/c

As I said, I have one but haven't shot it yet so hope I got a good one.

Vern
02-10-11, 22:28
Did you see the Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrels on PK's site? I have one but got it a bit cheaper than their price.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/Colt_Barrels/101/c

As I said, I have one but haven't shot it yet so hope I got a good one.

I saw that...that is awesome, I hope they are not sold out when payday comes around.:eek: