PDA

View Full Version : GPS units

M4Fundi
12-02-10, 02:29
Anyone have experience with this unit? Pros/Cons?

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=30785&section=10741

I've always used Garmin, but my eTrex has finally died and I'm playing catch up on the new technology.

Hmac
12-02-10, 10:13
Best GPS unit I've used has been an iPhone and/or iPad with MotionX GPS and MotionX Drive. That's about $5 worth of software for tracks, turn-by-turn voice, all the usual stuff, plus satellite maps, and has the advantage of being able to also update position by wi-fi and/or cell phone triangulation in addition to regular GPS. My Garmins sit on a shelf now, except for the 5watt GMRS Rino, which is still useful because of the position updating for your buddies. That works great for hunting, and snowmobiling in the mountains and can't be duplicated by the iPad or iPhone.

Suwannee Tim
12-02-10, 15:02
I have two of the PN-40s. Two because one croaked a couple of days before a trip and I had to buy a replacement. DeLorme fixed the broken unit free even though it was out of warranty. They are impressive in performance and the software is very powerful though time consuming to learn. You can buy and download overhead imagery and maps of various kinds, the subscription costs are reasonable. DO NOT put the batteries in bass ackwards.:sad:

M4Fundi
12-02-10, 17:59
Thanks!