PDA

View Full Version : Mesa tactical shell holder mod.

Dos Cylindros
12-02-10, 11:09
First off, I would like to say that this was not my idea. I learned about it from another forum but thought I would pass it on as it worked very well.

For those of us who have Mesa Tactical shell holders, we all know that the elastomer retention band that holds the shells in place can get worn in, or out and the shells start to slip out very easily. This is easily fixed by taking the unit off the gun, taking it apart and removing the elastomer tube and running a small length of 14 ga. electrical wire down the tube. Put the tube back in the shell holder and slap it back on the gun. No more loose shells, and retention is vastly improved. Sorry for not having pics.

Dennis
12-02-10, 16:42
I recently fixed mine by removing the rubber tubing and replacing it with R/C car fuel tubing that is of a much higher quality material. Retention is better than original and the tubing should take much, much longer to take a set or lose elasticity, if at all.

I am not sure of the exact size, take your original tube down to the local hobby store to see what size you need. It should only cost a few bucks! Make sure you get silicone tubing.

I had some of this tubing lying around because it was recommended years ago as material to create AR extractor O-rings. O rings cut out of this material served very well for many years of classes and thousands of rounds in my AR's before being replaced with official super duper "Crane" O-rings for no special reason other than I bought some because of the packaging. Regardless, my specific tubing had been lying around, unsealed, for like 8+ years and it still feels as new.

Dennis.