PDA

View Full Version : First AR - advice

bornhunter04
12-02-10, 13:38
Okay guys i'm new to the site, i've been looking at it awhile now reading and learning, but now i'm almost ready to buy my first AR. I have a complete RRA lower that this thing is going on so all i need is a complete upper or the parts to build one. I'm looking to build a tactical semi-kiss carbine. My plan is to put a leupold ar 1.5-4 on top with a larue qd mount, light and vertical grip on it, i'm wanting to use this for self-defense (SHTF)/coyote hunting (inside 200 yards - my .308 will handle the longer shots ;) ) Anyway.....

I'm a lefty and i've shot right-handed ar's before and never had a problem with them. However i'm not very keen on getting gas/powder/brass thrown past my face. Also, it seems to me that it'd be a little bit easier to clear weapon malfunctions with a left handed ar using the same techniques that right handed users can use but reversed, am i wrong here?

So here are my options, stag left-handed model, i've seen the noveske rifles too but those might be out of my price range..... Also, i've been considering a piston driven ar as well, either stag or an adams arms upper, so before this starts getting slammed with why pistons are so bad, my real question about them is what's the reliability on them? Round counts issues everything..... I like the idea of having the gas vented out front of the gun instead of inside the receiver next to my face. I like the fact that adams arms uses stainless steel parts since then you don't have to worry about anything locking up which i know as long as you keep it oiled it'll be fine but "murphy" still exists. Has anyone used these systems? If i go that route it'll be with their complete upper. I've read the threads on why DI is better than piston so I don't really want to hear all that again, it's enough to make your head spin. I know that if you take care of your gear it'll take care of you. What i'm looking for is real advice from people that have owned, own, or have used the stag's and the adam's arms systems. I know there are better higher dollar rifles out there, these are what fall into the budget i'm looking at so just let me know what ya'll think and thanks in advance.

Eric D.
12-02-10, 14:15
Sounds like a 16" bbl will do you fine, are you looking for a midlength or carbine gas system? I would strongly recommend hoarding a few extra bucks and looking at the Noveske. The only thing I see a problem with in the lefty upper is the availability of parts.

As far as piston guns go, there isn't enough available data to conclusively comment on their reliability. They are generally more expensive and use proprietary (hard to find) parts. Rob S. has a good article on Piston guns on his site. With a properly gassed gun, especially a midlenth, I think you'd be surprised at how little gas is actually blown in your face.

Okay guys i'm new to the site, i've been looking at it awhile now reading and learning, but now i'm almost ready to buy my first AR. I have a complete RRA lower that this thing is going on so all i need is a complete upper or the parts to build one. I'm looking to build a tactical semi-kiss carbine. My plan is to put a leupold ar 1.5-4 on top with a larue qd mount, light and vertical grip on it, i'm wanting to use this for self-defense (SHTF)/coyote hunting (inside 200 yards - my .308 will handle the longer shots ;) ) Anyway.....

I'm a lefty and i've shot right-handed ar's before and never had a problem with them. However i'm not very keen on getting gas/powder/brass thrown past my face. Also, it seems to me that it'd be a little bit easier to clear weapon malfunctions with a left handed ar using the same techniques that right handed users can use but reversed, am i wrong here?

So here are my options, stag left-handed model, i've seen the noveske rifles too but those might be out of my price range..... Also, i've been considering a piston driven ar as well, either stag or an adams arms upper, so before this starts getting slammed with why pistons are so bad, my real question about them is what's the reliability on them? Round counts issues everything..... I like the idea of having the gas vented out front of the gun instead of inside the receiver next to my face. I like the fact that adams arms uses stainless steel parts since then you don't have to worry about anything locking up which i know as long as you keep it oiled it'll be fine but "murphy" still exists. Has anyone used these systems? If i go that route it'll be with their complete upper. I've read the threads on why DI is better than piston so I don't really want to hear all that again, it's enough to make your head spin. I know that if you take care of your gear it'll take care of you. What i'm looking for is real advice from people that have owned, own, or have used the stag's and the adam's arms systems. I know there are better higher dollar rifles out there, these are what fall into the budget i'm looking at so just let me know what ya'll think and thanks in advance.

lethal dose
12-02-10, 14:30
Personally, I'd skip the lefty upper... parts are less common (like bolts). Also, a lower quality weapon (like stag) only batch tests and utilizes (usually) lower grade metals. My best friend is a lefty and runs a standard upper with no problems. A lot of my training lately has also been left handed and I have had little issue with malf clearance and weapon manipulation. If you are truely wanting this for shtf or sd/hd, consider the workmanship and materials of the firearm carefully... it makes a difference. Like I said, I think a standard ar works great for lefties... and at the added cost and lower availability of lefty parts, I would just run a standard and be happy. When I use eye pro (and I ALWAYS do), I have never had any issues with powder, gas, or brass.

bornhunter04
12-02-10, 15:47
Illinois minimum barrel length is 16 inches, so that's what it'll be, and i can't run a suppressor here either, what are the benefits of a mid-length gas system over a carbine or vice versa? I'm trying to keep this gun light too, so i won't be hanging a bunch of goodies all over it just a light.

500grains
12-02-10, 16:56
Good quality AR15s generally:

BCM
Colt
Daniel Defense
KAC
LMT
Noveske

Eric D.
12-02-10, 18:08
There's numerous threads on different gas systems. The main differences with the midlength are (subjective) less recoil, lower operating pressure, less wear on parts. The only practical advantage is the midlength handguards being 2" in longer - Some people like having more space to put their hand out further. For light weight, carbine is a better option, especially since you're only mounting a light.

Illinois minimum barrel length is 16 inches, so that's what it'll be, and i can't run a suppressor here either, what are the benefits of a mid-length gas system over a carbine or vice versa? I'm trying to keep this gun light too, so i won't be hanging a bunch of goodies all over it just a light.

Militant83
12-02-10, 18:13
Unless you are dead set on the lefty upper id stick with the right hand upper. I too shoot left hand and I have shot right hand uppers for years in training and combat situations and have never had an issue with it.

Militant83
12-02-10, 18:14
and welcome to the board as well.

Tactical Joke
12-02-10, 20:47
I shot left for many years with AR's and didn't really have problems. Every so often, I'd catch a little "gas face", but nothing that prevented me from hitting my targets if I did my part. Lots of lefty Soldiers and Marines have poked holes in bad guys with "righty" carbines and rifles.

FWIW, though I primarily shoot right handed now, I have zero problems when I practice wrong handed.

Fire_Medic
12-02-10, 21:01
http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/carbine-vs-mid-length-gas-system

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/which-carbine-is-more-accurate

Welcome to the board :D

Fr3EK
12-02-10, 21:05
personally I would stick to the regular right hand upper along the lines of maybe daniel defense or BCM :)

richdkim77
12-05-10, 06:40
I'm a lefty rifle shooter, and I've never had any issues shooting a "normal" upper. I don't think I've ever felt there was anymore gas or brass blowing back in my face. Maybe you should shoot more with the righty uppers to get a better feel of them. I've never owned a lefty upper because of the availabity of parts and a price premium.

I do wish there were more complete ambi lowers such as KAC on the market, but I do realize that those kinds of ambi controls command a premium.

There are a few benefits on being a left shooter though. You don't have to spend any money on BAD levers. ;)

SeaDutyMarine
12-21-10, 21:33
If you are looking at not putting too much $$ into it, DSArms has a M4 upper assy with 16in barrel and M4 feed ramps for $275. (No bolt carrier assy or charging handle). Also, CDNN has a few parts including a piston upgrade kit for $189. I am also new to the "black rifle" community and maybe the other gents on this forum can lead you in the right direction. I'm just a rookie AR owner.

DSA Upper:
http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver---DSZM4CBU/productinfo/DSZM4CBU/

CDNN Piston Kit:
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar16calerega.html

Whootsinator
12-21-10, 21:39
If you are looking at not putting too much $$ into it, DSArms has a M4 upper assy with 16in barrel and M4 feed ramps for $275. (No bolt carrier assy or charging handle). Also, CDNN has a few parts including a piston upgrade kit for $189. I am also new to the "black rifle" community and maybe the other gents on this forum can lead you in the right direction. I'm just a rookie AR owner.

DSA Upper:
http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver---DSZM4CBU/productinfo/DSZM4CBU/

CDNN Piston Kit:
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar16calerega.html

I mean no offense, but you are definitely a rookie... When you admit this, I generally would spend more time reading before offering advice on a forum that specializes on AR-15 pattern rifles. You won't find many here that would support your recommendations.

Check out some of the stickies to get some of info you're missing.

Iraqgunz
12-22-10, 04:13
I won't get into the left handed/ right handed thing, because I am right handed and what works for me, may not work for you.

However, this subject has been 6895 about one hundred times.

Don't buy cheap garbage. There is no reason for it, especially in todays market.

500grains
12-22-10, 08:09

A lot of people will encourage you to learn to shoot a right handed rifle, and their view has merit. Your concerns have merit as well. So, assuming that you will be seeking a lefty:

Noveske will build/sell you a combat-quality LEFT HANDED AR-15 with either a cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel or a polygonal-rifled precision stainless barrel.

Personally I have NOT owned a Stag, but there are too many stories out there about them not running properly for me to have confidence in them. There is also The Chart. Noveskes are expensive for a reason: They are really good.

Here is an example left handed Noveske:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=207047023

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/207047000/207047023/pix634008153.jpg

Noveske: www.noveskerifleworks.com

marco.g
12-22-10, 18:39
You dont need a lefty upper to do right handed things on an AR15. Gas doesnt go in your face and brass doesnt hit you. All the controls are on the lower, so an ambi selector and mag catch would solve those issues. The bolt catch is advantageous in its stock form for leftys. I run my ar completely in stock form as far as controls go. the only thing i really am considering is a ambi mag release.

bornhunter04
12-26-10, 19:25
Thanks for all of the input guys, i just pulled the trigger on the smartgunner.com deal, so i'll be anxious to get my rifle put together, now to buy a ambi, safety and ambi mag release! Maybe, i'll look into a noveske at a future date, but for now i think i made the right choice. Now the question i have to find the answer too is an optic, i'm dead set on a 1-4 optic, my AO is a rural environment and i want to use the gun for shooting coyotes too so i figure this will fill all of the needed roles. I'm looking for a good quality optic in the 5-600 range, any advice? I like the look of the vortx viper pst except for the turrets not being capped, this is not a long range weapon, so i dont feel the need to dial in my shots, i can use kentucky windage for the ranges i'll be using this gun for, i have a bolt action 308 with a mark 4 for long shots! but anyway i digress, are there any truth's to the 2011 model viper pst having capped turrets?