PDA

View Full Version : Throw lever optic mount question.

ghostman1960
12-02-10, 15:11
I just got a ADM mount that tightens down on the rails with a QD throw lever. I took it off last night and noticed that it took the finish off of the rail where it was mounted.

I have a few mounts that bolt on with a cross bolt and have never had them do that. Is it common for a throw lever type mount to remove the finish from the rail?

Skyyr
12-02-10, 15:15
Yep. All QD mounts can/will do this eventually. The only ones that don't are the Bobro mounts.

ucrt
12-02-10, 15:59
Yep. All QD mounts can/will do this eventually. The only ones that don't are the Bobro mounts.

===========================

I've never noticed the ADM's taking my finish off (or at least very much finish) and I've taken my T-1 mounts off probably 30+ times.

Skyyr
12-02-10, 16:11
===========================

I've never noticed the ADM's taking my finish off (or at least very much finish) and I've taken my T-1 mounts off probably 30+ times.

The ADM's do it the least (of the ones that do), but they will still show over time.

KentuckyWindage
12-02-10, 16:53
The ADM's do it the least (of the ones that do), but they will still show over time.

My ADM mount has took the finish of my rail also, but I could care less. ;)

ALCOAR
12-02-10, 17:00
I prob. QD'd various ADM mounts in the thousands from across their product line and I do not have any noticible marks.

As with any two metals that meet with any little bit of friction and tension, the mount and top of the rail surface will leave what some might term as "witness marks"(like scope ring witness marks) but there should be no gouging, serious marring, scratching, or otherwise wearing excessively of the ano finishing.

Larue's will indeed mar the underside of the rail where the lever burnishes the rail due the design.

eta...if you indeed have excessive wear on the top surface of the receiver/rail then you do not have the mount securely fastened. Even though these QD mounts are indeed QD, it should be a PITA in my exp. to remove with the naked hand. I actually button my ADM glass mounts so that I have to use a piece of parachute rigging cord to assist in opening them back up...very easy to do but I could prob. not ever get them open with my fingers if I wanted to use those said fingers ever again:)

ryan
12-02-10, 17:03
Larue's may scratch my upper, but they dang sure dont come loose, wiggle, or lose their zero which is all I care about.

ALCOAR
12-02-10, 17:04
Larue's may scratch my upper, but they dang sure dont come loose, wiggle, or lose their zero which is all I care about.

Just like ADM's and Bobro's;)

ryan
12-02-10, 17:06
Just like ADM's and Bobro's;)

True, they make great mounts too, but they do not have the "dust" :D

gigag04
12-02-10, 17:06
I've had Larue's mounts and VGs scratch uppers, but who cares. It's a fighting weapon. I also gets scratched when clearing a house and going prone...

Belmont31R
12-02-10, 18:10
I can't really believe people care about this. Even with a LaRue the most you'll get a couple tiny spots even after repeated use.

If all you did all day was take the mount on and off it could be an issue in a year or something. Even though these mounts are QD it doesn't mean the purpose of them is to be taken on and off repeatedly for no reason.

I have a hard time believing people actually use their guns if they are worried about the possibility of a little bright spot on the underside of the rail. :rolleyes:

ghostman1960
12-02-10, 18:13
I can't really believe people care about this. Even with a LaRue the most you'll get a couple tiny spots even after repeated use.

If all you did all day was take the mount on and off it could be an issue in a year or something. Even though these mounts are QD it doesn't mean the purpose of them is to be taken on and off repeatedly for no reason.

I have a hard time believing people actually use their guns if they are worried about the possibility of a little bright spot on the underside of the rail. :rolleyes:

Im not worried about it. This is the first time I ever took it off and was just curious about it. I just wanted to know if it was particular to QD mounts because this is my first one. Simple as that. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Belmont31R
12-02-10, 18:15
Im not worried about it. This is the first time I ever took it off and was just curious about it. I just wanted to know if it was particular to QD mounts because this is my first one. Simple as that. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not directed at you. Just stating that some people get worked up about a little marring like its the end of world for a mount, and been used by certain companies against others as a selling point.

emt370
12-02-10, 18:33
I almost like the fact that there is finish wear. It lets me know that it is clamping down with a great deal of force and is getting a solid lock-up.

markm
12-02-10, 19:00
Never heard this about ADM.... I've heard of rails getting "LaRuined" how ever.

C4IGrant
12-02-10, 19:13
As an ADM user and dealer, I have never heard of this either. My guess is that the anodizing isn't up to spec or the levers were overly tightened.

C4

ucrt
12-02-10, 21:07

==========================

Just curious, what make is your upper?

ghostman1960
12-02-10, 21:09
==========================

Just curious, what make is your upper?

BCM. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing bad to say about it.

rob_s
12-03-10, 05:29
You may have it too tight. I don't think it's a big deal if it wears the finish a little bit. The first time you come back from the line at the end of a hard day training in July and you just throw the carbine on the ground or in the back of the truck you'll put worse scratches on it. and still won't care. :D

mtdawg169
12-03-10, 07:04
Ghostman, what kind of finish wear are we talking about here? Is it wearing along the entire mount surface or are we talking about a small bright spot? Can you post a picture? Also, how tight are your levers? Are they easily removed by hand?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ghostman1960
12-03-10, 10:14
Ghostman, what kind of finish wear are we talking about here? Is it wearing along the entire mount surface or are we talking about a small bright spot? Can you post a picture? Also, how tight are your levers? Are they easily removed by hand?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
It eight shiney spots on the corner of the top of each rail the mount covers. One of the spots it down to bare metal. Also one section of the rail the finish is removed along the inside edge of the rail.

I do not think its too tight because if I back up one turn on the bolt it is too loose. If I turn the bolt one turn in the other direction the lever will not even close.

C4IGrant
12-03-10, 10:46
BCM. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing bad to say about it.

Their anodizing is correct.

If possible, I would love to see pics of the damage.

C4

ghostman1960
12-03-10, 10:51
Their anodizing is correct.

If possible, I would love to see pics of the damage.

C4

I tried to take pics but it just comes out as a blur. I cannot get close up shots with my cheap camera. Its not a big deal as I dont plan on taking the mount back off anyway.

C4IGrant
12-03-10, 10:57
I tried to take pics but it just comes out as a blur. I cannot get close up shots with my cheap camera. Its not a big deal as I dont plan on taking the mount back off anyway.

If your camera has a MACRO setting (looks like a flower on most cameras), try that setting.

Also, take the pic outside under normal lighting.

C4

ucrt
12-03-10, 10:58
It eight shiney spots on the corner of the top of each rail the mount covers. One of the spots it down to bare metal. Also one section of the rail the finish is removed along the inside edge of the rail.

I do not think its too tight because if I back up one turn on the bolt it is too loose. If I turn the bolt one turn in the other direction the lever will not even close.

=============================

Sounds like it still might be loose and moving under recoil.

I've found to be about right, it is pretty hard to close the lever and much harder to open it. I lube with grease under the cam to help.
If it is over tightened, I heard the bolt will break. I think if you can close the lever with hard pressure from just your fingers you won't break it but having to extra froce by using your palm might.

How is its repeatability?

You might give ADM a call.

ghostman1960
12-03-10, 11:24
Ok this is the best that I can do with the photos. You can see some of what I am trying to explain. I didn't realize how dusty my rifle was.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF2090.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF2093.jpg

C4IGrant
12-03-10, 11:31
Thanks for the pics.

To be honest, I was expecting a lot more damage.

What you are seeing happen on the edges of the rails (where the finish is the weakest) can happen from simply setting the mount onto the rail, sliding it back and fourth as you adjust it.

Everything is normal (no matter who makes the mount) so drive on.

C4

ra2bach
12-03-10, 11:31
as someone mentioned, if you've put many rounds through it, it may be that the mount is not tight enough, rather than too tight. it doesn't take a lot of movement for steel to gouge aluminum.

I was in the same boat and thought I had it as tight as it should be but it wasn't. I hadn't shot the gun yet so I didn't gouge up my rail but I did notice a little softness in the grip of the mount.

what I did was make sure I had some good grease on the cam and worked it gently on a setting with light resistance. then I adjusted it up a notch and continued to work the lever gently till it seated.

note that there is some play in the position of the nut within each of the notches and it's possible to vary tension by moving the nut forward or back within the recess. I just moved it from the "front" of the last notch, to the "back" of the next, and adjusted forward within that notch till I was sure I was in the correct one.

mine is very secure and the latches close easily till about the last 15-20% of rotation where they cinch down firmly. my BCM upper is unmarked after shooting two full mags with a 1-4 scope mounted this way.

hope this helps...

ghostman1960
12-03-10, 11:40
Thank you everyone.

Deaj
12-03-10, 12:31
Ok this is the best that I can do with the photos. You can see some of what I am trying to explain. I didn't realize how dusty my rifle was.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF2090.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF2093.jpg

This looks OK to me. It looks like the rail is being used as intended. I see similar wear from occasionally swapping between a HWS and a scope/mount.

SOF1971
12-09-10, 17:33
If it stays on and doesn't get loose, assault rifles don't always keep the finish but I'd rather worry about accuracy than a little paint!

JSantoro
12-09-10, 23:10
I was anticipating seeing more scuff than that, too. Had that been the case, I'd have asked how hard the handle is to close/open. Should be somewhere around the same level of effort it takes to pull a beer-can tab open. If more than that, one should loosen the tension of the throw-arm until it's to the proper tension.

Per the photos, nothing out of the ordinary. Lots of folks keep their LT and ADM mounts too tight, and end up doing more than burnishing the finish, with no additional security or other benefit to the optic. It's possible to go down to bare metal, at times.