PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon RMR

Omen
12-02-10, 16:27
Does anyone have experience with Trijicon's RMR products? I ran a search and nothing comes up.

I was able to look one over and they seem robust. What really interested me was how light and compact they are with a reported 2 year battery life.

How would these stack up to a T-1 with regard to weight and durability?

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=13

Thank you.

spdldr
12-02-10, 19:28
Check out "More Red Dot sights on handguns" in the handgun section.

Dave

Boonie Packer

Skyfire1201
12-04-10, 02:18
I've played with one in a shop, and it's definitely sturdy with the aluminum body. But what I don't like is the lens seem to have quite a bit of distorsion around the edges. The factory mount is also quite heavy (made of a solid bar of aluminum and a steel knob).

I ended up getting an Insight MRDS, which doesn't have much distortion, and automatically adjusts brightness with ambient light. It's hard to find a proper mount for the MRDS though, given the factory and ADM mount is too low for proper co-witness. The KZ mount at Botach is the only single piece mount I'm aware of that provides proper co-witness with the MRDS on an AR system.

Hope that helps.

Spiffums
12-04-10, 06:40
I've played with one in a shop, and it's definitely sturdy with the aluminum body. But what I don't like is the lens seem to have quite a bit of distorsion around the edges. The factory mount is also quite heavy (made of a solid bar of aluminum and a steel knob).

I ended up getting an Insight MRDS, which doesn't have much distortion, and automatically adjusts brightness with ambient light. It's hard to find a proper mount for the MRDS though, given the factory and ADM mount is too low for proper co-witness. The KZ mount at Botach is the only single piece mount I'm aware of that provides proper co-witness with the MRDS on an AR system.

Hope that helps.

Aren't these sights a little on the small side for an AR?

Skyfire1201
12-04-10, 19:48
Reddot scopes are, to me, the smaller and the lighter the better (provided they are durable). The function of a reddot is to project a dot in the field of aim, and as long as it serves that function, the less weight and obtrusiveness the scope adds to the rifle the better.

vietboy1st
12-05-10, 09:44
Trijicon red dot and rmr are simular to each other. different is the red dot model you need the hex screw to adjust the sight and rmr you need a dime or penny and adjust it there.
weight. Super super light
feature : the red dot can automatic adjust to the lightning and condition. Battery life can last up to 35,000 hours or more i believe.
Not good: use it under weater. because the battery compartment not designed to seal up.
It perfects for pistol or mount it on top of the acog. The werid thing is it doesn't have on and off button for red dot. It has the cap for you to close it up as off, when you remove the cap off the red dot will turn on.
:)

bp7178
12-05-10, 11:28
you needs a dime or penis and adjust it there.

Never used my penis for optic adjustments.

How many of these optics that you post about have you actually owned?

vietboy1st
12-05-10, 13:29

HAHA thank you for making me laugh of my spelling. sorry you use penny not penis lol:sarcastic::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I never used it but i figured that out and i have the trijicon red dot simular to rmr newest model for sale so that's why.:laugh:

Rhutch
12-19-10, 13:34
I have the RMR mounted on my ACOG and I like it. As for the weather comment, my RMR has an o-ring on the bottom that seals on which ever mount you use so I don't see an issue with water and the RMR.

It's light, seems pretty durable, the dot is bright. It uses a standard cheap Lithium button cell so I'm not overly concerned with battery life.

VooDoo6Actual
12-19-10, 14:02
I've been using one on a 6.8 SBR that I'm very satisfied with.

Robust, bright, no distortion issues, light & good piece of KIT.

HTH YMMV

cop1211
12-19-10, 19:23

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

vietboy1st
12-19-10, 19:31
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

they are all mine.. But i never used the P to adjust the sight lol..:sarcastic:

Omen
12-22-10, 08:45
Are they a viable alternative to the Aimpoint T-1?

Outlander Systems
12-22-10, 20:34
Are they a viable alternative to the Aimpoint T-1?

Yes, but with the caveat that it is highly subjective depending upon what your intended applications are for your particular weapon system that you plan on adding the RMR to.

Are you looking to add it as the primary optic? A secondary optic? What sort of role is the weapon configured for? All these queries are a factor in determining whether this optic is suitable for your uses.

I absolutely am enamoured by the RMR. Until Trijicon releases a "Tri-Powered" version of it, it will be my go-to 1X RDS from here on out.

I had the RM05, 9-MOA version on a Ruger SR-556. Neither of which is still with me.
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5606/sr5562.jpg

The 9-MOA dot is big. Very big. It radiates like the sun in outdoor conditions. Thus far, it is the most visible dot I've ever used. I was hesitant to accept the amber reticule, but it's awesome. All that being said, the 9-MOA dot is a tad large for >100-yard shooting.

RMR Reticule (9-MOA):
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/787/rmr1.jpg

Currently I'm configuring a build with the RM04 as the primary optic. My needs are specific; I had set out to build an "intermediate" ranged weapon, but realised this configuration is outside of my practical applications. Considering that my build is being tailored towards sub-100 yard shooting, I think the RMR is the perfect optic, for me.

YMMV.

Omen
12-23-10, 16:00
Are you looking to add it as the primary optic? A secondary optic? What sort of role is the weapon configured for? All these queries are a factor in determining whether this optic is suitable for your uses.

Good point. To clarify my question: As a primary optic on a platform where the T-1 is deemed suitable as a primary optic, can this hack it? Pros and Cons vs. the Aimpoint (for those that have both)?