PDA

View Full Version : ACE or VLTOR adapter for AK M4 style stock?

calvin118
12-03-10, 01:03
I have decided to put a CTR on my AK, and was wondering if anyone had experience with the VLTOR stock adapter.

I know that a number of people here have said that the ACE is a good product, but I am a bit nervouse about irreversibly altering my receiver. It would, however, have the benefit of folding.

Which would you guys prefer?

Tex
12-03-10, 02:01
I also have a question.
Recommend the AK M4 style stock adapter for AK-74M(AKS-74) type rifles.
Thanks.

Corey
12-03-10, 11:47
I have both. My Ace stock is a sidefolder and it is rock solid, but is heavier that the Vltor adaptor and stock. The Vltor gives you a storage space inside the tube and does not require modifying your receiver. Both are very comfortable and stable.

It comes down to a few questions for youself. How stuck on an M4 style stock are you? How important is not modifying your receiver?
Which is more important, folding or adjustable LOP? How critical is weight to you?

I have had both for 5 years now and I find I shoot the gun with the Ace more often, but which is better is going to depend on the individual.

Edited to add:
I read too fast and did not realize you were referring to the Ace AR adapter. I have the Ace adapter and sidefolder set with a standard Ace stock, not the AR style so some info does not apply. The weight difference is going to be nominal, and you will have LOP adjustment with either adaptor, so it really comes down to if you want sidefolding capability at the cost of modifying the receiver. The Ace sidefolding mechanism is good and locks up solid. My is 5 years old and is rock solid, no signs of loosening.

snakedoctor
12-03-10, 13:39
Which AK47 M4 buttstock adapter do you guys reccomend? Not really looking for a side folder, just an adapter to allow me to collapse the stock and use a mil-spec CTR.

96 SS
12-03-10, 14:37
Vltor stuff has always impressed me.

NCPatrolAR
12-03-10, 14:44
No complaints with my Vltor adaptor.

Corey
12-03-10, 14:54
Vltor is the way to go to me, only exception would be if you want a folder.

kartoffel
12-03-10, 15:00
Both are solid. Main question is: do you want to fold or not? And next, do you want a folding stock badly enough to chop the tang off your receiver?

I've got a Saiga with an Ace setup, and it's plenty solid. One decent alternative to the internal block is to weld up the back of the receiver with a blank plate, then drill and tap the plate to accept an Ace hinge mechanism. This'll save a little weight over the Ace internal adapter. You can also mill the back of the receiver to fit the back plate at whatever angle you want. Some people like the tube parallel to the barrel, like an AR. Some people like 1.5 degrees of droop vs. the barrel, which will put the tube parallel with the bottom of the receiver.

calvin118
12-03-10, 16:00
Thanks for the information guys. Is one significantly shorter than the other when completely collapsed? Also, does anyone know the difference in weight between the installed VLTOR and the ACE setup? I looked at the manufacturers' web sites and could not find them.